Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Sword Coast Legends Pre-Release Thread

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
I don't mind that a company makes this trash shit, I mean, idiots deserve to have their games too, but... what I do mind is when they sell these games like they are appealing to the traditional crowd. For that, I hope they lose their asses.

The problem is that a boycott can easily send the wrong message; if SCL is a commercial failure, we lose any chance at getting a more faithful and more complex sequel. Most of the senior staff on this project came from DA:O; I think they really want to code a new hardcore RPG, but they need to show investors that there's a market for them.
OR the ANALysts, seeing the game success, will propose to make it even more accessible to broaden the audience to earn even more money with the sequel.
DA2?

zero29

Arbiter
I don't mind that a company makes this trash shit, I mean, idiots deserve to have their games too, but... what I do mind is when they sell these games like they are appealing to the traditional crowd. For that, I hope they lose their asses.

The problem is that a boycott can easily send the wrong message; if SCL is a commercial failure, we lose any chance at getting a more faithful and more complex sequel. Most of the senior staff on this project came from DA:O; I think they really want to code a new hardcore RPG, but they need to show investors that there's a market for them.

the good old "buy a shit game so that the next can be better"-gambit? :lol:

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Has it ever worked? Inb4 "Yes, for Obsidian" - they still had to go to KS to make PoE a reality.

As for n-Space, they probably didn't have a lot of options with SCL. It's doubtful that WotC would agree to sell a license to a crowdsourced project so KS was possibly out of question. And without the license, what could they offer to the KS crowd? It is my understanding that they're making the game on their own money earned from previous projects. And to make that money they've been negroing for Nintendo since 1994. No wonder they want to hedge their bet somewhat by opting for a low-risk mainstream project.

And they're rather transparent about what kind of game they are making. They could keep all the details in secret until release but they don't. You can read a couple of interviews, watch a video and make a more or less educated choice. So why all the hatred?

Last edited:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
As for n-Space, they probably didn't have a lot of options with SCL. It's doubtful that WotC would agree to sell a license to a crowdsourced project so KS was probably out of question. So it is my understanding that they're making the game on their own money earned from previous projects. No wonder they want to hedge their bet opting for a low-risk project.
I honestly think a hardcore BG clone with as faithful a representation of 5E rules as they could manage would be fairly low risk, as there's a lot of fans out there who would jump on another BG style game. The market is mostly limited to those fans though, so the potential profit is also quite low, but it would be a safe investment if they could keep the budget under control. And actually make a good game of course.

Aiming for the casual market is riskier since casuals don't make rational purchases, they just buy whatever is popular. So if the marketing for some reason doesn't work out, you're left with a dud. On the upside, if your game does get popular you'll be swimming in money.

Athelas

Arcane
Has it ever worked?
250px-Nwn2motbboxart.jpg
:troll:

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Someone should tell them the right order of letters and all will be fine.
just make an ADD, not a DDA

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
Ok so what exactly is the general verdict for this game?

Is this a 3D BG2 ?

A new Dragon age ?

A new NW2 ?

Or Mask of the betrayer?

Xenich

Cipher
Indeed. There certainly is not enough MMO cooldown combat games out there.

DIE.. you go to Hell and you DIE!!! YOU DIE IN A FIRE!!!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom