Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Sword Coast Legends Pre-Release Thread

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I wonder if Pillars turns out to be even a moderate financial success we will see a complete inflation of the words "old school RPG".

Like people see the success of a couple of KS-projects and wonder hmm, why is it that these boring ass games with words and shit have gained so much traction, hmm... Aha! It's because they're old school. That's it! Call off the marketing campaign Jim, people don't think being modern and easily accessible is trendy anymore, what's trendy is being old school.

I mean it's sort of already happened with the indie games (as people in this thread have pointed out), but we'll see if in the future the marketers of the bigger budget RPGs try to sell their product by hiring a guy who worked as a janitor for Black Isle in the 90s going "hey guys, this shit is old school, yo! Back to the roots and keeping it real baby" or something like that, I honestly don't know the jargon, but you get my point.

And of course it doesn't matter if the game actually is old school or not, just dropping those words is guaranteed to get you a couple of sold units.
My thoughts exactly! Isn't this attitude what we're witnessing with SCL?

The irony of "old school" becoming a selling point (on which you have no intention to deliver of course) is that you implicitly admit that all your non-"old school" games in the last 12 years have been shit. :lol: Nice to see some sincerity for a change. Even if it's non-intended.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have wasted 10 minutes of my life watching that second video. I could have been playing PoE instead.

Choices and consequnces.

Branm

Learned
WOW-like art is a huge turn off.

While I agree thay doesnt seem to have much impact on the codex....Divinity which also has the WoW art up its ass was hailed as the second coming of Jesus from a ton of people on the codex. Then again that game also had pathetic writing....Still can't understand how that game got SOOO much credit here.

I backed the game and never managed to get out of Cyseal or whatever the first city was called...The writing was just So bad....ugh makes me cringe just thinking about it.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

While I agree thay doesnt seem to have much impact on the codex....Divinity which also has the WoW art up its ass was hailed as the second coming of Jesus from a ton of people on the codex. Then again that game also had pathetic writing....Still can't understand how that game got SOOO much credit here.

I backed the game and never managed to get out of Cyseal or whatever the first city was called...The writing was just So bad....ugh makes me cringe just thinking about it.

This forum is all about the combat and mechanics you fag ,storyfags are not welcomed here.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Well, looks to me like it could be a fun short and shallow popcorn romp, i.e. bargain Steam sale material. (Just as well. My backlog keeps growing, anyway.) Frankly, I just want them to sate my OCD by telling us which two classes other than the classic tetrad will be available; I feel like I know everything else (other than most narrative-related stuff, of course) there is to know about the game already, and it's not like there even could - let alone would - be any sweeping changes at this point (other than - at least in theory - the inventory, but considering how they're clearly eyeing a port to consoles, I really, really doubt that).
This information was already given to us. Should I tell you? NAH :P

Tigranes

Arcane

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space
And those who do would never go near FR after the changes in fourth. Sorry.
Well, to be fair, they went back on pretty much all of the lore rape. Personally, while I harbor no burning hatred for FR (said lore rape aside) and do cherish some fond memories (mostly thanks to IE/NWN), I just want something else for once (and do prefer GH for classic fantasy). It pisses me off that we only got shit games out of their push for Eberron a decade ago and nothing since.

Well, looks to me like it could be a fun short and shallow popcorn romp, i.e. bargain Steam sale material. (Just as well. My backlog keeps growing, anyway.) Frankly, I just want them to sate my OCD by telling us which two classes other than the classic tetrad will be available; I feel like I know everything else (other than most narrative-related stuff, of course) there is to know about the game already, and it's not like there even could - let alone would - be any sweeping changes at this point (other than - at least in theory - the inventory, but considering how they're clearly eyeing a port to consoles, I really, really doubt that).
This information was already given to us. Should I tell you? NAH :P
I only remember reading about the races and just can't be arsed to do more than a superficial search on this game. It's not like not knowing causes me physical pain.

Edit not worthy of a new post: Hmm, I remember reading exactly those words regarding races in that Venture Beat interview; must have stopped reading right after for some reason. So, paladins and rangers, huh? Well, most classic choice, for sure.

Last edited:

Mustawd

Fair enough. D:OS was pretty WOW-ed up as well. Maybe it's just the presentation that irks me a bit. For example, the voiced over banter was pretty annoying. Everything about the video reminded me that this was made for younger audiences in mind. Never got that feeling with D:OS.

Or maybe we're all just cynics who like to call games shit? *shrug*

ArchAngel

Arcane
Why does anyone even have a shred of giving a shit about this shit

Because it has the D&D™ name in it.
This. D&D reminds us of good times we had with previous D&D cRPGs so we cannot help it.

But it's not D&D. If you see the videos and still think that, I'd like you to try this hidden gem in the Fallout universe called BOS...
I know but when I see words D&D my brain is not functioning properly. I even played Demon Stone (until it bugged out and I could not progress) and that D&D RTS shit :D
To my defense I didn't try Daggerdale but I played both D&D Online and Neverwinter MMO only because of D&D tag (otherwise I don't play any MMOs; I tried SWTOR for 1 week after it went F2P, I am also weak for Star Wars names on games :D)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
^ Dragonshard was actually p. good. Had nothing to do with D&D of course, but it was a p. decent game.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Dragonshard was playable and had some unique stuff, but I tried to play it again few months ago and it is pretty terrible now when I compare it to all RTSs I tried in my life.

LeJosh

Savant
Saw some of the screenshots for this, anybody else think the UI looks eerily similar to D:OS?

But hey, whatever works.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom