Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Sword Coast Legends Pre-Release Thread

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
The fights don't end any quicker or any worse, but it's balanced in such a way that everybody still gets to have a lot more fun, because they're hitting more and wizards and casters are doing a lot more hitting. They're not limited to one or two things per encounter.

So is this just Tudge talking or a Sawyerian approach?

And this probably means that it will have PoE like power-curve i.e every class must be able to fight 'equally' from the get go.

:killit:

Last edited:

Athelas

Arcane
Well, it sounds like cooldowns are all but guaranteed (the other thing the interview talked about, lack of rounds, was obvious from the outset).

Shannow

Waster of Time
The fights don't end any quicker or any worse, but it's balanced in such a way that everybody still gets to have a lot more fun, because they're hitting more and wizards and casters are doing a lot more hitting. They're not limited to one or two things per encounter.

That interview sure had a few instances of déja vu. :D
This this specific part, though, should be older than PE and Sawyer talking about it. (If he actually did. I don't have a sawyer.txt.) It was already part of D&D 4th ed.
At-Will, per encounter and daily powers.

This here seems to be more genuinely Sawyer (though it also may have been part of discussions around and leading up to 5th ed):
So now you can also have a cleric that can do some range damage and keep out of the fight and doesn't have to go in and tank. I think there's a lot more freedom now to really create the kind of character you want and it's very well-balanced within each other.
(I never used clerics for tanking, btw. They were always ranged casters in my games...)

Gulnar

Scholar
Tudge: There is certainly no shortage of interesting places around Faerûn (places we definitely plan to explore in our ongoing adventure). However, as huge fans of the Sword Coast region, the opportunity to set our story there was simply too much to pass up. DMs, on the other hand, are free to build campaigns anywhere within the Realms they choose.

Burn him with fire.
Faerun, and especially the sword coast, are the most exploited locations in the whole dnd univers. Can't we have a game about spelljammer? Or even dark sun. They reprinted dark sun in FUCKING 4TH, what's more to ask? For the fucking dragon of tyr to get in his office and rape him?

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Tudge: There is certainly no shortage of interesting places around Faerûn (places we definitely plan to explore in our ongoing adventure). However, as huge fans of the Sword Coast region, the opportunity to set our story there was simply too much to pass up. DMs, on the other hand, are free to build campaigns anywhere within the Realms they choose.

Burn him with fire.
Faerun, and especially the sword coast, are the most exploited locations in the whole dnd univers. Can't we have a game about spelljammer? Or even dark sun. They reprinted dark sun in FUCKING 4TH, what's more to ask? For the fucking dragon of tyr to get in his office and rape him?
Forgotten Realms = $$$

People love generic high fantasy. Codexers and people like us are an outlier. None of this is new.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That Tudge quote is pure Bioware-like PR speak.

'Before it was great, but now it's even greater!'

'It's super complex and deep but at the same time accesible and easy to use!'

Gulnar

Scholar
I think that if someone gave them the chance, people would love dark sun or spelljammer or whatever-non-high-fantasy-setting. But nobody does.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Where Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale used AD&D 2nd edition, and Icewind Dale 2 and Neverwinter used 3rd edition, the upcoming Sword Coasts Legends is based on Dungeon & Dragons' latest 5th edition ruleset.

The game is called Neverwinter Nights you fucking ignorant buffoon. Neverwinter is an MMO based on D&D4.0.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It was not uncommon to just say Neverwinter when referring to nwn, not giving a fuck about that mmo means you're likely to continue to do so. Why do you care so much about am mmo, Lilura?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Where Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale used AD&D 2nd edition, and Icewind Dale 2 and Neverwinter used 3rd edition, the upcoming Sword Coasts Legends is based on Dungeon & Dragons' latest 5th edition ruleset.

The game is called Neverwinter Nights you fucking ignorant buffoon. Neverwinter is an MMO based on D&D4.0.

Neverwinter Nights is a 1991 AOL MMORPG you clueless peasant :obviously:

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Except he wasn't referencing that, he clearly said 3rd ed. +M

Well, ToEE is what I'd call a faithful adaption.

Except that glavies and other polearms had doughnut reach, cleave and great cleave stacked with whirlwind (meaning a fighter could clear a room of 30 bugbears in one round), and about a million other unbalancing bugs and oversights, yeah?

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

It seems to be you who is the clueless one. Kind of embarassing when your shouting match opponent is Lilura :lol:

jimmy_pvish

Savant

And this probably means that it will have PoE like power-curve i.e every class must be able to fight 'equally' from the get go.

:killit:

It's 5e D&D thing more than a developer decision.
5e goal is to eliminate "linear warriors, quadratic wizards" in early edition.
Warriors class just get their number up.
wizards get everything warriors class get PLUS new spells PLUS old spells get stronger.

In 5e, warriors class (fighter, rogue, ranger, paladin etc) get more option when they're level up (gain new ability).

Wizards class get less spell slots (4/5 max slot per spell lv instead of 9 max slot per spell lv)
And spell didn't scale to their lv anymore.
if you want more powerful fireball, you have to use lv4+ spell slots instead of old lv3 spell slot.
But wizard also get cantrip spell (spell that have unlimited use).

But of course that's 5e P&P version.
Sword coast legend can be 5e in name only and end up just another popamole with cooldown shit.

Shannow

Waster of Time

Except that glavies and other polearms had doughnut reach, cleave and great cleave stacked with whirlwind (meaning a fighter could clear a room of 30 bugbears in one round), and about a million other unbalancing bugs and oversights, yeah?
Considering your complete overreaction to "Neverwinter", your complete overreaction to some bugs and oversights is not surprizing and any kind of rational discussion seems pointless.
But just for the kicks: Name one cRPG with a more faithful adaption of 3rd ed. Hell, name one cRPG with a more faithful adaption to any D&D ed in the last 20 years.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Considering your complete overreaction to "Neverwinter", your complete overreaction to some bugs and oversights is not surprizing and any kind of rational discussion seems pointless.
But just for the kicks: Name one cRPG with a more faithful adaption of 3rd ed. Hell, name one cRPG with a more faithful adaption to any D&D ed in the last 20 years.

Aww, did I "overreact" and then throw you a softball, you little dunce? I wouldn't expect one such as you to even know what I'm talking about, conceived as you were as a result of your mother strutting around town with a mattress tied to her back. Count me as surprised you even had the impudence to respond. Ferals, these days...

Gulnar

Scholar

Aww, did I "overreact" and then throw you a softball, you little dunce? I wouldn't expect one such as you to even know what I'm talking about, conceived as you were as a result of your mother strutting around town with a mattress tied to her back. Count me as surprised you even had the impudence to respond. Ferals, these days...

Woah, that's pretty harsh, considering you didn't even answer him.

jimmy_pvish

Savant

Knights of the Chalice?
:M

Gulnar

Scholar

Knights of the Chalice?

It isn't more faithful. They gutted out a lot of spells, feats, the casting mechanics, and a lot of weapons. At most, it's a bit less faithful than toee (while still being miles ahead of the third closest thing, that is... dunno, nwn? They're pretty much all rtwp games under second place)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Knights of the Chalice?

As awesome as Knights is, it's actually a much less faithful implementation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom