Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Sword Coast Legends Pre-Release Thread

jimmy_pvish

Savant
I wonder if the devs will realize that there is a problem. Three actually.

p5zYqRy.jpg

https://forums.swordcoast.com/index.php?/topic/391-about-inventory-and-cooldowns-and-combat-log-duh/
Why there is no poll for TB/RTwP to choose?:decline:

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
best TB combat since JA2
not-sure-if-serious.jpg
The combat was interesting maybe until level 5. After that I roflstomped everything on full auto-pilot (on highest difficulty of course).

lots of environment interaction
Yeah, it's the only thing that keeps me from rating D:OS as total garbage.

some emergent gameplay
See my comment above re. combat.

a decent char system.
If you call that decent. /shrug
I've seen worse but I've definitely seen better.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Haha, SCL forums are even crazier now. People are opening new topics and going mad all over the place :)
And we have not even seen the character advancement systems. I bet those are MMO standard as well. I really hope these devs are not idiots and will understand they might have fucked up.
Fucked up? No, I bet this was their plan all along. They were deliberately vague about the true nature of the game long enough to milk gamers hoping for a new BG with overpriced pre-orders. Now it's time to start marketing towards the real target audience, ignoring the grognards whining on the forum.

Fuckers.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Fucked up? No, I bet this was their plan all along. They were deliberately vague about the true nature of the game long enough to milk gamers hoping for a new BG with overpriced pre-orders.
You mean there are people who could - even if for a moment - believe that SCL had the potential to become a new BG? They deserve to be ripped off because stupidity is a crime.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The Vile Nature Of A D&d Community....

I am just in shock, this forum used to be a fun place to come to. Now it's full of hate and rude comments. Have had my fair share tossed at me. One minor game mechanic has thrown the majority of you into a rage. I honestly feel bad for the developer currently. Never have I seen such a toxic outbreak on a forum in such a short time.

Quite sure the next reply to this thread will be something along the lines of "Do you even D&D bro" that is honestly how I view the majority of you currently. It's the manner in which you are acting during replies. I did D&D years ago, it was neat. The experience I had was losing myself into a fantasy world and going along the dark tale.. It was not a military camp, where rules were pounded into your face at every turn..

After Cooldowns are changed what's next? what other part of the game will you rip apart. Oh wait, a great deal are already focusing on the inventory system.. the voice acting (in alpha.. of all things) What will be next.

Enjoy your late 2016- early 2017 game, if it can get there.. the most you complain and demand change, the longer it takes.

Worrisome.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well at least we have a proposed definition for rpg now:

A military camp, where rules were pounded into your face at every turn.

ArchAngel

Arcane
The Vile Nature Of A D&d Community....

I am just in shock, this forum used to be a fun place to come to. Now it's full of hate and rude comments. Have had my fair share tossed at me. One minor game mechanic has thrown the majority of you into a rage. I honestly feel bad for the developer currently. Never have I seen such a toxic outbreak on a forum in such a short time.

Quite sure the next reply to this thread will be something along the lines of "Do you even D&D bro" that is honestly how I view the majority of you currently. It's the manner in which you are acting during replies. I did D&D years ago, it was neat. The experience I had was losing myself into a fantasy world and going along the dark tale.. It was not a military camp, where rules were pounded into your face at every turn..

After Cooldowns are changed what's next? what other part of the game will you rip apart. Oh wait, a great deal are already focusing on the inventory system.. the voice acting (in alpha.. of all things) What will be next.

Enjoy your late 2016- early 2017 game, if it can get there.. the most you complain and demand change, the longer it takes.

Worrisome.
That girl (if it is a girl) is so funny on the forum. She is the one that people quoted earlier that asked for real white skin tone LOL. And then she complains when people say a D&D game needs D&D rules.

zero29

Arbiter

sser

Arcane
Developer
Wow those forums suck. Reminds me of the BioWare forums which nosedived into a shitshow sometime around Dragon Age's release.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I grit my teeth to play Baldur's gate and hated every moment of it. That god awful sling...Nwn I made a stone that cast cure light wounds to avoid sleeping all the time.
https://forums.swordcoast.com/index.php?/topic/398-spell-cool-downs/

If only I could kill ppl by hating them intensively...
While her exasperation is amusing (if it's genuine, which I doubt) she's made a point about slings. They were awful and completely outclassed by darts. And both were outclassed by bows. Every cleric PC in the IE games was melee and if it were possible to pick a specialization after dual-classing every mage PC in BG would be a fighter/mage (just to be able to use a bow).

Alchemist

Arcane
Apparently the voice-acting in the footage is placeholder and all by one dude that works there - according to a dev response: https://forums.swordcoast.com/index.php?/topic/399-fire-that-voice-actor/?p=4817
So there's that...

But I'm convinced now that as long as D&D is owned by Hasbro it will continue to be mishandled in the computer / video game market. They just can't seem to resist appealing to the wider market instead of catering directly to D&D players. Granted, they threw the grognards a bone with PnP 5E, which was a vast improvement over 4E. But in the digital realm they are apparently still as bumbling as ever.

da_rays

Augur
Well i can just speak for myself of course but ...... SCL forum + First Look video = Killed interest.

Look like Xenoblade western style offline MMO experience Chapter 1.

At least that Esper on SCL forum is an entertaining read. I do sympatize with anyone that have to debate ideas with him/her/it.

still keeping a slim tiny spark of hope that this could have a good overall fun factor.
But i feel already rape......:negative:

Xenich

Cipher
That "vile" thread poster is an obvious WoW generation non-gamer. Bright like one too.

Xenich

Cipher
Apparently the voice-acting in the footage is placeholder and all by one dude that works there - according to a dev response: https://forums.swordcoast.com/index.php?/topic/399-fire-that-voice-actor/?p=4817
So there's that...

But I'm convinced now that as long as D&D is owned by Hasbro it will continue to be mishandled in the computer / video game market. They just can't seem to resist appealing to the wider market instead of catering directly to D&D players. Granted, they threw the grognards a bone with PnP 5E, which was a vast improvement over 4E. But in the digital realm they are apparently still as bumbling as ever.

It was obvious from day 1 this was going to be a mainstream gimmick game. People got too excited about seeing "D&D" and ignored all the obvious signs in the early announcements or they just acted naively with "hope" that this would be different.

I don't mind that a company makes this trash shit, I mean, idiots deserve to have their games too, but... what I do mind is when they sell these games like they are appealing to the traditional crowd. For that, I hope they lose their asses.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I don't mind that a company makes this trash shit, I mean, idiots deserve to have their games too, but... what I do mind is when they sell these games like they are appealing to the traditional crowd. For that, I hope they lose their asses.

The problem is that a boycott can easily send the wrong message; if SCL is a commercial failure, we lose any chance at getting a more faithful and more complex sequel. Most of the senior staff on this project came from DA:O; I think they really want to code a new hardcore RPG, but they need to show investors that there's a market for them.

Xenich

Cipher

The problem is that a boycott can easily send the wrong message; if SCL is a commercial failure, we lose any chance at getting a more faithful and more complex sequel. Most of the senior staff on this project came from DA:O; I think they really want to code a new hardcore RPG, but they need to show investors that there's a market for them.

Here is the thing, they know there is a "a" market for more complex traditional titles, this was never the issue. The thing is, that market is nowhere near the size of the mainstream market and so investors are going to go where they get the most bang for their bucks. This means you will ALWAYS get these types of trashy "accessible" games from those seeking "money" as their primary reason. This will never change. So, continuing to reward them for their cheap marketing gimmicks only ends up encouraging them to keep shoveling out the same trash.

A company who truly is interested in appealing to that market will do so with their content and they won't use bullshit marketing lies to pull people in. You don't build integrity on the backs of lies and expect anything worthy to come from it. I think that if they "really want" to create that type of RPG, their works will speak for themselves. So far, their works do speak for themselves and... well... I think they "really want" to make some mainstream shit. /shrug

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bubbles is really killing it in this thread. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom