Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Sword Coast Legends, a new Dungeons & Dragons RPG, announced by n-Space and Digital Extremes

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Looks okay. These games are pooping out all of a sudden, its rtwp but I dont care. Looks less gay than Dragon Age.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
There is not enough footage to know if this sucks, show me the character creation screen.

I have to wonder if they've even made one or whether its all prototype. Is this some sort of attempt to pre-empt Obsidian/Paizo from tapping into that sweet sweet Original Sin co-op RPG adventure money?

vorvek

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Why would they dumb down a game that's already kind of meh? Last few times I played some pnp dnd5e sessions it was sort of fun, but you pretty much pick a path inside a class and that's about it. I recall there being feats, but for some reason it was better not to take them and do something else instead (I don't remember what, there weren't that many level ups). Overall, it's probably a bit less MMOish than 4e, but I'm sure the character system translates well enough to a videogame.

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
My impressions from the info so far:
* the art style and villages reminds me more of diablo 3 at night, not a bad thing, just similar
* $249 for collectors edition... That is trying too fucking hard.
* I can see the DA:O influence in the encounters shown, but I liked that game, so again it's a net positive.
* The spell effects look a bit too cartoony. Rather have some gore and grit to make the effects look more punchy, NOT the "I've just been slaughtering pigs all afternoon" bloodiness of Dragon age however.

Overall if it does release this year and for only $40 bucks, if Underail, PoE and Serpent in the Staglands all come out this year, well there isn't even going to be time to play this if it is bad!
Win-win situation imo.

DemonKing

Arcane
I'm in - given we managed to skip a whole edition of D&D without one single-player CRPG released to support it it's about time IMO. I have the 5th ed. core books and I have to say they look like an improvement over the 4th ed. version. Also it's being released solely on the PC Master Race so that's worth supporting. RTwP or Turn based doesn't really matter to me either.

serch

Magister
This will be some bimonetized shit. First you pay the upfront price and then you have to add some bucks for each monster, magic item, class, race,... you want to add to your game. Epic shitstorm incoming. Also RTwP, fuck no :killit:

lurker3000

Arcane
Wow when I looked at the pics it really brought back NWN2 (prettier of course).

Dungeon Master Mode: Create your own epic adventure to share with your friends,

Wonder what that means exactly.

leferd

Augur
So this is essentially a multiplayer DA:O and NWN stepchild made by Bio castoffs without postgraduate degrees.

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
So this is essentially a multiplayer DA:O and NWN stepchild made by Bio castoffs without postgraduate degrees.
Are they castoffs or refugees from the decline at Bioware? Sad to be all the employees that didn't get to decide they were going to pursue their beer making dreams after EA bought them out.

Korron

Cipher
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong
DA:O wasn't the clusterfuck some of you make it out to be. Not a fan of the art style. Color me intrigued and hopeful.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Are they castoffs or refugees from the decline at Bioware? Sad to be all the employees that didn't get to decide they were going to pursue their beer making dreams after EA bought them out.
They were attached to Daaoh. Thus, being after NWN (OC) and in Daaoh that's deep in the decline. Question answered.

Shannow

Waster of Time
I wonder if Feargus Urquhart's recent rant about D&D had anything at all to do with this...
Hmm, hard to call it a rant, when he's not actually criticizing any specifics. I take two things away from that "rant".
1. He doesn't like the way D&D is developing.
2. He doesn't like (the way) Hasbro (is handling the franchise).

Can you give any reasons why you see any connection to this anouncement? I mean "OE is not doing and (in the near future) will not be doing a D&D game.". And "n-Space is doing a D&D game.". Where is the connection?
Infinitron you haven't answered. Have I finally made your ignore-list? Explain yourself.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Yeah I finished DA:O, only to never play it again.

If one thing can be said about BioWare it's that their games have always been finishable.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Cautiously fapping. I liked Dragon Age Origins, it was the last decent cRPG from Bioware, so if they manage to make something similar, I will be satisfied. Also, I can't wait to return to the Forgotten Realms in a game, I got fond of the universe during my IE times.

Durante

Learned
Patron
There is not enough footage to know if this sucks, show me the character creation screen.
That's what I thought all throughout the video. Show me character creation (or just the character sheet even) and I'll tell you if this sucks.

Azeot

Arbiter
Am I the only one that thinks this game looks awfully similar to NWN2 as interface and aesthetics, even animations? Which is not, by the way, a good thing.

Durante

Learned
Patron
Actually, the NWN2 interface was great, but this doesn't look at all like it. What made the NWN2 interface great was how modular, customizable and feature-rich it was.

It would give gamers used to modern-day consolitis a headache:

nwn2_ss_111507_204442tmes.jpg

It had 9 quickbars of 12 slots each, but also other ways to quickly access any skills, such as the quick cast interface (brought up with a simple keystroke). It had 3 separate modes for different situations. It had keyboard shortcuts for everything.

Oh, and as you can see at the top, it allowed you to queue actions, tracked all queued actions for each character, and you could cancel and replace any of them at any time before they went active. The latter is like the single most convenient feature in any RTwP game, and still people often don't implement it (I think the only DA game which had it was DA:O).

I do agree that NWN2's aesthetic were crap, but this actually looks quite a bit better in that regard.

Shannow

Waster of Time
snip

It had 3 separate modes for different situations.

snip
Most of which NWN1 already had. Many of which where clunky or outright bugged.
And if you're referring to the 3 camera modes: 3x shit = shit

Otherwise I agree ;)

But I don't think LotSC looks much like NWN2. At least not more so than any other fantasy, 3d, RPG game.
IMO, I looks more sombre, more detailed and less bloated UI-wise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom