Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Sword Coast Legends Pre-Release Thread

Shannow

Waster of Time
Considering your complete overreaction to "Neverwinter", your complete overreaction to some bugs and oversights is not surprizing and any kind of rational discussion seems pointless.
But just for the kicks: Name one cRPG with a more faithful adaption of 3rd ed. Hell, name one cRPG with a more faithful adaption to any D&D ed in the last 20 years.

Aww, did I "overreact" and then throw you a softball, you little dunce? I wouldn't expect one such as you to even know what I'm talking about, conceived as you were as a result of your mother strutting around town with a mattress tied to her back. Count me as surprised you even had the impudence to respond. Ferals, these days...
I thought you might simply be in the grip of the red flow. But this seems to more a case of you not taking your meds. Duly noted.

Well, ToEE is what I'd call a faithful adaption.

Except that glavies and other polearms had doughnut reach, cleave and great cleave stacked with whirlwind (meaning a fighter could clear a room of 30 bugbears in one round), and about a million other unbalancing bugs and oversights, yeah?
Considering your complete overreaction to "Neverwinter", your complete overreaction to some bugs and oversights is not surprizing and any kind of rational discussion seems pointless.
But just for the kicks: Name one cRPG with a more faithful adaption of 3rd ed. Hell, name one cRPG with a more faithful adaption to any D&D ed in the last 20 years.
Knights of the Chalice?
:M
What Grunker and Gulnar said.

Weasel
Saw a new interview with the WOTC D&D manager and the head of N-Space. Goes into the WOTC/Atari issues and a few details about SCL.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/03/01/h...d-set-and-on-the-bleeding-edge-on-realmslore/

The fact of the matter is that for a long time, we had our video game publishing rights in a long-term agreement with Atari. Its publishing strategy for D&D games didn’t match my strategy exactly, but I’ve only been on the brand for three years. They brought me in at Wizards to run D&D, primarily because of my video game experience in the past. Right before I came on, they had ended their agreement, their relationship with Atari and said, we want to take the rights back. We want to manage this. We want to make the great D&D games we know our fans want. We don’t think that having someone else control our rights is the right way to do it.

We didn’t think Atari was doing the best job, so we were able to end that. I say that all nice and fuzzy because I wasn’t in the middle of it, but the fact of the matter is there was litigation over the deal. This wasn’t the best ending of a relationship.

GamesBeat: The Sword Coast, that’s a huge expanse of territory. Does this also include the Sword Coast North?

Tudge: Oh, you differentiate between the two? Yes, there are portions of the Sword Coast North that we’re visiting.

I think a theme there is that this is the base game. We have a long tail planned for supporting it. We have a long-term partnership together. We’ll be telling stories together for a long time. It’ll become way more apparent as we roll out each new story theme that we’re telling during this time as to what areas and locations become necessary.

You’ll have one to four players in the party. Those players can meet up with other real players or characters you’ve met in the game. You can still play by yourself with three additional A.I. party members. Then the DM joins in as a real-time DM.

Right from the get-go, we wanted to make sure that, having been a DM — there’s a lot of work involved in preparing and having a campaign ready. We wanted to give people the opportunity to immediately jump in and start playing as a DM. We focused heavily on the real-time aspect of that. We have offline campaign tools that allow DMs to create very lengthy, almost limitless campaigns. But we’re not talking a lot about that right now.

In a lot of respects we’re the bleeding edge on Realms lore as it gets put together.

But because N-Space is, in essence, an extension of us and we’re all part of the same team, what you’re going to see in the official game canon in there is that they’re going to be very true to the stories and canon that we’re telling, in terms of gods and deities and their power and whether Lolth is or is not in the Abyss and stuff.

I know for a fact that the R&D team and your design team are really driving deep into magic items right now. You should expect to see lots of cool Forgotten Realms magic stuff in there.

imweasel

You’ll have one to four players in the party. Those players can meet up with other real players or characters you’ve met in the game. You can still play by yourself with three additional A.I. party members. Then the DM joins in as a real-time DM.
A.I. party members? Like in Dragon Age: Inquisition or what?

Weasel

Saw a dev comment on this. Will just leave it here to chum the waters a bit +M

NS ASH said:
It implies that if you play by yourself the other three characters will be AI-controlled, not controlled by you. I hope this is not the case, I'd rather control my party like in BG2.

You control your party members and can switch between them at any time. You can set up some great combos this way.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

NS ASH said:
It implies that if you play by yourself the other three characters will be AI-controlled, not controlled by you. I hope this is not the case, I'd rather control my party like in BG2.

You control your party members and can switch between them at any time. You can set up some great combos this way.
"Switch between characters" Yeah that's basically DA:I/ME style party control confirmed.

Shannow

Waster of Time

NS ASH said:

"Switch between characters" Yeah that's basically DA:I/ME style party control confirmed.
How is it different from Daahoh or NWN2?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

NS ASH said:

How is it different from Daahoh or NWN2?
No different from DA:O's over the shoulder mode, but it featured a real tactical mode.

NWN2 sucks balls too, so "as good of controls as NWN2" would make me avoid it.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
Dan Tudge ‏@DanTudge 1 t1 tunti sitten
Ready to roll on SCL demos!

B_Hrw9NVIAAlAxS.jpg:large

Cool looking menu screen. :M

Maybe they'll show us some character creation or inventory screenies as well.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Ok. I don't mind the whole "A.I. controls party members" too much. Especially when you can set up the A.I. like in Daahoh (though it should have been far more sophisticated). But it sure isn't what I'd call tactical. On the other hand, good tactics was already out when they decided against TB and for RTwP. So this AI stuff can actually provide something, that wouldn't be in with TB... *shrug*
While I'm risking even more future gloating I'll just point out, that if one was inclined to interpret their statements more positively, one could also read the description of IE games with scripts into that statement. It doesn't need to mean that that type of control is not in.

agris

Arcane
Patron
What the fuck is Daahoh? Dragon Age: Origins? Is reddit slipping mercury into your water?

DarkArcher

Educated
Isn't this game more like a MOBA inspired version of Neverwinter? It's cross-platform which means it probably is meant to be played with a gamepad. Clearly more Diablo III and less Baldur's Gate.

I want a game where my low level spells/abilities still have value later in the game. Could we also have more than 5 actions available?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing

Doesn't seem very popular with the crowd over there:

I wish someone could do a game like this but in 1st person or 3rd person (over shoulder) view. Neverwinter Nights already did this in the past, it was fun as long as you have a good Dungeon Master, but birds-eye-Diablo-view? Not in 2015, come on.

I want to immerse myself into the fantasy world and role play my character. Can't do this in a birds eye view cause it breaks the immersion. To me, the game feels like a budget-Diablo wannabe. It's a Diablo game but rather than having a complex AI and scripted events, you have a player Dungeon Master do everything for you.

They should copy that D&D event in Fable 3, where 3 nerd NPCs shrink your hero with magic and place you in their "D&D" world and spawn monsters and have a quirky story that they role play for you and you gotta fight your way through it! Simply because the camera is 3rd person/overshoulder, I'm able to immerse myself and really feel like I'M IN THE GAME!

Sounded good until they said Dragon Age combat. That game had a great story but the combat and animation was boring and not fun. I wish more games look at Dragons Dogma and Dark Souls for inspiration for combat

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom