Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SWAT 4: one of those non-generic FPSs that deserves a sequel

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
uh guys, Sierra is now making...
http://www.ghostbustersgame.com/us/index.html

I shit you not.
200711ghostgame.jpg

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
If I'm not mistaken the story is written by Harold Ramis and Dan Akroyd and it'll be supposed to be the third official episode in the serie.

RK47

Patron
I've heard about that but the concept art is making me cautiously optimistic. I don't like the 'Ghostbuster: Serious Business' vibes i'm getting from their 'assault-rifle-ish' proton blasters and the muscle-car Ecto-1 Revamp.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
That concept art looks too serious for what is supposed to be a comedy movie.

MetalCraze

Arcane
yes - they look too much "space marines vs aliens" style
also - what's that on those guys? an armor? how the fuck do you stop ghosts with an armor?

Nael

Arcane
skyway said:
also - what's that on those guys? an armor? how the fuck do you stop ghosts with an armor?

Maybe you have to go up against another rival ghost busting business or the military got into the game. That would be an obvious progression if the game is to essentially be the "third movie". If I was the military, or some secretive government lab goon I sure as shit would love to get my hands on a backpack sized particle accelerator.

100% speculation though.

EDIT: That one guy looks suspiciously like Bill Murray though. :?

MetalCraze

Arcane
he is Bill Murray
I just hope they will get the real actors to do the VO. otherwise this game won't worth a bit.

also can't you see that it's the same old ghostbusters like in the movies? Bill Murray, two of his sidekicks and a nameless nigger-nobody-cares-about-and-in-each-movie-he's-played-by-a-new-actor

Nael

Arcane
skyway said:
he is Bill Murray
I just hope they will get the real actors to do the VO. otherwise this game won't worth a bit.

also can't you see that it's the same old ghostbusters like in the movies? Bill Murray, two of his sidekicks and a nameless nigger-nobody-cares-about-and-in-each-movie-he's-played-by-a-new-actor

Well we do know that Akroyd and Ramis are writing the story and the script as well for the game. We also know that Akroyd is doing VO and motion capture work for his character, and Ramis probably will too, but he hasn't confirmed it unlike Akroyd.

As for Bill Murray all you really need for VO work is to find a 40 something smartass from Chicago and you have Bill Murray.

Stan Winston was the token black guy, so just find a token black voiceover actor. We all know that Ghostbusters is a euphemism for Spookbusters.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Nael said:
As for Bill Murray all you really need for VO work is to find a 40 something smartass from Chicago and you have Bill Murray.
:D

Stan Winston was the token black guy, so just find a token black voiceover actor. We all know that Ghostbusters is a euphemism for Spookbusters.
yep - you also won't have to pay him much as it will be like 3 lines of text at max

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Back on the topic of SWAT4: Google turns up this for the SSF Realism Mod v3.2, but the download link is broken. I'd be grateful if someone could provide a mirror for it.

RK47

Patron
im not sure how much more realistic u want this game to get, I'm pretty much a P90 user after the SS expansion. 50 bullets of justice ftw.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Can't find the 3.2 mod either. All downloads seem to be rather dead. I did however find a patch that updates 3.1 to 3.2. Haven't tried it out yet as I'm busy downloading it. However there also seems to be another mod out that a lot of people seem to like. It's called Code 11 and seems to have a rather good AI. So far I'm liking it a lot. Opinion's anyone on which of the two is the best?

Code 11 Authentic SWAT Mod 1.12 b
Just get it here.

http://www.10-david.com/?p=files_item&id=1990&selg=3

SSF Realism Mod 3.2
Here you can find the 3.1 mod. The david 10 mirror seems to work.

http://www.10-david.com/?p=files_item&id=2095

And here is a forum in which the patch is posted. It's the last post.

http://forums.thetgc.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3394&p=30768&hilit=realism+mod+3.2

Nael

Arcane
Trash said:
Can't find the 3.2 mod either. All downloads seem to be rather dead. I did however find a patch that updates 3.1 to 3.2. Haven't tried it out yet as I'm busy downloading it. However there also seems to be another mod out that a lot of people seem to like. It's called Code 11 and seems to have a rather good AI. So far I'm liking it a lot. Opinion's anyone on which of the two is the best?

Code 11 Authentic SWAT Mod 1.12 b
Just get it here.

http://www.10-david.com/?p=files_item&id=1990&selg=3

Code:
Changes v1.12:
- added additional time before the AI will shoot after they raised the gun

That was one of my main issues with SWAT 4 mods that made the AI more difficult. I have no problems with making the suspects "smarter", but one thing in the game that really irked me were suspects that you would totally surprise, but they would snap their guns on your team almost instantaneously if they were so inclined, and fire off an accurate shot *instantly*. Even if they had their backs turned to you! It really detracted from realism. I don't care how pissed off a suspect is in a raid type situation, but unless they're fucking Neo from the Matrix they'll need to level their weapon and actually aim before making an accurate shot on your position.

I'll check this mod out. Thanks for the link.

Nael

Arcane
I would say about 75% of the problem though that I mentioned had to do with animation problems. For instance, I found that if I tweaked the AI in the .ini files to be more inclined to run at first contact that at least if they were in a dead run, the animation would give you a modicum of time (about 1/2 a second) to determine if they were aiming their weapon your way. Whereas if they are static in a room there really wasn't an animation for the leveling and aiming of their weapon. It was just an instant snap-to target.

Woohoo

Novice
Nael said:
I don't care how pissed off a suspect is in a raid type situation, but unless they're fucking Neo from the Matrix they'll need to level their weapon and actually aim before making an accurate shot on your position.

That's what made me uninstall the demo and avoid the game like the plague. There are people who can quickly and accurately shoot a close target the way enemies in SWAT 4 can... but they are usually shooting IPSC matches, not holding up banks. It sucks that you can't just shoot them all but they can hit you instantly, before you've really had time to do anything. (Non-lethal, pfft. If they wanted me to play nice, they should have stuck up Congress or some other worthy target)

Loved SWAT 3 through. I actually had to think very carefully about what I was doing, though I often ended up restarting a level several times.

Redeye

Arcane
skyway said:

I don't see armor. I see load-bearing pads to help against chafing caused by carrying heavy equipment/crawling around/etc.

The guy with the NVG seems to have 4 ghost traps in pouches hung over his front torso.

A little armor or at least helmets would be a good idea vs getting psychokinetically knocked around/ stumbling around in the dark in places the ghosts have drained or shorted the electricity.

Also vs friendly fire.

"Don't cross the streams!"

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Well, both mods have their up and downsides. But frankly, the negative points are just two big for me.

Code 11 has more weapons and enhances the ai a bit. Or just tweaks the speed with which it reacts, or something. I didn't see any new or more interesting behaviour in the game, though suspects didn't seem too shoot as fast as before. It offers a number of questionable design decisions like the removal of some of the fun bits like ambient music and rag doll physics. Aggressive arrests that don't work and some annoying stuttering when entering doors made me uninstall it. It's also not working in the expansion, though swat 4 plays ok with it. The mod just felt too bland for me and looked like it was tailored exactly and only to the taste of the mod maker. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not for me.

The realism mod seems to aim a lot higher. But I've yet to try it out. Why? Because they decided it was a good idea to put a lot of custom (and increcibly difficult) missions at the start of the career mode. For a mod that has both the original swat 4 missions, the expansion missions, some remades from swat 3 and a number of custom build ones. It just boggles me that they decide to start the campaign with the most difficult stuff. If anybody knows how to tweak the campaign, let me know.

So I'm first off to play through the vanilla game and expansion. Having a blast to be honest.

Suchy

Arcane
RK47 said:
well fuck looks like there's no tactical shooter like it. So I'll settle for next best thing: Is there any co-op shooter game that doesn't involve playing in a 16 v 16 environment?

Operation Flashpoint or Armed Assault. Games are good and there are loads of coop missions for download.

System Shock 2 + multiplayer patch + graphics update.

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Trash said:
If anybody knows how to tweak the campaign, let me know.

You could just tweak the INI files for that, I think. They're plain text, if you sort them by date you'll easily spot the one that contains your progress through the campaign for each of the profile (SPMissionsAvailable, or something).
I haven't actually tried that myself, though, so no guarantees. (Found it when trudging through INI files trying to un-localize the game)

Trash said:
So I'm first off to play through the vanilla game and expansion. Having a blast to be honest.

I was planning to do that myself, too, so I'll have a better idea of what's actually affected by the mods. And on that note, thanks for the links!

And yeah, the game is great, especially when played in co-op.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Yeah, I allready found the ini files. Including one with descriptions of the missions and one where the progress is saved. Can't find the one that actually determines the order of the missions though. Tried the realism mod as well. Perhaps it were the custom maps (lets just put hostages and suspects in every room is not a cool and atmospheric map) but it wasn't that fun. Hostages surrendered immediately, so no tazering of difficult citizens and most suspects got shot in miliseconds by my teammates.

Liking the vanilla game a lot though.

Dmitron

Arbiter
Trash said:
The realism mod seems to aim a lot higher. But I've yet to try it out. Why? Because they decided it was a good idea to put a lot of custom (and increcibly difficult) missions at the start of the career mode. For a mod that has both the original swat 4 missions, the expansion missions, some remades from swat 3 and a number of custom build ones. It just boggles me that they decide to start the campaign with the most difficult stuff. If anybody knows how to tweak the campaign, let me know.

:roll: Why not just use the quick mission creator to customise the missions and play them in any order?
As I recall (could be wrong about this, haven't played in a while), there was an option that allowed for custom campaign creation right from the main menu..
No reason to play without SSF.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Why not just use the quick mission creator to customise the missions and play them in any order?

Because then you miss out a lot of the flavor from the original campaigns. The little comments by people, the news bits on radio, etc. I tend to like stuff like that.

As I recall (could be wrong about this, haven't played in a while), there was an option that allowed for custom campaign creation right from the main menu..

Didn't see it. You can play the campaign, do some multiplayer or start a custom mission.

No reason to play without SSF.

Well, except those mentioned above. That and the custom maps they start with do kinda suck. Other than that the changes are kinda neat, though it really didn't seem to matter that much gameplay wise. Allthough using a SAW heavy machinegun as my main weapon for my entire SWAT team was good for a laugh.

Anyway, played through both the game and the expansion. The concept is fun and quite a few missions are well made. I enjoyed the game as a whole, but there were some things that really annoyed me. These had mostly to do with design and ai. If you for instance enter a club where there has been a shootout and you have to hunt down the armed suspects where do you expect them to hide? Surely not at the police cordon outside. I understand suspects trying to get away, but in most missions I would find them near my own swat truck or in an alley. It kinda detracted from the simulation feel. Still, all in all it was fun to play a shooter where my primary goal isn't to butcher my way through a level.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom