Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Swen Vincke: Gaming journalists don't get Divinity: Original Sin

Rake

Arcane

Martius

Liturgist
Or Planescape: Torment such a commercial success.

by 2004 torment had 6 million copies sold
By that time Interplay was allready in bad shape. Some source of that woudl help. I supose that would count also digital sales but I doubt Torment sold that much over years. What about sales at launch?

Nugs

Learned
Probated

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Good games sell, bad games don't.
That's why Oblivion was such a failure, oh wait...

Or Planescape: Torment such a commercial success.

by 2004 torment had 6 million copies sold

But it was a flop at release. It's true that quality tends to take time to be recognised while popularity will be accepted right away and may wane later, but that doesn't mean much when all you are concerned with are sales and the money it generates. And that's assuming Torment sold 6 millions anyway …

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
lol Torment 6 million copies :lol:

BG2 hasn't sold that much either. Not even close.

Obvious troll is obvious, people.

Rake

Arcane

eh they did, BG2 sold more
The whole BG series possibly is beyond the 6 million mark by now. Torment i would quess is somewhere around 2 millions, but this is over a 15 year period, for a fraction of the original price.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
You just called nr 1 an 2 Codex best games as shit.
the codex has really shitty taste in games. it's just not quite as shitty as the general public's. :M
It's more-so that the RPG genre sucks at combat design. Hopefully either DOS and/or Numenera will be good examples of turn based games. And Sawyer somehow manages to make RTWP not a clusterfuck, but that's more doubtful.

Monty

Arcane

The whole BG series possibly is beyond the 6 million mark by now. Torment i would quess is somewhere around 2 millions, but this is over a 15 year period, for a fraction of the original price.
That sounds about right, as they were apparently at 5m for the BG series by 2006:

Baldur's Gate was the first game in the Baldur's Gate series. It was immediately followed by the expansion pack Tales of the Sword Coast (1999), then the sequel Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn (2000) and its expansion pack Throne of Bhaal (2001). As of 2006, total sales for all releases in the series was almost five million copies.[24]

The idea that Torment sold 6 million by 2004 and BG2 'sold more' is laughable.

Nugs

Learned
Probated
I meant by today they have sold more than DD and DKS

Arkeus

Arcane
We will see how DOS is, but can it dethrone Torment, Arcanum, TOEE, Ultima 6, Fallout 1, Project Eternity? Larian is not making anything ground breaking here

They actually do groundbreaking things.

First, they are doing a turn-based, open world rpg, which wasn't seen since Arcanum- and Arcanum's turnbase was broken as heck.

Second, this game is the first time i hear of a open-world rpg that's co-op focused.

Third, they are also adding an editor- i don't know yet how much hype about the editor is true or not, but it stays that having a editor for a isometric turn-based party rpg is not common at all. The only others close to it i can think of are NWN2 (1 wasn't party-based) and Shadowrun returns, and NWN2 was RWTP.

Visperas

Augur
This game will rock. The alpha is already a great game full of possibilities and a lot of people seem to forget larian's broness and the game editor. Mark my words, a classic in the making.

Nugs

Learned
Probated
We will see how DOS is, but can it dethrone Torment, Arcanum, TOEE, Ultima 6, Fallout 1, Project Eternity? Larian is not making anything ground breaking here

They actually do groundbreaking things.

First, they are doing a turn-based, open world rpg, which wasn't seen since Arcanum- and Arcanum's turnbase was broken as heck.

Second, this game is the first time i hear of a open-world rpg that's co-op focused.

Third, they are also adding an editor- i don't know yet how much hype about the editor is true or not, but it stays that having a editor for a isometric turn-based party rpg is not common at all. The only others close to it i can think of are NWN2 (1 wasn't party-based) and Shadowrun returns, and NWN2 was RWTP.

Groundbreaking means it was never done before

1) Was done by arcanum
2) Arcanum also has co-op

http://www.terra-arcanum.com/sierra/game/game-multiplayer.html

Even BG 1 and 2 had it

3)eh editor is not something 'never done before'

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
You should lurk harder then. OS is doing several ground-breaking things with the multi-player. If they prove to be smart design wise, only time will tell.

Arkeus

Arcane
Groundbreaking means it was never done before

1) Was done by arcanum
2) Arcanum also has co-op

http://www.terra-arcanum.com/sierra/game/game-multiplayer.html
Arcanum didn't have turn-based combat in multiplayer, nor did it acknowledge there being multiple players in the systems beside 'smaller maps, no map travel'.

Even BG 1 and 2 had it
BG1 and BG2 didn't disable multiplayer but didn't do anything with it, it wasn't in turn-based combat, and you couldn't split your party either.

3)eh editor is not something 'never done before'
Editor for isometric turn-base game with a party is groundbreaking. That's the whole thing ShadowRun return was supposed to concentrate on.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
How do you judge that?
Did Diablo 3 looked like AAA, that is 4 times+ more costs than Witcher 2?
Diablo 3 was crazy-expensive because of all the years they spent making it. D:OS has the standard 3.5

Is it possible for an isometric game to "look" expensive?
Yes. Large amount of polys and unique assets, really detailed textures and animations, that sort of thing.

The same reason Arcanum, ToEE and Bloodlines never sold millon copies? I quess they are average games at best, it's not rocket science. Troika is vastly overrated on Codex.
:roll:
There's a statement I can almost agree with. I'd argue most RPGs are below average when compared to games as a whole though. Especially Larian and Troika.

The Codex's Anti-Larian Squad is way lamer than the Anti-Inxile and Anti-Obsidian Squads. Alts, shitposters, and people with postcounts in the double digits. :1/5:
I'm clearly in a league of my own.

Rake

Arcane
There's a statement I can almost agree with. I'd argue most RPGs are below average when compared to games as a whole though. Especially Larian and Troika.
Only in the "gameplay" aspect. And since even i admit that, but strangely i don't like any other game expect RPGs (plus adventure and RPG/strategy hybrids) i asume there is something else RPGs have that the other games lack. I don't like "games" in general, yet i like many RPGs.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

That sounds about right, as they were apparently at 5m for the BG series by 2006:

Baldur's Gate was the first game in the Baldur's Gate series. It was immediately followed by the expansion pack Tales of the Sword Coast (1999), then the sequel Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn (2000) and its expansion pack Throne of Bhaal (2001). As of 2006, total sales for all releases in the series was almost five million copies.[24]

The idea that Torment sold 6 million by 2004 and BG2 'sold more' is laughable.
They have to count expansion packs to get to 5 million total sales.

I've heard BG2 sold around 2 million copies, and that sounds reasonable to me. PS:T was about 400k and posted above.

Both games have done well in digital sales, but even if they doubled their sales numbers (unlikely), that doesn't put either one close to 6 million. Nor does it put PS:T above 1 million.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom