Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Swen Vincke explains how the Divinity: Original Sin 2 Early Access release will evolve at PC Gamer

Drowed

Arcane
Honestly, I think this argument that suggests that the voiceacting is "bad" and you should just read and "use your imagination" is as foolish as the argument that the best way to play a game is is to draw the maps in a notebook.

If it's like that, and I should use my imagination to create the voices, use pen and paper to draw my maps... Then, why not just use my imagination to the graphics too, and call 4 or 5 friends and start a Gurps session? I mean, taking this argument to its logical conclusion, this is exactly what it's suggesting. But if I wanted to play a tabletop session, I would do that. Obviously, if I'm playing a eletronic game, I want to enjoy all the things that this type of game can offer me: graphics, sounds, voices, narration, quest logs, maps, etc. It's amazing to think that I need to say this: a book is a book; it's obvious that the character seen in a movie is different from it, because it's an adaptation. They are different media and you're judging something that is being adapted from one to the other - if we're talking about games (a media that has sound and the possibility of using voices), a closer comparison would be to say that "the ideal films were the silent films", because you could "imagine the voice of the characters on it". I'm not advocating here for the "dumbing down", quest compass, floating golden exclamations on the NPC's heads or any of this retarded shit, I'm just saying there are good things that digital/eletronic games can offer, and voices are one of them. There has to be a gigantic distortion and mental gymnastics to get someone to suggest otherwise.

THAT SAID,

Of course that, in the scale of priorities, VO should be near the end. What we had in Fallout was already fully satisfactory to me, with voices only in the most relevant dialogues. Ideally, yeah, I do think the game being fully voiced is something positive (if the voice acting is good - but the same can be said for any other characteristic). But I don't think that it's valid to sacrifice anything else to accomplish this. And the reaction I'm seeing from the "fans" of the game to the fact that it wouldn't be fully voiced is disgusting and retarded.

Aenra

Honestly, I think this argument that suggests that the voiceacting is "bad" and you should just read and "use your imagination" is as foolish as the argument that the best way to play a game is is to draw the maps in a notebook. If it's like that, and I should use my imagination to create the voices, use pen and paper to draw my maps... Then, why not just use my imagination to ...

Am not into pedantics. Long story cut short, everything occurs in increments in this life. The leaps, quantum, logical or whichever other a flavour you fancy, are an exception. The rule is 'incremental'.
And incrementally, you, the statistically average western citizen, are being treated more and more and more like a useless, incapable, unimaginative and unintelligent human specimen.

That is why. It is only its implications (well, one of them here) that we are discussing, but this is what it boils down to. You can only equate by downsizing; and that is what you have, here, as well.

Aenra

Sadly, yeah.. but we do need to make a distinction here:

- "MMO itemisation" as most retards mean it (a-la WoW for instance) is bad; big minus for Larian that it's so keen (again guys, see: expanded audience) to keep it, although for the interests of fairness we also have to say that what they're doing is NOT that. Loot is too random, too easy, too frequent. So you are using the wrong term, but yeah, say it's "MMO itemisation" and suppose we all grasp what's infered. O.K., Bad.
- But MMO itemisation a-la Vanguard or SWG? Different thing altogether. Them too had been MMOs ^^

So again, it's about the implementation. To name a different example, again semi-related? You* can be the moron who keeps saying "CDs suck, period", incapable of comprehending physics and its significance thereof in o-n-l-i-n-e, real time games; or you can be the person that can distinguish 'could' from 'is' and 'must'.
*you as in generally, not imweasel specifically.

edit: to be even clearer, as the influx of morans is alas unceasing. They could keep the "gamey" "go go go" nature of the current loot system, but iterate on it and add some quality features. Features we've had ten and fifteen years back; they need not reinvent any wheels.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mustawd

In regard to VO:
Too small a pool to form results out of, except i've seen these particular replies/thoughts posted elsewhere too, over and over.. who told you it's a matter of quality? Who told you it's even a matter of concentration, and/or developer ability to 'time' the narrating out so that the words don't feel rushed or vice versa..?..

We used to read you fuckheads. Read because we were in charge; of putting a voice to a character, of imagining his dialect, his inflection, his diction and most of all, how all of it combined portrayed him. Made him someone.. tangible if you will. We did that with our head, on our own and it was half the fucking joy.
I know that even here most of you are children, but that is still no excuse. Idiocy is idiocy. Think first.

So TLDR, -for- you children reading (and sadly) posting here, no. It is neither about the quality, nor the implementation (timing, avoiding the PoE VO effect, etc). It is about loss, it is about being spoonfed, it is mostly about being disallowed to use your own head.
edit: And because with retards you need examples, well.. say Lord of the Rings, most of you read that right? Did you or did you not, decades later, when the movie came out, found yourselves disappointed at 'x' and 'y' a scene, thinking, "man, i portrayed him/her so so different, wtf are they thinking?" You'd had the liberty to imagine. It was taken away from you. Would have been too if you never had the option, and books came with VO in advance. You get?

Fumny that your TL;DR was longer than the rest of your post :parrot:

Last edited by a moderator:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
VO decline, and no bikini armour on the Russian booth girls. Larian putting bro status in jeopardy

CtxCokBW8AAt6_7.jpg:large

who is this

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom