Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Sword Coast Legends Pre-Release Thread

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Newfags are bad.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Thats not pessimism, its realistic, when you are filling your game with world of warcraft like quests that means you are not even trying to make anything good and just trying to make quick buck with a well known IP.

RPGs can be X hours long without including that kind of filler content, again look at top 3 of 2014, or 2000's baldurs gate.

I already mentioned Torment's "kill 10 rats." Fallout 2 has "get 10 cat's paw magazines" and "get 10 beers and 10 bottles of booze."

As for Baldur's Gate,

Speak to Wenric in front of the house in the area north of Wyrm's Crossing. He will offer you 150 gold to kill 20 zombies.
Explore the area and kill 20 zombies. Return to Wenric for your reward.

Coran in the first Cloakwood area will tell you that the mayor of Beregost has offered 2000 gold for the head of the wyvern that has been plaguing the area. Coran does not need to be in your party to complet this subquest.
Continue through Cloakwood to the fourth area and defeat the Wyverns in the Wyvern nest on the east side of the area. Take one of the Wyverns' heads with you.
Once you have left Cloakwood, speak to Keldath Ormlyr in the Temple east of Beregost to receive a 2000 gold reward.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Wenric asks you to kill all the zombies in the area, not a specific number. That's not the same as collect 10 ooze samples. The other example is meh.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
But what if, yeah, the oozes that drop the samples are all found separately as part of 10 amazing 'boss' encounters. All of them, like, different colours with completely different movesets and allies in their fights. All on different floors of a 10 map mega-dungeon, that's at least Durlag's Tower level quality. Where's your shitty quest design now? I rest my case, game will be GOAT.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I already mentioned Torment's "kill 10 rats." Fallout 2 has "get 10 cat's paw magazines" and "get 10 beers and 10 bottles of booze."

As for Baldur's Gate,
You forgot the scalp quest in BG.

Still, these quests are clearly the exception in these games and you wouldn't try to sell Torment with a screen shot asking for rat tails.

Tigranes

Arcane
No point overreacting to the ooze thing, nearly every RPG has some of those.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
You forgot the scalp quest in BG.

Still, these quests are clearly the exception in these games.

Notice that Roguey did reply to that point earlier that it was the only example that looked like that.

Roguey's point is pretty fucking weak though: I'm pretty sure a fuckton of consideration goes into which screenshots to launch as the first promotion for your game.

Dexter

Arcane
:d1p:

Well bro i kinda had to go from memory since i wasnt sure where Luskan was located, its been a while since i played a AD&D game.
Someone posted this map on their forums. I've no idea if this is still accurate, as it's also been many years since I read anything about the FR, but I guess it should be roughly correct at least.
OIgr6N6.jpg
Full map this was taken from:
faeruncompletemap0yqm6.jpg

1st Edition (1357 DR.): http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120229031742/forgottenrealms/images/2/26/Faerun_1e.jpg
faerun_1eiwjaw.jpg
2nd Edition (1358 DR.): http://adventure.3dn.ru/_ph/7/546077976.jpg http://crpp0001.uqtr.ca/w4/restricted/maps/90.gif
546077976d7knt.jpg

forgottenrealmsmappeupp.gif
3rd Edition (1372 DR.): http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/_...ottenrealms/images/1/10/Map_-_Faerun_-_3E.jpg
map_-_faerun_-_3e23j56.jpg
4th Edition (1479 DR.): http://www.adnddownloads.com/images/fr_4e_map.jpg
fr_4e_mapwdjm7.jpg
5th Edition: http://s3images.coroflot.com/user_f...original_328353_83agkl9oupry48upckdhjlezr.jpg
original_328353_83agknrjyg.jpg
Political Boundaries: http://www.mythopoeicpress.com/fr_faerun_political_boundaries.jpg
Continent map: http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/4265/torilmap25percent.jpg

Luskan:
Wbc07Gg.jpg

Last edited:

Grubba

Arcane

I've always wanted a game where you start out in Faerun but travel to Kara-Tur or Zakhara. I suppose it wouldn't be a "pure" Forgotten Realms game, but who gives a shit.

Speaking of that name...Forgotten Realms...seems kind of silly now considering it's their main go-to setting. Clearly it's not forgotten. Should rename it "Crutch Realms" or "Bread n Butter Realms". Forgotten Realms would now be a more appropriate name for every other campaign setting instead of the one it's actually used for.

Weasel
Speaking of that name...Forgotten Realms...seems kind of silly now considering it's their main go-to setting. Clearly it's not forgotten. Should rename it "Crutch Realms" or "Bread n Butter Realms". Forgotten Realms would now be a more appropriate name for every other campaign setting instead of the one it's actually used for.

How about "Shadow Realms"?

Trodat

Arcane
Patron

I've always wanted a game where you start out in Faerun but travel to Kara-Tur or Zakhara. I suppose it wouldn't be a "pure" Forgotten Realms game, but who gives a shit.

Final Fantasy would like to have a word with you.

:troll:

Luzur

Good Sir

How about "Shadow Realms"?

The Dark Cuckold Realms of the Eternal War of the Geisha Warlords.

Telengard

Arcane
Tohkien Realms*.

* Like all the best jokes requires an explanation
  1. In some languages, an 'l' is added to the pronunciation of 'h', so this would be properly pronounced "Tolkien Realms", but without the lawsuits.
  2. When pronounced in a more normal fashion, it would be "Token Realms", thus explaining the rich diversity of peoples and sexes at all layers of power in FR society.
  3. All of the stoners could make the same joke every time as they light up before playing.

nikolokolus

Arcane

Funny. I've always wanted a game where you started out in Faerun, but then a wormhole opened up and ripped you to Jack Vance's Dying Earth.

Avellion

Erudite
Unforgotten Realms. Afterall, it is one of the few fantasy settings left they seem to not have forgotten.

Edit: Or since Unforgotten realms is already taken how about Recollected Realms.

Final Fantasy would like to have a word with you.

:troll:
The ironic thing about Final Fantasy is that it is neither Final or shows any hint of Fantasy, at least nowadays.

PotatoElemental

Educated
I'm still kinda miffed about people straight up refusing to use Greyhawk as a setting for a D&D game, and instead opting for the incredibly boring Forgotten Realms.

Oh hi.

I am fully aware of ToEE, but it doesn't count in my mind since it's a direct adaptation of a preexisting PnP module and not an original campaign made for a videogame.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
They got to start somewhere, Forgotten Realms and Sword Coast is a safe place to start.

Dexter

Arcane
Not sure what the problem is, FR is still my favorite setting overall and the last proper CRPG set there was NWN2, I could probably play several games a year for the next 10 years set there and not get bored (since there's an awful lot of places left to explore that usually aren't), especially if they had the quality of the Baldur's Gate series. I just want something with the minimal quality of writing and gameplay of at least an Icewind Dale again tending towards BG2 or PS:T and somehow this presents itself as an impossible undertaking. Seeing as there hasn't been the slightest bit about story so far, they showed off mostly Actiony combat and the "big bad guy" seems to be a Balor by the name of Belaphoss this game looks more like an ARPG with minimal pretense of a story at best so far though, so eh. The other option would be that marketing is making them do it, but that seems unlikely in this case.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
I'm still kinda miffed about people straight up refusing to use Greyhawk as a setting for a D&D game, and instead opting for the incredibly boring Forgotten Realms.

Oh hi.

I am fully aware of ToEE, but it doesn't count in my mind since it's a direct adaptation of a preexisting PnP module and not an original campaign made for a videogame.
It's also shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom