Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Sword Coast Legends, a new Dungeons & Dragons RPG, announced by n-Space and Digital Extremes

kain30

Cipher
i hope it have TB option :)

Zeriel

Arcane
Cooldowns were basically a foregone conclusion. Even D:OS uses them. I don't know why, but designers love them.

Easy to balance.

Modern game designers love anything that lets them reliably control how players will move through a game, and how much power they will have at any given time.

It's really less about being fun, and more about making sure you know 100% of players can finish your game.

Might be good if the editor is any good and leads to a mod scene comparable to NWN's.

Haha, what are you guys smoking? The mod tool will be a joke.

And for those of you holding out some hope this will be an actual RPG, just rewatch the trailer. It's all there. One skillbar, no extra pages. A handful of skills that all operate off of cooldowns. It's babby's first D&D, just like the Neverwinter MMO. Although to be fair even an authentic D&D RPG would, these days, be babby's first D&D too, since they drastically changed even the tabletop game to be about spammable abilities that recharge between encounters.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
I have no hope of this being a great D&D game but I hope it is a playable isometric Dragon Age game and not Diablow with four characters, that is why I need to see more of the character system.

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space
Although to be fair even an authentic D&D RPG would, these days, be babby's first D&D too, since they drastically changed even the tabletop game to be about spammable abilities that recharge between encounters.
4e, sure. However, I don't see how that's a fair and accurate description of 5e, though, simplified as it may inarguably be.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
It's really less about being fun, and more about making sure you know 100% of players can finish your game.

Straight from game design school, next most important lesson after "DLC or P2W, what's the best way to monetize your game?"

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
I'm kind of unfamiliar with D&D 5th edition.... but isn't the general consensus that there is nothing solid there, gameplay wise. So saying that you are basing something on 5th edition to me, seems like saying nothing at all except that setting will be Forgotten Realms. Actual gameplay could be PS2 Bladur's Gate with pause feature, no? I'm very suspicious at the moment.

I'm kind of unfamiliar with D&D 5th edition.... but isn't the general consensus that there is nothing solid there
Not familiar with it either (nor with any edition after the third) and to be honest I heard a lot of conflicting statements about the ruleset. According to some people the fifth is the best D&D ever, others seem to hate it.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
5ed is a complete middle ground between AD&D and 3.X with a a few other ideas thrown in and nerfed quite a bit in the players favor. Now, your mileage is going to vary greatly based on what you like. For example, if you liked distributing skill points every level and crafting magic items, then you should stick with 3.X. Likewise, if you prefer the horrors of AD&D styled wights, ettercaps, rust monsters and death penalties then you'll find the 5ed versions lacking. I myself am working on some simple house rules for a "Bastard's Edition" of 5ed to bring back some of the heinosity of bygone days. (level drain, equipment damage, harsh death penalties, ect...)

Last edited:
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm kind of unfamiliar with D&D 5th edition.... but isn't the general consensus that there is nothing solid there
Not familiar with it either (nor with any edition after the third) and to be honest I heard a lot of conflicting statements about the ruleset. According to some people the fifth is the best D&D ever, others seem to hate it.

That's true for every ruleset though.
There are always grognards who have that irrational fear that if they don't shit on a more current edition or other popular rulesets hard enough, players will be migrating from their preferred ruleset into those and leave them in the clutch.
Just ignore those people and find one that you and your group enjoy and all is well with the world.

kain30

Cipher
i´ve always played and i still play with ad&d 2ed. it´s the one i like the most to be an DM :)

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Ehhh, the writer is responsible for Oghren in Dragon Age: Origins. Not sure what to think.
Well, Oghren was a gas, wasn't he?

Huh... the trailer has a lot of content. I'm gonna laugh my dick off if this game turns out to be a better IE sequel than Pillars of Eternity.
PoE was never announced as a sequel to IE. They wouldn't be so foolish as to make such a clear statement, "going for IE 'feels'" I think was the phrase used. But I know a game which was heralded as "a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series". That one had cooldowns too ;)

It's so cynical how they all invoke the same names, yet end up producing relatively shallow games that have nothing to do with the purported source of inspiration.

Murk

Arcane
Pretend I said "spiritual" before 'sequel' in that quote. I know what PoE billed itself as, and said reason was also why I didn't buy into the kickstarter.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
When will the devs learn that level 1 character casting 1hp minor heal is not a valid reason for huge colourful flashes and screen shaking... :D

Hoping for it to be improved ToEE is probably too much, but still... looks interesting.

Zeriel

Arcane
When will the devs learn that level 1 character casting 1hp minor heal is not a valid reason for huge colourful flashes and screen shaking... :D

Hoping for it to be improved ToEE is probably too much, but still... looks interesting.

This fucking shit is so aids and its everywhere these days. I was a big fan of Baldur's Gate and Torment's flashy spell animations, but those felt like they belonged, now you see a nuclear bomb going off when you use your Level 1 slash and it does no damage.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher

This fucking shit is so aids and its everywhere these days. I was a big fan of Baldur's Gate and Torment's flashy spell animations, but those felt like they belonged, now you see a nuclear bomb going off when you use your Level 1 slash and it does no damage.

Exactly. It's honestly creepy how hard the devs are trying to make the player feel awesome with this "everyun iz speshul" crap, adding massive effects for even the most mundane things.

That aside, how are the Baldurs Gate effects flashy? As far as I remember, those were mostly like "character wiggling hands over a small glowing orb for 2 seconds". :D

Zeriel

Arcane

Exactly. It's honestly creepy how hard the devs are trying to make the player feel awesome with this "everyun iz speshul" crap, adding massive effects for even the most mundane things.

That aside, how are the Baldurs Gate effects flashy? As far as I remember, those were mostly like "character wiggling hands over a small glowing orb for 2 seconds". :D

A lot of high level spells have effects that are pretty dramatic and visually huge in the context of the game world's space. Defensive spells especially got pretty absurd (spell turning/shields covering the entire screen when on multiple characters). Torment famously went full FF8 in its approach, of course.

The thing that the Infinity Engine games did really well was consistency among all its parts. Lower level and less powerful spells had smaller effects, which in turn emphasized the ones that went really crazy and made them stand out more. Modern games like Diablo 3 often forget about the importance of differentiating VFX, with everything looking as if it's about the same power level. It's very much a case of "if everyone is special, then no one is special", or in this case, if every VFX is crazily impressive, they all seem bland.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Might be good if the editor is any good and leads to a mod scene comparable to NWN's.

The best hope for that is that Obsidian makes a turn-based Pathfinder cRPG with a good editor, a mash-up of Neverwinter Nights and the Temple of Elemental Evil.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom