Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Sword Coast Legends Pre-Release Thread

Lhynn

Arcane
The only time he would be wrong is if he ever acknowledges he made a mistake.

On the subject of cooldowns, they arent a bad thing on their own and a lot of interesting game mechanics can involve cooldowns, the problem is usually one of implementation. They do get a bit old tho.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
(Feb 24):
The more I hear, the bigger turd I expect.

If anything, the sleazy salesman talk and name-dropping should have set off your shit-detectors.

I'll tell you what this looks like to me. WotC are trying to cash in but have fallen so far behind the times that they have bet on a lame horse - it was possible to cash in on a NWN clone 10 years ago. Nowadays you need a Skyrim clone for that. :M

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
I think this looks pretty cool, but I guess nobody knows exactly what it will be yet.

ArchAngel

Arcane
From SCL forums:
Grimknuckle said:
D&D doesn't call them cooldowns, but they do exist. Perfect example: reactions. No matter how many times something would trigger a reaction, such as a creature moving out of your 5' range triggering an opportunity attack, you only get one reaction per round. It essentially has a cooldown of one round. Casting times for spells are essentially cooldowns. Some spells have a casting time of one action, and as long as you have the necessary spell slots available, you can cast them round after round; but others (granted, usually not those that you would cast in combat) take longer, minutes or even hours. Once you begin casting them, you can't begin casting them until the spell actually fires. Sure, it's a stretch, but it IS a cooldown, especially in a combat situation. Even abilities and spell slots that only become available after short rests and long rests are essentially cooldowns--they're just manually reset cooldowns that the party agrees to reset at the same time.

At the end of the day though, it's all semantics. It's resource management at an encounter level vs. a multi-encounter level.
WOW, this guy is a try hard. Dear god, the idiots of this world...

ArchAngel

Arcane
And he is pretty vocal of their forums and people are letting him continue with this bullshit.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
From SCL forums:
Grimknuckle said:
D&D doesn't call them cooldowns, but they do exist. Perfect example: reactions. No matter how many times something would trigger a reaction, such as a creature moving out of your 5' range triggering an opportunity attack, you only get one reaction per round. It essentially has a cooldown of one round. Casting times for spells are essentially cooldowns. Some spells have a casting time of one action, and as long as you have the necessary spell slots available, you can cast them round after round; but others (granted, usually not those that you would cast in combat) take longer, minutes or even hours. Once you begin casting them, you can't begin casting them until the spell actually fires. Sure, it's a stretch, but it IS a cooldown, especially in a combat situation. Even abilities and spell slots that only become available after short rests and long rests are essentially cooldowns--they're just manually reset cooldowns that the party agrees to reset at the same time.

At the end of the day though, it's all semantics. It's resource management at an encounter level vs. a multi-encounter level.
WOW, this guy is a try hard. Dear god, the idiots of this world...
I'm not sure if this is Bargaigning, Acceptance, or just Too Stupid phase.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/115283-sword-coast-legends-gameplay-livestream-2-tomorrow.html

EXCLUSIVE SWORD COAST LEGENDS™ LIVESTREAM ON TWITCH, PART 2

-- THURSDAY, MARCH 26 @ 3:00pm EDT --

Part 2 Behind Closed Doors Press Demo Shown; Dungeon Master Mode, Dungeon Crawl and More Revealed

WHO: Developed by n-Space, Sword Coast Legends™ is a party-based PC RPG set in the Dungeons & Dragons Forgotten Realms universe from Wizards of the Coast. The game offers an all-new way to play D&D by bringing the roleplaying dynamic between players and a Dungeon Master (DM) to life with a first-of-its-kind, real-time DM mode.

WHAT: Join n-Space president and Sword Coast Legends Game Director Dan Tudge as he and the development team provide fans the second half of the first ever demo of the game including exclusive reveals of Dungeon Crawl and Dungeon Master modes.

Tune into the action as the intrepid adventurers continue their search for the Ashen Priest following their successful infiltration of the city of Luskan and a challenging encounter with a gigantic Ogre Zombie in the city’s graveyard.

Sword Coast Legends Livestream Part 1: http://goo.gl/hcO192

Livestream Participants:
• Game Director, Dan Tudge
• Design Director, Tim Schwalk
• Tech Director, Ross Gardner
• Community Manager, Ash Sevilla

WHEN: Thursday, March 26 at 3:00pm EDT

WHERE: Sword Coast Legends Livestream: http://www.twitch.tv/SwordCoastLegends

UPCOMING: One final exclusive Sword Coast Legends livestream will be featured on Twitch next week:
• Live Q&A with Game Director Dan Tudge: Thursday, April 2 @ 3:00pm EDT

Everybody's going to be too busy playing PoE to give a fuck lol

imweasel

Everybody's going to be too busy playing PoE to give a fuck lol
>1,5 k viewers on Twitcher.

+M

Anyway, they actually talked about this game the this time instead of just playing a video.

The DM feature is actually pretty neat. You can assume direct control (in before lol, Mass Effect 2, lol) of creatures as the DM.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I thought the voice acting was kids talking over skype.
good shit.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So does anyone still genuinely believe this is going to turn out better than Pillars? :)

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space
Well, looks to me like it could be a fun short and shallow popcorn romp, i.e. bargain Steam sale material. (Just as well. My backlog keeps growing, anyway.) Frankly, I just want them to sate my OCD by telling us which two classes other than the classic tetrad will be available; I feel like I know everything else (other than most narrative-related stuff, of course) there is to know about the game already, and it's not like there even could - let alone would - be any sweeping changes at this point (other than - at least in theory - the inventory, but considering how they're clearly eyeing a port to consoles, I really, really doubt that).

eremita

Savant
So does anyone still genuinely believe this is going to turn out better than Pillars? :)
I do.:smug: At least when it comes to combat anyway. Also, it seems to me the character movement across the battlefiled is much more fluid a natural compare to PoE. Oh and without that retarded engagement mechanic... In the hands of capable DM, there's a great potential for proper encounter design...

AwesomeButton

Patron
I do.:smug: At least when it comes to combat anyway. Also, it seems to me the character movement across the battlefiled is much more fluid a natural compare to PoE. Oh and without that retarded engagement mechanic... In the hands of capable DM, there's a great potential for proper encounter design...
Come on, even PoE combat is better than kooldowns!

Jarakka

Learned
I wonder if Pillars turns out to be even a moderate financial success we will see a complete inflation of the words "old school RPG".

Like people see the success of a couple of KS-projects and wonder hmm, why is it that these boring ass games with words and shit have gained so much traction, hmm... Aha! It's because they're old school. That's it! Call off the marketing campaign Jim, people don't think being modern and easily accessible is trendy anymore, what's trendy is being old school.

I mean it's sort of already happened with the indie games (as people in this thread have pointed out), but we'll see if in the future the marketers of the bigger budget RPGs try to sell their product by hiring a guy who worked as a janitor for Black Isle in the 90s going "hey guys, this shit is old school, yo! Back to the roots and keeping it real baby" or something like that, I honestly don't know the jargon, but you get my point.

And of course it doesn't matter if the game actually is old school or not, just dropping those words is guaranteed to get you a couple of sold units.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom