Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Sword Coast Legends Pre-Release Thread

jimmy_pvish

Savant
In 5e, spell don't scale to your level anymore, if you want more powerful Magic Missile you have to memories it in higher spell slots.
So, maybe Magic Missile II is just Magic Missile prepare in lv2 spell slots.

The same for Cure Wounds, there are no Light, Moderate, Serious version anymore
Just Cure Wounds as lv1 divine spell, Mass Cure Wounds at 5, Heal at 6, Mass Heal at 9.
Basically, Light, Moderate, Serious version of Cure Wounds are became Cure Wounds prepare in higher spell slots.
We already discussed this, it is not that. And Magic Missile in lvl 2 slot gives you additional missile while their MM lvl 2 still has only 3 missiles. They probably just scale damage.

And that is not the main problems, cooldowns and no resting is. They removed both strategic and tactical decisions from the game because of that and made it no longer D&D but in name
MM II have 4 bolts in that video.
But you are right about cooldowns and no resting.
It's seem all spell have unlimited use and it's mean auto heal after every fight.
No need strategic at all, just spam spell and special attack with no consequence.

Damn this is much worst than I think. it is ever more simple and more popamole than diablo.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
In 5e, spell don't scale to your level anymore, if you want more powerful Magic Missile you have to memories it in higher spell slots.

Just Cure Wounds as lv1 divine spell, Mass Cure Wounds at 5, Heal at 6, Mass Heal at 9.
Basically, Light, Moderate, Serious version of Cure Wounds are became Cure Wounds prepare in higher spell slots.
We already discussed this, it is not that. And Magic Missile in lvl 2 slot gives you additional missile while their MM lvl 2 still has only 3 missiles. They probably just scale damage.

And that is not the main problems, cooldowns and no resting is. They removed both strategic and tactical decisions from the game because of that and made it no longer D&D but in name
It's seem all spell have unlimited use and it's mean auto heal after every fight.
No need strategic at all, just spam spell and special attack with no consequence.

Damn this is much worst than I think. it is ever more simple and more popamole than diablo.
At one point they mouse over MM II and the description says 3 missiles.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I will not say this game is dead to me but this is not D&D. No resting, autohealing and all abilities on cooldowns :(
And even worse the game played itself. The guy controls one guy, does not pause except at start of combat and the other 3 characters kept using their abilities and switching targets and all.
The longsword +2 and ring of regeneration on low level characters also does not bode well. The combat was basically some MMO action shit. I think even DAO had better combat. If this is how release will look no way in hell I am buying this game. I might pirate it to play it once if at least story will be decent.
I am so sad now after this stream :( :(
I was so hoping for a proper D&D game, and this one is not that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOiZGWeGxVI - gameplay video they played on stream.
My God, the voice acting and writing on this piece of shit makes me think David Gaider is a good writer. "Wait, this man spine is broken in two, no normal zombie would do something like thissssss." this makes Shakespeare jealous with such splendid dialogue and witty party banter.:lol: And the locations they chosen to show off... are you ready for... sewers with bandits inside and graveyard with zombies... this is overwhelming originality guys. Man, this shovelware piece of shit will be dumped on the market and barely remembered a day afterwards and Hasbro or who the fuck make the decisions on DnD these days will continue to make shitty mobile games.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So this is basically Dungeons & Dragons Age? :M

Dear Wizards of the Coast,

Why do you hate turn based D&D games?

With love,

The Codex

DeepOcean

Arcane
It looks like Neverwinter Nights 1 OC of Dragon Age shovelware edition to me.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
I haven't noticed until recently that there's no combat log, for some reason I took it for granted that there is. What the fuck, what the fuck?:rpgcodex:

ArchAngel

Arcane
It looks like Neverwinter Nights 1 OC of Dragon Age shovelware edition to me.
NWN1 had real D&D character creation, real feats, real spellcasting, resting and all the rest. SCL does not even deserve to be compared with NWN 1 OC

ArchAngel

Arcane
I haven't noticed until recently that there's no combat log, for some reason I took it for granted that there is. What the fuck, what the fuck?:rpgcodex:
Why do you need a combat log in a aRPG that plays itself? And it is not like you need to make any important decisions.

pippin

B-because you're all missing the point of a true role-playing game, you misogynistic grognards.
Grogsgonnagrog.gif.

DeepOcean

Arcane

With love,

The Codex

I don't understand this, are they thinking this garbage will sell millions of copies because of real time?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I don't understand this, are they thinking this garbage will sell millions of copies because of real time?

The Developer specifically stated they wanted to make an accessible D&D game, and that *usually* means it will sell quite well.

ArchAngel

Arcane

With love,

The Codex

Probably more because they name dropped BG, NWN and DAO. And because they got 4v1 MP. It is like after WoW when everyone was making a MMO.

Telengard

Arcane

MMII is shown multiple times, early on it has three missiles, later it has what looks like 4. Which, since there is HP Surge II for the fighter, and that will have to do something, very likely means that spells are on the usual console character-gains-2-power-point- per-level, going into the Abilities tab and filling in the 5-circle-per-ability slots.

After all, the hotbar only has so many open slots, and not many of those are filled, and there's no such thing as limits on spell casting. So, there's no point in having power level spell slots. That is, unless different power levels had different cooldown timers, and if that were the case, then the different levels would need to be accessible via the hotbar in a simple and braindead manner, or this game wouldn't hit their stated target demographic.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Well, the rest was basic DnD, and not even turn based, so how good can that get, really?
BG lived from the atmosphere and replayability due to lots of different possible builds and parties.

The combat, IMO, was rarely more than OK. Some more challenging fights were memorable, yes.
But if someone made a game and claim it to be BG-ish, I would expect that: Good atmosphere, replayability, combat that works.
I dunno man. To me, "BG-ish" is:
- 6 character party
- unnecessary but charming alignment system
- making babies with circus elves
- hard counters/wizard battles

jimmy_pvish

Savant

But it fires 4 bolts

Telengard

Arcane

But it fires 4 bolts
It's first 3:
q48Z3h2.jpg

And then 4.
HU02NZV.jpg

Magic Missile II is going to translate to 2 dots of Magic Missile on the Abilities tab for a pumped up version of Magic Missile, more damage per missile kinda thing. And that Abilities tab and Character inventory tab - that's going to be the entirety of the character sheet.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, whatever benefit of doubt I was giving this game before, has diminished now that I have watched the gameplay video. :negative:

The Developer specifically stated they wanted to make an accessible D&D game, and that *usually* means it will sell quite well.
Tell that to Daggerdale devs.

imweasel

But it fires 4 bolts
It's first 3:
q48Z3h2.jpg

And then 4.
HU02NZV.jpg
It is always 4 missles. It is harder to distinguish the 3rd and 4th missle in the first screenshot as they are overlapping because of the camera angle.

Yep.

RbOZCMc.jpg

It says three darts will be cast, although we always see four darts being casted, so I suppose that the description is wrong because it is an alpha version™. According to this wiki Magic Missle has 3 darts when casted in 1st level spell slot and 4 darts when the spell is casted in a 2nd level spell slot (which is probably Magic Missle II in SCL), so that is correct. However, according to the wiki "a single magic missle deals 1d4 + 1 force damage to its target", in SCL a single dart deals 12-17 damage... What is that? 1d6+11 or 5d2+7 (yes, both dice rolls deal 12 - 17 damage)? :lol:

It seems that they are fucking around with how much offensive damage is dealt by abilities to accomodate for the ridiculous and completely superfluous HP bloat. I also get the feeling that they probably aren't even using dice rolls to calculate damage. Which is why I have to ask, why the fuck are they doing that? You have to make some compromises because this a video game and not a PnP game, but it is still a fucking D&D game, so I expect the rules to be as close to D&D as possible.

Athelas

Arcane
It is always 4 missles. It is harder to distinguish the 3rd and 4th missle in the first screenshot as they are overlapping because of the camera angle.

Yep.

RbOZCMc.jpg

It says three darts will be cast, although we always see four darts being casted, so I suppose that the description is wrong because it is an alpha version™. According to this wiki Magic Missle has 3 darts when casted in 1st level spell slot and 4 darts when the spell is casted in a 2nd level spell slot (which is probably Magic Missle II in SCL), so that is correct. However, according to the wiki "a single magic missle deals 1d4 + 1 force damage to its target", in SCL a single dart deals 12-17 damage... What is that? 1d6+11 or 5d2+7 (yes, both dice rolls deal 12 - 17 damage)? :lol:

It seems that they are fucking around with how much offensive damage is dealt by abilities to accomodate for the ridiculous and completely superfluous HP bloat. I also get the feeling that they probably aren't even using dice rolls to calculate damage. Which is why I have to ask, why the fuck are they doing that? You have to make some compromises because this a video game and not a PnP game, but it is still a fucking D&D game, so I expect the rules to be as close to D&D as possible.
How exactly do you think damage ranges in video games are calculated? '1-4 damage' is simply a different way of saying '1d4 damage'. It's not as if dice notation would suddenly improve this game.

Telengard

Arcane
But it fires 4 bolts
It's first 3:
q48Z3h2.jpg

And then 4.
HU02NZV.jpg

Yep.

RbOZCMc.jpg

Oh good, I was worried they might have actually tied #missiles to character level, and might have actually followed a single d&d rule. Now, it's a straight point buy system. Each pip will net a permanent new missile. Just as HP Surge II will net the fighter a permanent boost to regeneration.

I did give some thought to what a spellslotted cooldown hotbar would look like. Little selectable numbers over the box so power slot could be selected on the fly., and thus offer choice between damage vs cooldown time. But that would be way too complex for what they're going for.

imweasel

How exactly do you think damage ranges in video games are calculated? '1-4 damage' is simply a different way of saying '1d4 damage'. It's not as if dice notation would suddenly improve this game.
What makes you think I don't know that after reading my post?

1d4+1 is how much damage a single magic missle dart deals in D&D 5E. I was pointing out that 12-17 damage is 1d6+11 or 5d2+7 or something and definitely not 1d4+1.

Athelas

Arcane
You said that you didn't think they were using dice rolls. How else should I have interpreted that?

I wonder if attacks can miss in this game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom