Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Swen Vincke: Gaming journalists don't get Divinity: Original Sin

DraQ

Arcane
...and Rock, Paper, Shotgun calls it Ultima VII-2

They're also so fucking retarded they don't know there already was an actual Ultima VII-2
Or maybe you are just being autistic? Expansions are not sequels.
:hmmm:

RPGCodex said:
dnf
Dumbfuck!
dumbfuck.gif

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Though I am assuming that these days all they need is to be able to read and write as well as own a console.

Great. Awesome. This means any moron (such as me) can write a review and become a "gaming journalist".

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Though I am assuming that these days all they need is to be able to read and write as well as own a console.

Great. Awesome. This means any moron (such as me) can write a review and become a "gaming journalist".
congratulations! you realized the most essential truth about gaming "journalism"!
now off you go on your quest to mooch extra special game editions, doritos and mountain dew. better start up your own youtube channel as well and get a female "staff member" 'cos boobs = bigger manchild audience.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
hiver said
And more videos of two people playing it together - while doing these interesting things.

And those two "people" should be a guy and a girl. Not two developers, not two journalists, not any two assholes.
Better yet they should be two girls. (and if you think thats like cheap or something then youre a complete motherfucking retard)

They should film people playing and interacting with each other - having adventures together - laughing together and having romantic moments together.
just like that video of two people getting engaged while playing the game together.

-
Im giving you this stuff for free - but i really should be payed for things like this.
Because you do have a guy who you are paying to invent things like this.

This is the biggest strength of your game and even better - IT IS SOMETHING COMPLETELY UNIQUE IN THE HISTORY OF THE VIDEO GAMES.
There have been co-ops before but nothing quite like this. Ever.

and that is pure platinum in PR...

I agree - best unique feature for promotion in social media and newspapers.

Closest game to Ultima 7 - is a good slogan for the gaming press.

Features turn based combat and c&c - is good for sites like the Codex, Gamebanshee and the Watch.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
congratulations! you realized the most essential truth about gaming "journalism"!
now off you go on your quest to mooch extra special game editions, doritos and mountain dew. better start up your own youtube channel as well and get a female "staff member" 'cos boobs = bigger manchild audience.

I'll write about trannys in video games and why the matriarchy is oppressive towards their inner male. Something something indies = trannys something something. FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Original DD finally grew on me and the next two parts were good two but this guy is a whining twat. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! People don't understand our 'complicated' game. No, it's not complicated. get over yourself. He must fear the game bombing if he's already making excuses. A pity.

Xenich

Cipher
Original DD finally grew on me and the next two parts were good two but this guy is a whining twat. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! People don't understand our 'complicated' game. No, it's not complicated. get over yourself. He must fear the game bombing if he's already making excuses. A pity.

He has a valid point. People today tend to be shallow and assumptive. Larian's games have a lot of details in them that are subtle too which players who are used to "click click click... OMG hury up!" will miss. The comments he made in the OP were about the fact that the game being generalized as something it isn't at all because those who review it use that generalizing mentality to classify it. The game has depth, all Larian games have a massive amount of attention into little details in everything from writing, scripting, to items and environments. All of these things are missed by people who play in deliberately obtuse manners, which... is somewhat understandable because most games shallowly cater to this play approach.

He has every right to be... concerned. The public is a fickle beast and quality does not always insure success. There are numerous stories of quality products and works in history that were disregarded because of it not "catching the market". Hell, look at VHS vs Beta.

It isn't that DOS is complicated, it is that too much of the public suffers from a short attention span, which to be honest explains why there has been a decline for so long.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
No. No. No.

Your entire post is extremely shallow, pathetic, and retarted. It's not based on fact.

Xenich

Cipher
No. No. No.

Your entire post is extremely shallow, pathetic, and retarted. It's not based on fact.

Am I to assume that you had this revelation while drawing quick breaths out of that crack pipe you were smoking or was this the result of one of those deep pot smoking logic sessions?

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
No. No. No.

Am I to assume that you had this revelation while drawing quick breaths out of that crack pipe you were smoking or was this the result of one of those deep pot smoking logic sessions?
You are arguing with good ol' Volly. Time to re-examine your life choices, friend.

Xenich

Cipher
No. No. No.

You are arguing with good ol' Volly. Time to re-examine your life choices, friend.

Not really, just making jokes at his expense.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
tl;dr

Swen Vincke: I'd like to call the retards retards but I can't because I want my game to sell millions.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
]They're also so fucking retarded they don't know there already was an actual Ultima VII-2
Or maybe you are just being autistic? Expansions are not sequels.
there is an expansion for ultima 7-1 called forge of virtue. then there is an actual ultima 7-2 called serpent isle which takes place shortly after u7-1. the reason it is called u7-2 is because every new numbering also represents a new engine, while serpent isle was done in the same engine as the black gate. there is also an expansion for u7-2 called the silver seed. don't be a retard like the rps people.
You didn't adress my post. Why Serpent Isle is a sequel and not an expansion? The way rps stated is not retarded, if Original Sin turns out to be good, then it would be a PROPER sequel: New engine, new art assets, new models,new combat, etc,etc while building up on the legacy of U7... while Serpent Isle probably only offers a new story, quests and areas, reharshing assets,models,combat,etc... It makes sense to Lord British to market them as a sequel, since they want you to pay the price of a full game. Even GOG sells the game like it is only one, when they could be making the double by selling the two separately. At least it seems that time have proved my point to be right! The way i see it, Serpent Isle was formely a stand alone expansion, just like STALKER "sequels"...

Nowadays there is plenty of "expansions" being marketed as sequels(COD's, Left 4 Dead,etc) so you shoudn't state that Serpent Isle is a proper sequel just because Lord British tells you so. Maybe you should consider Todd's definition of a RPG then...

It's cute how Rpg codex rages against dumb jornalists while at the same time sucking up to marketing terms, emulating Top 100 bullshit and adopting an "no score review" because numbers are teh evil :lol:

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Eh, frankly, I think he's worrying too much about previews. Sure, it's nice to have a good measure of marketing buzz close to release, but let's not overstate the importance of this. It's also possible to create that through means other than previews.

What does matter (although I am somewhat skeptical of how much it matters for a game like this) are actual reviews, and those will be based on at least a few solid hours of gameplay (technically on finishing the game but lol games jouirnalism), so even a proper troglodyte will have some trouble of confusing D:OS with Diablo. If review outlets managed to give Dragonfall 8+/10, Sven's opus magnum should do just fine in terms of review scores.

Now, if he needs to sell 2 million copies to break even, that's a bit of a problem.

hiver

I agree - best unique feature for promotion in social media and newspapers.
Features turn based combat and c&c - is good for sites like the Codex, Gamebanshee and the Watch.
You seriously think anyone in the "gaming press" knows about or is interested in Ultima 7?

Seriously?

i have to correct something:
this line:
(and if you think thats like cheap or something then youre a complete motherfucking retard)
- in that post, was addresing only the usual posters here, not the devs -

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
You didn't adress my post. Why Serpent Isle is a sequel and not an expansion?
because it's a full length game with updates to the engine that would require some rather big asset update especially since it uses paperdolls, which the black gate does not... and because there is precedent in the form of martian dreams and savage empire which both used the u6 engine but were standalone games, rather than expansions. then there is the fact that carrying your character from black gate to serpent isle would fuck up the combat and unlike their target audience they probably thought that would be a bad idea... and last but not least there is ultima underworld 2 which plays between black gate and serpent isle. the reason gog sells them together is known only to gog but i'd wager it has something to do with the fact that it was already being sold as the complete ultima 7 with both games and add-ons when they reached their budget stage two years after black gate came out.... anyhoo. just shut up.

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I still have a hard time to believe that anyone, even the dumbest, most ignorant shitbrain, could miss the points that make D:OS stand out of the crowd.
I'm not really sure how smart you are if you don't realize some people are really that dumb. There was once a Gamespot review of a third person shooter, complaining that it's a cover system that didn't have cover (it wasn't a cover system game).

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
because it's a full length game with updates to the engine that would require some rather big asset update especially since it uses paperdolls,
Lots of expansions are "a full length game with updates to the engine that would require some rather big asset update which the vanilla game does not..."

and because there is precedent in the form of martian dreams and savage empire which both used the u6 engine but were standalone games, rather than expansions.
Spin-off games. Also, unlike Ultima 7 part 2, both these games doesn't have the number "6" in then.

then there is the fact that carrying your character from black gate to serpent isle would fuck up the combat and unlike their target audience they probably thought that would be a bad idea...
Yeah, so what?

and last but not least there is ultima underworld 2 which plays between black gate and serpent isle.
Spin-off with a different engine. What's the point in mentioning it? If someone made a Ultima 7 related game in 2014 it would still be an expansion to said game

the reason gog sells them together is known only to gog but i'd wager it has something to do with the fact that it was already being sold as the complete ultima 7 with both games and add-ons
Let me take a guess: They sell the two U7 together because they are extremely similar in how they look, play and feel?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
because it's a full length game with updates to the engine that would require some rather big asset update especially since it uses paperdolls,
Lots of expansions are "a full length game with updates to the engine that would require some rather big asset update which the vanilla game does not..."
lots? ok, name three from roughly the same time as u7 or older.
and because there is precedent in the form of martian dreams and savage empire which both used the u6 engine but were standalone games, rather than expansions.
Spin-off games. Also, unlike Ultima 7 part 2, both these games doesn't have the number "6" in then.
'cept u7-2 started development while u7-1 was being developed and was originally supposed to be a spin-off unrelated to the main series as well.

bledcarrot

Educated

Hmm I dunno. I kind of feel like the kinds of people who would mistake this for a Diablo clone wouldn't know what Ultima 7 is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom