Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Sword Coast Legends - RIP n-Space!

Fry

Arcane
This place needs an opposite brofist.

Broslap?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Also, before the free weekend they had approached 80k copies on Steam alone. It's definitely nothing close to the success they wish they'd get, but one can argue it's an ok enough result for a small indie studio.

It's hard to talk about success without knowing the profitability of the game. How much did the D&D license cost? How are sales structured with their publisher (I think they have one?) ? Etc.

With 60 employees, average industry wage of $68,000 a year, and 2-3 years of development, I wouldn't count on it.

Granted, N-Space has other work and I don't think every employee was tasked to this project.

ArchAngel

Arcane
probably one of the best rpg's I've played lately, although I almost gave up on the first section after the dream I'm glad i kept going I didn't rely notice how good it was until I got to the end of the sewers the first time. I wont spoil it for anyone that hasn't played through it but two things to keep in mined talk to every one, and almost every thing you do will impact the rest of the game seriously even just talking to random people, doing or not doing something. I can't remember when I've had as much fun replaying a campaign. I can't wait for the expansion packs to start rolling out for it. Oh and you can have multiple characters running through the story independently at the same time right click on your name when your at the starting camp screen before loading into the game it brings up a list of your characters, you can also pull one out of the story at anytime and restart from the beginning the monsters all scale, the quest reward loot doesn't seem to, but the random loot drops do.
Ban this fool.

Mortmal

Arcane
probably one of the best rpg's I've played lately, although I almost gave up on the first section after the dream I'm glad i kept going I didn't rely notice how good it was until I got to the end of the sewers the first time. I wont spoil it for anyone that hasn't played through it but two things to keep in mined talk to every one, and almost every thing you do will impact the rest of the game seriously even just talking to random people, doing or not doing something. I can't remember when I've had as much fun replaying a campaign. I can't wait for the expansion packs to start rolling out for it. Oh and you can have multiple characters running through the story independently at the same time right click on your name when your at the starting camp screen before loading into the game it brings up a list of your characters, you can also pull one out of the story at anytime and restart from the beginning the monsters all scale, the quest reward loot doesn't seem to, but the random loot drops do.
Ban this fool.
Not a fool its the same guy paid to advertise, probably like bubbles was too.However they got it wrong , if they want to maximize the marketing efficiency its infinitron they should bribe. its only way get a link to a prestigious rpgcodex official review on the curator list.Although it will be hard to find someone to review that piece of shit, even recruiting at rpgwatch.

Moraph

Novice
paid to advertise no, but I have been around for awhile I just keep forgetting my username and password I dont post often though doesn't rely matter. I just like this game better then any other dnd branded game I've played in a long time, and I've even sufferd through the Neverwinter mmo and ddo. if neverwinter nights 2 had this kind of interaction with the game world it would have been epic and worth putting up with that opening again for like the 30'th time ... admittedly I am pretty forgiving of dnd titles.

Weasel
I guess it's appropriate that even the shills for this game are amateurish and embarrassing.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Well i seen some trailer and gameplay videos... It sucks period... They did a D&D rpg that have nothing to do with D&D then why bother to do it at all?...
It's just me or many ex bioware devs totally lost the skills to make a proper CRPG?.. Why every rpg must be so "streamlined"(dumbed down).. *sigh*

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Well i seen some trailer and gameplay videos... It sucks period... They did a D&D rpg that have nothing to do with D&D then why bother to do it at all?...
It's just me or many ex bioware devs totally lost the skills to make a proper CRPG?.. Why every rpg must be so "streamlined"(dumbed down).. *sigh*

They are doing the exact same thing all the major Publishers have been doing for decades... :M

Pablosdog

Prophet
I saw my friend play this game, it looked like a shitty half finished nwn mod with a slight graphical upgrade. He insisted I buy it. I've decided to get a GOG copy of Age of Decadence instead.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Yes i miss some nice rpg.... Is like i am used to play games instead of toys...

pippin

Pirating should only give you the single player content though. I guess that would be enough for some, but the free weekend was "the" moment for trying the game with all its stuff.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"but one can argue it's an ok enough result for a small indie studio."

Fuck off with this bullshit.

BIo was a 'small indie studio' when they made BG. FFS

The game bombed. PERIOD.

Telengard

Arcane
We still have the delayed PS and Xbone releases to go before the game can be officially declared dead. Something that stinks so strongly of console design often makes the bulk of its sales on there.

The fact that their pre-orders aren't registering in the financial news isn't a good sign for them, though.

EDIT: In case anyone was wondering about the consoliness - 4-players co-op, enclosed areas, PUG design, shallow-ized power list all available on screen, flashy effects, simplified Player demands for combat control. Can't get any more console-oriented than that.

This may have come out for PC first, and they may have tried to be edgy in their appeal to PC master race, but this game is console territory.

Last edited:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Nah. It's in shit terrority. Neverwinter the MMO which is pretty shitty is still more Dnd than SCL. LMAO

Mustawd

We still have the delayed PS and Xbone releases to go before the game can be officially declared dead. Something that stinks so strongly of console design often makes the bulk of its sales on there.

The fact that their pre-orders aren't registering in the financial news isn't a good sign for them, though.

EDIT: In case anyone was wondering about the consoliness - 4-players co-op, enclosed areas, PUG design, shallow-ized power list all available on screen, flashy effects, simplified Player demands for combat control. Can't get any more console-oriented than that.

This may have come out for PC first, and they may have tried to be edgy in their appeal to PC master race, but this game is console territory.

Your traditional crpg sells 50,000 - 500,000, with only a few stand-outs going out either end (most of them by Bioware). So, even by current Steamspy numbers, SCL's already in traditional RPG sales territory, and the numbers aren't even fully updated yet. Even with a d&d logo slapped on, sales of a traditional crpg only rise to 250,000 expected, 500,000 top range. SCL'll match that easy, since they're making a console game. Console sales will slip them over into that territory no matter what PC sales do. Because, when it comes down to it, the only thing the Kickstarters have proved is the sales numbers that the industry stated all along about crpgs are correct.

Telengard you were more optimistic about their chances a few months ago mate.

Telengard

Arcane

Your traditional crpg sells 50,000 - 500,000, with only a few stand-outs going out either end (most of them by Bioware). So, even by current Steamspy numbers, SCL's already in traditional RPG sales territory, and the numbers aren't even fully updated yet. Even with a d&d logo slapped on, sales of a traditional crpg only rise to 250,000 expected, 500,000 top range. SCL'll match that easy, since they're making a console game. Console sales will slip them over into that territory no matter what PC sales do. Because, when it comes down to it, the only thing the Kickstarters have proved is the sales numbers that the industry stated all along about crpgs are correct.

Telengard you were more optimistic about their chances a few months ago mate.
They can get 500,000 easy - alls they need to do is double their 1-year sales on each console, which is not hard on there with a flashy co-op game. But in this day and age, is 500,000 going to interest the mainstream market? It's fine for indies, but we're talking people with investment parasites sitting on their back. You've got to earn the big bux to pay them off, if you want to survive. At a guess, they're looking to do a million or get flushed, and even that may be a number that makes it difficult for them to keep going.

And now, they don't have the usual sunk-cost PC review crowd shilling for their game, 'cause of Steam refunds, and without the old school crowd shilling for them, they lost the word-of-mouth sales, putting the million mark farther out of reach.

TL DR: Getting to 500,000 isn't a stretch for a big production game vehicle, but 500,000 copies isn't what it was in 2001, and it wasn't enough to sustain investment interest in rpgs even back then.

Mustawd

But they're an indie studio. How do you figure they need 500k?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom