Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Sword Coast Legends, a new Dungeons & Dragons RPG, announced by n-Space and Digital Extremes

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space
Drow - they are a separate race in the Neverwinter MMO. Though they would also be a prime candidate for a DLC-race.
I considered putting them up there, but the two additional subraces elves get in core 5e (drow in PHB and eladrin in DMG) sound like prime DLC-bait to me (the other five races I'd like in a proper expansion, please), not like something that should be in a base game (if indeed at all) - especially since they emphasize in the very books themselves that these two are completely optional, and that DMs should think thrice about allowing them as PCs because of the unique circumstances they come with. Besides, drow being a subrace, they may not count them even if they're in. Remember, unlike Neverwinter Online, this ain't based on 4e.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
C&C? From the team that brought you the Sonic RPG? Are you having a laugh? :lol:

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well it looks ok actually. I want to know about character creation / development tho. And RTwP sucks, meh :(

Could be worse tho of course.

Mortmal

Arcane
We were expecting something like baldurs gate dark alliance at best . So rtwp is the lesser evil. Cautiously fapping.

Weasel
Well it looks ok actually. I want to know about character creation / development tho. And RTwP sucks, meh :(

Could be worse tho of course.

MMO Cooldown spells and abilities.

What's interesting is their forums seem to be full of enthusiastic DnD fans expecting a relatively faithful implementation of 5e. There are NWN mod authors talking of campaigns they've been working on for ten years and how keen they are to move onto a new platform. There are discussions about which 6 classes are in the initial game and speculation about subclasses and extra races added in expansions.

Yet every time someone asks the community manager or one of the other staff for more information, like if this will play like a 5e game or an MMO with 5e spell names, of if there will be a full spell roster, the response is always that they can't reveal more right now. They're keeping things very, very vague. I realise it's only the first day, but these questions aren't that hard to answer or include in the Q&A - and meanwhile they're racking up quite expensive "limited preorder" packages.

So either this will be much better than some here expect and worth paying attention to. Or, there will be a massive, massive explosion of butthurt from people preordering assuming this is a full DnD game.

Mortmal

Arcane
From what i see on the video its a full fledged game already , if they dont want to answer fans on this then its likely because said fans wont appreciate the answers. MMO cooldowns on feat and spells , a barebone spell roster, maybe pre fixed stats autolevel and no character creation...Obviously team fortress hats, countless preorder pack with special weapons to get an easy start , the usual.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It is possible that they're holding back information due to having a coordinated media campaign planned out that will reveal things.

You've gotten used to how Kickstarters do this sort of thing. These guys seem to have a bit of an AAA mentality.

Tigranes

Arcane
That's true, but it certainly doesn't sound great. After my initial cautious fap I'm more pensive - they really sold it as a proper D&D adventure in that video.

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space
Cooldown alert from 0:50 onward... could be not so bad if it's only supposed to keep you from spamming in real-time, but it's rather foreboding a visual for a D&D adaptation. Considering that the one good thing about 5e compared to 3e is that the franchise's core spellcasting rules finally make sense, me be disappoint. Well, at least no global cooldowns to be seen so far. :/

Murk

Arcane
Huh... the trailer has a lot of content. I'm gonna laugh my dick off if this game turns out to be a better IE sequel than Pillars of Eternity.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
i just hope they dont go all crazy with the art style and keep less Dragon Age and more Justin Sweet. We shall see.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Cooldown alert from 0:50 onward... could be not so bad if it's only supposed to keep you from spamming in real-time, but it's rather foreboding a visual for a D&D adaptation. Considering that the one good thing about 5e compared to 3e is that the franchise's core spellcasting rules finally make sense, me be disappoint. Well, at least no global cooldowns to be seen so far. :/

Cooldowns were basically a foregone conclusion. Even D:OS uses them. I don't know why, but designers love them.

imweasel

Cooldowns were basically a foregone conclusion. Even D:OS uses them. I don't know why, but designers love them.
Yep, The RPG Codex Role-Playing Game of the Year is multiplayer shovelware with shitty MMO cooldowns.

:smug:

Sarcasm aside, cooldowns are an easy way to balance combat, i.e. more powerful spells (usually) have longer cooldowns.

Anyway, D&D 5E doesn't have cooldowns, so it is not really clear why SCL has them.

EDIT:
What self-respecting Codexer doesn't?
Some Codexers are just versatile.

We love da TB and da RTwP.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
TB must stand for TotalBiscuit in that case.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom