Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Preview Swen Vincke's Divinity: Original Sin 2 Presentation at EGX Rezzed 2017

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Make America Great Again Infinitron Trade Master Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Click here and disable ads!
    Tags: Divinity: Original Sin 2; Larian Studios; Swen Vincke

Larian's Swen Vincke was once again at EGX Rezzed in London this year to talk about Divinity: Original Sin 2. What was advertised as a presentation about the challenges of designing the game's narrative turned out to be more of a live preview. For 24 minutes, Swen played through the game's opening, while pointing out how Larian had handled the complexities of writing for a game where your protagonist may or may not have an origin story that unlocks unique dialogue, your companions also have origin stories, and any character can talk to anybody. Not to mention multiplayer.

There's nothing really new here as such, but it's a great introduction to Divinity: Original Sin 2 and the concepts behind it.

• Brofist Brofist x 11
    • Excited! Excited! x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Yes! Yes! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Quillon Learned

Quillon
    Parrots:
    Haven't followed DoS:2 at all. Damn. All these character choices, ones we don't chose becoming companions, choosing their classes/archetypes etc was what I was thinking would be in my dream RPG over the years... too bad this is turn based and over the top fantasy :P

Tho I don't like that you can essentially be your companions and talk with NPCs as if you are them; the very thing I hated in DoS1, which they are adding despite even more narrative work. Guess ppl who loves this game loves that aspect also, whatever...

• retadred x 9
    • decline x 6
    • WTF am I reading x 3
    • hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Doggy x 2
    • You're Fired! x 2
    • Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Drowed Arcane

Drowed
    Parrots:
    :shunthenonbeliever:

The decline never ends...

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Kron Arcane

Kron
    Parrots:
    The least contributing factor to Divinity Original Sin being a shit game is the fact that it's turn based.

• Edgy Edgy x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • WTF!? WTF!? x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Quillon Learned

Quillon
    Parrots:
    Yeah dudes I'm blind to the fact that most of you are turn based fags.

FUCK TB.

• retadred x 17
    • WTF am I reading x 6
    • decline x 5
    • Shit x 3
    • Doggy x 2
    • Build the Wall! x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    Parrots:
    Not a problem, here, go meet your friends:
    www.rpgwatch.com

We have plenty of stupid newfags already, one less won't make a difference.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Salute Salute x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Quillon Learned

Quillon
    Parrots:
    It's more fun watching your delusions as you expect your dream TB game from Obsidian whose only TB game is SP. Or from MCA, the fag who's afraid of leading a game & failing > losing all you fags' support, therefore you'll find him only in supporting roles and won't be able to blame him for anything which you don't want to anyway.

It's even more fun knowing the fact that your biggest realistic hope is Sawyer.

Until then battle with your bros and put out fires with water(wow!).

• retadred x 12
    • Edgy x 4
    • Shit x 4
    • hopw roewur ne x 2
    • meh x 1
    • Build the Wall! x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. sser Arcane

sser
    Parrots:
  9. Drowed Arcane

Drowed
    Parrots:
    Wow, this topic sure took a nosedive to the butthurt (or prosper) land. :lol:

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. pbrand Literate

pbrand
    Parrots:
    >We want other characters world to know about what the players have done

I think that's been the missing link between tabletop and video game RPGs for a while, which has resulted in embarrassing stuff like becoming the archmage in Elder Scrolls and still being treated by a pauper in the surrounding town. It's easy to do by a good GM in a tabletop campaign since the event "data" is fresh in a human's mind, but when it comes to video games it's a complex mess like Larian has stated. But it's also what's compelling, having not only short term consequences to one's actions (immediately failing the quest or whatever) but a residual long-term consequence based on NPC characters' memories of the situation.

I'm still so conflicted because I'm not the biggest fan of Larian's writing style, but at the same time they're so completely correct on the overarching RPG system. It's a lot of work, but this is the direction I'd like to see CRPGs to take.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Shin Savant

Shin
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]

• Salute Salute x 9
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Valky Learned

Valky
    Parrots:
    Go play in traffic.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Salute Salute x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. The Bishop Learned

The Bishop
    Parrots:
    My biggest worry about D:OS 2 right now is that since they're making such extensive dialogue trees and loading the game up with so much scripting, a lot of that stuff is going to be pretty buggy on release. Should be fixable eventually, especially since most dialogue isn't voice acted, but... Going to be difficult to maintain the same level of quality throughout the game as well. This game is shaping up to be something really special. Fingers crossed that Larian can pull it off.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Chaotic_Heretic Magister

Chaotic_Heretic
    Parrots:
    Summoning and Polymorph. That sounds fun. Anyone actually tried that stuff?

^ Top  
  16. ArchAngel Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    So this is now Make codex angry topic? :)

^ Top  
  17. Bohrain Educated

Bohrain
    Parrots:
    This and Bannerlord are pretty much the only games I'm looking forward to.
    I do wonder why the Undead origin seems to stay in WIP for ages.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. I'm With Her Mustawd for prison Shitty Team Member, ditch at first opportunity Douchebag! Illiterate Sychophantic Noob Village Idiot Weasel Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Trigger Warning Edgy No Fun Allowed Shitposter Cuck Manlet

Mustawd
    Parrots:
    • Brofist x 3
    • Creative x 3
    • Edgy x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. himmy Arcane

himmy
    Parrots:

Wait, do people even play games before the Enhanced Edition comes out any more?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Make America Great Again Commissar Draco KKKodex WCDS Commissar Patron

Commissar Draco
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Not worth playing before tenth patch, all cut on release intended DLCs are included and game is EE. As DDOR2 I am moderately optimistic as remastered DKS turned to be funny romp and DDOS made the combat at-least fun. Which is much more than all new Obshitian and Inshitscale games offer.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Aenra The Invisible Empire Patron

Aenra
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    Speaking of patches and assuming they're reading this, could we please not have a D:OS EE repeat?
    You know, that one 'final' patch that never came to be?

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Valky Learned

Valky
    Parrots:
    I hope there isn't a repeat of a patch that added quest markers, "balance", and awful voice acting to the game.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Make America Great Again CyberWhale Arcane

CyberWhale
    Parrots:
    Looks great, but I'm sad they've stuck to those third-person dialog descriptions. Awkward/10

^ Top  
  24. Maggot meme king

Maggot
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    It's already grown on me but I also like keyword dialogue choices. If all replies to you were in the same style I think it would be kind of shitty though.

^ Top  
  25. Aenra The Invisible Empire Patron

Aenra
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    That wasn't a 'patch' (accuracy is usually a good thing), that was the EE 'remaking'. Making it even worse, lol, as it was a deliberate, conscious shift towards popamoling.
    But yes, 101% on markers, locked areas, etc. Though frankly i'm certain we'll be getting it all again; if not now, soon enough.

Tentative on voice overs. We don't have enough info to know if this was choice or mere necessity. Actors have schedules, other obligations, time-pecific contracts, etc. It being why adding content a year and a half later can be problematic (and avoided by other studios, guess Larian had to learn the hard way). May well be they couldn't book them at the time they needed them and so had to compromise.
    Of course you're entitled to just say "this sucked" and call it a day, you don't have to make excuses for Larian.

Am only differentiating because all this, all of it, is the price paid. This is what happens when you enter a market dominated by retards. Those "AAA" values, they gotta come from somewhere.
    And before you say 'we don't care, we are ""different"" ', yes, you do. Count the spastics commenting on graphics in this game, in Torment, in PoE, etc. Count' em :)

This is the price. Enjoy your "freedom", "equality" and "diversity" in all its glory. They do too.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)