Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Sword Coast Legends Pre-Release Thread

imweasel

The general lack of clarity or focus that's been inadvertently communicated is staggering.
Take a look at their boards. You will find every variety of rube there claiming that the game will be everything from BG3 to PoR5 to Diablo4. Meanwhile the devs sit around circle-jerking about how they can't reveal any system mechanics or details (you know, the actual GAME part of the game they just announced) yet, but they're in tune with their fans and yadayadayadabarf.

I don't know why I'm so bitter about this shit. I guess it's mostly just due to getting burned by "RPG" developers/publishers the past decade-plus, but at this point, fuck anyone who tries to exploit muh nostalgia by slapping brands/settings I loved as a kid onto their product.
This.

The lack of information is very annoying. They announced SCL with a trailer and that was it, we have had nearly no information about the game at all since then. It is almost like they are trying to hide something (which they probably are).

Nobody truly knows what the fuck they are making.

Last edited by a moderator:

eremita

Savant
Are you guys retarded? What exactly is wrong the video, can you tell me? Or is just codex acting a like hysteric cunt again. So the game allow DM to throw shit on players in real time and two IGN idiots, because they only fuck around with shit games, say it's like L4D but imagine human throw zombies at you... They said that because, you know, their retarded audience... But when it comes to actual information about the Swordcoast Legends, it has been only said there are mechanics for DM to influence the game in real time. So if your hopes died for this game NOW (sure, it might turn out as shit in the end), then it has nothing to do with the game...

getter77

Augur
Well, GDC only has a bit more left in it---so they'll have no excuse not to get info out there on all matter of things shortly.

Weasel
B29WbDQ.jpg

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Different damage types, multiple weapon sets, spell scrolls, limited inventory. Looks convincingly non-casual to me.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
Looks a lot like DA:O except modified colours, etc.

Alistair_Approves.jpg

Actually Origins had a more pleasant style but the layout is very similiar

Last edited:

AbounI

Colonist
Patron

I'm not familiar with the 5th edition, but a lvl6 wizard with 267HP is in my opinion excessive.We're far from a 6D4 (with a consitution adjustement) of the earlier rules.Wonder how many HP can have a barbarian at the same lvl.

Xenich

Cipher
I'm not familiar with the 5th edition, but a lvl6 wizard with 267HP is in my opinion excessive.We're far from a 6D4 (with a consitution adjustement) of the earlier rules.Wonder how many HP can have a barbarian at the same lvl.

That, and how many rounds does it take for combat? I mean, in a video game the fight taking a bit (action based) is fine, but too many rounds in a PnP/turn based game gets a bit silly. "Ok guys, just 15 more rounds and we can take the NPC down!"

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I believe the ability cooldowns will all be expressed in seconds, so speaking of "rounds" would really be going a bit too far.

Copper

Savant
Rules are fundamentally the arbitrary judge in games like physics are in real life. If I play in a game and a GM "fudges" a roll, it's basically the same as that GM changing the rules to go easy on me or alternative change the rules because I did too well. It's like switching from Hard to Easy because I can't handle it, or vice versa. We agreed that the world works in such-and-such a way, but suddenly the world works differently because it's more convenient? Fudged rolls are to rule-heavy P&P what deus ex machina are to literature.

A GM "fudging" a roll is like an invisible hand or awesome button gently guiding me through a video game.

Rules are the one thing in P&P that needs 100% clarity and adherence from both players and GM, otherwise what's the point in simulating the experience at all? You can change the rules of course, edit them however you'd like, even play games with no rules at all, if it's just about story and player interaction with that. But if you agree to adhere to a common structure, deviating from it because "it'd make for a better story" or somesuch convenience is the number one destroyer of any immersion for me.

The key aspect of P&P is player interaction with a GM construct. If the rules are not set in stone once agreed upon, then the player interaction is nullified. GM manipulation with rules is negation of player influence.

(If everyone in the group agrees to throw that influence to the wind and prioritize convenience over the simulation, then fair enough - you should do whatever works for you. This does not change the objective fact that manipulation is negation, though, and you need to be aware of that. For my part I would not enjoy playing in such a game.)

Sounds almost simulationist...

Not that that's where you're going, but that's actually the 'good' side to simulationist rhetoric. A fair deal between GM and player enforced by the rules, taken to the extreme that you should be able to burn down the wizard's tower instead of having an epic fight just because the GM thinks it's more awesome that way.

The bad side tends to be 'I know more about this than you, so I should be able to do what I want/this is shit.'

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That threat level stuff will get removed. Or at least an option will exist to ignore it.

Shannow

Waster of Time
HP 3320

"adapted from D&D 5E"

it's like that thing Grunker was talking about
Perhaps I should have made the "What kind of HP system do you guys like?"-poll after all... But it's too much effort and I don't really care :/

Anyway, in general I think the first question should be "Is this better or worse than D&D standard." Instead of claiming that every deviation is automatically worse.

Possible advantages of high HP schemes (though I personally don't like them. And with GW2 I know a practical example where I didn't like it...):
You can give the players small goodies. EG, quest rewards that add permanently 10 HP or so, without being game breaking. You can give low-lvl chars magical equipment without it having a huge effect. You can also permanently reduce their HP in a C&C style quest without gimping them.
And if dmg values are increased as much as HP, there is not real difference. (Though that pic with 5 dmg suggests differently.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom