Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Sword Coast Legends - RIP n-Space!

getter77

Augur
First time in awhile that I can recall a game explicitly, albeit taking their sweet time, actually and openly taking elements from a planned free update and incorporating them into a DLC instead---not even to somehow crank them up to 11 seemingly, but just adding outright to pad it while shifting focus to it to hit the deadlines they got themselves into with their licensing masters having a Grand Plan.

They just seem to have found the wrong, or among the most bumbling of ways, to go about practically everything almost to the point of more sheer wonder than disappointment at the waste of it all.

Mustawd

As Telengard alluded in an earlier post, woe be upon the company that decides to do business with WOTC. As Hasbro is the one pulling the strings and they are always at the advantage.

skyst

Augur
My comment about this game is that I fail to understand why devs think that people that like AD&D want a real time, DOTA style version of it.
And they keep trying to sell that.
When AD&D is a pure nerdy TB system. Why?

I'm amazed that we have never seen a faithful adaptation of the D&D ruleset with an easy to use level editor. A lot of people just want to play and create custom D&D campaigns on PC, it seems like such an obvious game to make.

Maybe it would cut into pnp sales, but of the dozen or so gamers in my pnp group, most own all of the notable fantasy games and tons of D&D books still anyway. The social group aspect of pnp will never be trumped by a PC.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
What a pity ToEE didn't ship with an EZ-2-Use toolset like NWN did...

The quality and quantity of NWN community-made content is pretty astounding.. despite RTwP and after-thought companion AI.

Stuff like Prophet, Bastard of Kosigan, Swordflight, Blackguard & Aielund Saga set the bar pretty high. Then you have the persistent worlds and DMable campaigns, all free2play.

toroks

Educated
First time in awhile that I can recall a game explicitly, albeit taking their sweet time, actually and openly taking elements from a planned free update and incorporating them into a DLC instead
The Rage of Demons DLC is also free, so your point is pretty moot...

getter77

Augur
Ah, that's fair---though it somewhat muddles their hand that what was originally supposed to be, IIRC, a paid DLC Expansion tied into the Big Synergy winds up as just another focused free update since the launch went somewhere in the neighbor hood of poorly/late. So...why even bother shifting things from one free update to another as such an event instead of just keeping each roughly as they'd been reckoned to be and get RoD out ahead of the next community content patch to satisfy that timecrunch and that is now on the backburner?

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
First time in awhile that I can recall a game explicitly, albeit taking their sweet time, actually and openly taking elements from a planned free update and incorporating them into a DLC instead
The Rage of Demons DLC is also free, so your point is pretty moot...

Originally it was going to cost money and be available free only to those who pre-ordered.
'Luckily' the game sucks so much shit they figured they better just give it away.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
They apparently reduced the base price for the game to $19.99, because now it's on a 50% sale at Steam for $9.99.

Last edited:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Either that or they realize that it's too late to back up and make the kind of game people actually want, so they might as well keep trying to promote what they have and bring in as many shekels as they can. No point in talking negatively about a product you are still selling and can't fix.

...When your marketing strategy devolves into chasing the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance fans, that right there is one of the most hilarious signs that you have failed at game dev/marketing and should just start applying for jobs at your local Potbelly/Starbucks.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record: Fuck these losers. In every sense of all those words.

Mustawd

Seriously...Dark Alliance? I mean, I was shocked they name-dropped that POS.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Damn PR article. Also hilarious how these guys keep acting like they did nothing wrong. At one point they even say they wanted to reach a broader audience but they only reached about 70 000 owners lol.

I guess next time they should go for hardcore audience more and maybe they can reach 500 000+ like PoE. These guys are clueless and this game will never become a good D&D Rpg (or a good RPG).

Trias_Betrayed

Scholar
This would be an unpopular opinion, but I thought pillars of eternity was worse than this with all of its game breaking bugs, retarded stats, and tumblrisms

getter77

Augur
Yes...Dark Alliance was DEFINITELY what I remember them leading all that early gold rush PR on....totally and for sure. I just don't understand how something like this could be so profoundly bungled here in modern times, but I guess when you can hand wave away and deflect onto the D&D license masters there really isn't much of a baseline left anymore.

Trias_Betrayed

Scholar
it played more like a D&D game ran by half-retarded SJWs, I guess. I just thought it was absolute trash and after my save broke I couldn't be bothered to restart it and listen through all of its special snowflake dialogue a second time

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Consoles aside... you should expect at least half the people that purchased NWN2 would buy the next PC D&D title. 160K is shit. No buts, no maybes, it sucks. There can not be two skies.

Modron

Arcane
Consoles aside... you should expect at least half the people that purchased NWN2 would buy the next PC D&D title. 160K is shit. No buts, no maybes, it sucks. There can not be two skies.

It's doing about half Baldur's Gate 2: EE, or if you want to go to actual non-re-release then it has sold more than the last PC D&D title to be widely released: http://steamspy.com/app/99100
:troll:

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
It's doing about half Baldur's Gate 2: EE, or if you want to go to actual non-re-release then it has sold more than the last PC D&D title to be widely released: http://steamspy.com/app/99100

When they release an EE of this masterpiece, we can compare it to BG2:EE. As for Daggerdale... LOL. This is supposed to be a spiritual sucessor of the D&D "flagships", with editor and DM tools included. It is the same kind of game that the players of NWN2 should like to play. I am being kind and not comparing it with sales of DA.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I am pretty sure 80% of this games sales came as pre-orders / Day one purchases.
Everyone was expecting a Toolset driven game based on the released information.. then post release when everyone wants a refund they try to play it off like "oh huhuhuh that wasn't the game we were making".
Well why did you hype the shit out of that feature then?

Don't call fowl that your fans were mistaken about your design goals when you were the ones stoking the hype flames about all the awesome worlds you can create you fucking hucksters.

I love this quote
"We want a game that is more accessible.. already 1700 (Shitty Random generated Modules) were made.."

Wow that's amazing..! NWN1 and NWN2 only has ~1000 campaign sized modules that rival the included OC that shipped with the game.

Because we all wanna play 20 minute shit fuck adventures where you kill the same pack of spiders in the same fucking cave over and over.. instead of sprawling 30 hour custom made modules with user generated content thrown in.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I remember seeing something like 40,000 copies owned shortly before the game launched.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom