Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Swen Vincke reflects on the development of Div:OS, reveals that it's sold over half a million copies

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
"it sold well for a game that had no marketing whatsoever."
It had lots of marketing. FFS
DOS is extremely hyped. the vat majority of games don't get tv ads. In fact, I'd wager maybe 1% do. DOS was hyped A LOT.
You need to open up a dictionary and look up the word marketing. When Final Fantasy 7 adverts were plastered on busses all over the world, that's marketing. When every convenience store you go to sells World of Warcraft Mountain Dew and Halo 4 Doritos, that's marketing. When a site called RPG codex writes an article about this upcoming RPG and subsequently a lot of people say "that game looks good", that's not marketing.

When a developer reaches out to every youtube previewer and LPer who can command 300k+ views per video, that's marketing. A new school form of marketing which doesn't eat up as much money as the old channels, but still a very calculated and high effort form of marketing.

"it sold well for a game that had no marketing whatsoever."
It had lots of marketing. FFS
DOS is extremely hyped. the vat majority of games don't get tv ads. In fact, I'd wager maybe 1% do. DOS was hyped A LOT.
You need to open up a dictionary and look up the word marketing. When Final Fantasy 7 adverts were plastered on busses all over the world, that's marketing. When every convenience store you go to sells World of Warcraft Mountain Dew and Halo 4 Doritos, that's marketing. When a site called RPG codex writes an article about this upcoming RPG and subsequently a lot of people say "that game looks good", that's not marketing.

So You mean that the less convincing one method is the more marketing is in it?
:troll:

Thane Solus

Arcane
very happy for them, they did a good job. 500k its quite good, most of us are used to the millions needed to break even by derpy companies which hire the most incompetent and have the most inefficient budget management, but here its not the case, i wait for more cool games from them.

:bro:

mbpopolano24

Arbiter
I am not used to the idea of a game a like so much having this much success.... It is clear from the update that not only they are working on their next big project, but very likely on more juicy content for DOS. A new dungeon, some 'roaring' creatures? I hope it is going to be a full expansion within the next few months, maybe just in time for the holidays and the winter sale, to bring us even more joy and them more success. A man robot can only dream.....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom