Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Sword Coast Legends Pre-Release Thread

imweasel

But Fallout is turn-based crap for noobs.

This game is going to be better than Planetscape: Tournament too.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

post-5348-1205182194.jpg

ArchAngel

Arcane
I see the more and more people are starting to complain about cooldowns and lack of resting on their forums. Good. I hope more and more do it. Fuck promoting a D&D game that is not really D&D

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady

That won't be hard; Planescape: Torment doesn't have much game-play - more like an interactive novel with a few stats.

I see the more and more people are starting to complain about cooldowns and lack of resting on their forums. Good. I hope more and more do it. Fuck promoting a D&D game that is not really D&D

Giggling with glee at the festering butthurt over cooldowns and fast-paced tactical game-play. With any luck, the game will be moddable to the point of Origins' RAVAge (which leaves BG2 SCS2+Ascension in the dust).

Last edited:

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
In before SCL is better than PoE troll threads.
I doubt anyone would say that. But it may end up being better than D:OS (I'm not sure at this point).
It is probably going to better than Baldur's Gate 2. And even Fallout.
Oh, I'm sorry. How thoughtless of me to cast a shadow of doubt on D:OS, the Codex Dope-Induced GOTY 2014.

But say, wasn't it also a 4-characters party co-op oriented slogfest with kool-downs, random loot, poor writing and poorer voice acting? I thought comparing it to SCL was only fair.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Haha, SCL forums are even crazier now. People are opening new topics and going mad all over the place :)
And we have not even seen the character advancement systems. I bet those are MMO standard as well. I really hope these devs are not idiots and will understand they might have fucked up.

btbgfel

Scholar
If everything I heard from my friends who played 5e trpg is right, I would say 5e rules is not fit for crpg.The battle is too imbalanced, even worse than 3r.

The fighters are too powerful.One 20lv fighter with right equipments and buffs can deal 880+ damage per round(more than Tiamat or Tarrasque's HP), which 12 times warlock, the best damage dealer among casters, can deal. Fighters' longbows also have longer range than spells --which is alright-- and sniper rifles in real life while manage to be more powerful than spells of same level casters.

Now let's talk about buff/debuff, one caster can only maintain ONE buff/debuff at a time. Fly?Stoneskin?Haste on your fighter?Hold your enemies? Pick ONE to cast. When the caster is hit, he/she must make a concentration check which is incredibly easy to blow(normally failure rate is over 40%), losing the buff and taking damage.

And don't forget casters only have about a half spell slots 3r casters have. Unless one enjoys throwing ray of frost over and over, times of resting will be doubled.

Of course, it won't be a problem if one likes just to hack,hack,stab,stab.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Dozens of people complaining on a forum doesn't mean anything. :M

Shannow

Waster of Time
In before SCL is better than PoE troll threads.
I doubt anyone would say that. But it may end up being better than D:OS (I'm not sure at this point).
It is probably going to better than Baldur's Gate 2. And even Fallout.
Oh, I'm sorry. How thoughtless of me to cast a shadow of doubt on D:OS, the Codex Dope-Induced GOTY 2014.

But say, wasn't it also a 4-characters party co-op oriented slogfest with kool-downs, random loot, poor writing and poorer voice acting? I thought comparing it to SCL was only fair.
You were forgetting the best TB combat since JA2, lots of environment interaction, some emergent gameplay and a decent char system.
But don't worry. The only thing you cast any shadow of doubt upon was your taste in games ;)

ArchAngel

Arcane
If everything I heard from my friends who played 5e trpg is right, I would say 5e rules is not fit for crpg.The battle is too imbalanced, even worse than 3r.

The fighters are too powerful.One 20lv fighter with right equipments and buffs can deal 880+ damage per round(more than Tiamat or Tarrasque's HP), which 12 times warlock, the best damage dealer among casters, can deal. Fighters' longbows also have longer range than spells --which is alright-- and sniper rifles in real life while manage to be more powerful than spells of same level casters.

Now let's talk about buff/debuff, one caster can only maintain ONE buff/debuff at a time. Fly?Stoneskin?Haste on your fighter?Hold your enemies? Pick ONE to cast. When the caster is hit, he/she must make a concentration check which is incredibly easy to blow(normally failure rate is over 40%), losing the buff and taking damage.

And don't forget casters only have about a half spell slots 3r casters have. Unless one enjoys throwing ray of frost over and over, times of resting will be doubled.

Of course, it won't be a problem if one likes just to hack,hack,stab,stab.
That is once per day for fighters and it only works for 1 round. What you are talking about is lvl 20 fighters having 4 attacks per round and once per day can get 3x their normal number or attacks. So 12. They also have to hit with all of them. What you wrote is it best case scenario, not what actually happens. In addition to being able to deal so much damage ONCE per day at LVL 20 they got nothing.
Spellcasters can still Fly, be Invisible, speak in all languages, teleport, change dimensions, enslave dragons and demons or just talk to them and anything else you can imagine.
Fighter kill stuff, they do it very well but that is all they do. Before 5e they didn't even do that well as even in that wizards, clerics and druids did it better.

Concentration check can also be made to always work if you build your character right. All it takes is two feats. By lvl 20 you will pass most of them. And you should not be even getting hit by the strongest enemy, if you are your party is failing their tasks anyways.

And casters have less slots because other classes now also have "charges" for their most powerful abilities. Also it is harder than ever for enemy to succeed in their saves if the caster is not a one trick pony.

They game is well balanced, much better than previous editions while also not killing the roleplaying like 4e did.

Last edited:

btbgfel

Scholar
They game is well balanced, much better than previous editions while also not killing the roleplaying like 4e did.
Not actually played 5e myself, only know this little from my classmate, so I can't say much.
And, stop deceiving yourself, there is no 4e.:rpgcodex:

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
LMAO @ SCL forums. People are finally starting to throw some criticism against cooldowns, combat that is too fast / spammy, and otherwise non-D&D likeness. Now some posters are claiming that the forums have lost their lovely polite atmosphere and everyone is just oozing hatred and rudeness.

You seriously shouldn't be allowed to say that something is not working and needs to be changed? Oh my...

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is traditional resting really that much better than cooldowns?
I mean, if it is well implemented, with zones that do not allow resting, possible random encounters while doing so, etc. then it is indeed better.
But if they do not have that kind of resting management, then clicking the resting button becomes meaningless and cooldowns are a better path.
At least I would rather have cooldowns than a screwed up resting mechanic.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
photo-thumb-1423.jpg

Ha...going to be honest. Limited spells is horrible. I am guessing most of you go rogue or warrior types. I had high hopes for this game..but with the community trying to make it a stressful game, where you cannot truly play the class desired.. Cooldowns make healers useless, sitting there slinging rocks for 1d2 dmg. *twirls a finger* If you all want the slowness of table top. Go play table top simulator on steam. it has D&D on it. Tossing that out there, since some felt it okay to tell others to play Diablo.

(...)

The only way I would be okay with spending time going to inns, would be if there were romance options.. there is not, and I am sure if there was. They would be male focused anyway. Popular thing in gaming now, make one or two male companions.. then drop in about ten or more female ones.

I grit my teeth to play Baldur's gate and hated every moment of it. That god awful sling...Nwn I made a stone that cast cure light wounds to avoid sleeping all the time.
https://forums.swordcoast.com/index.php?/topic/398-spell-cool-downs/

If only I could kill ppl by hating them intensively...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom