Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SureAI's new project: Enderal - The Shards of Order (Mostly about Enderal SE now)

skyst

Augur
Definitely getting the Risen vibe.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Been playing since yesterday, at first I was planning to build my character something like a Dothraki screamer or a typical redguard duelist (no magic, light armor, dual wield etc. ) but ended up discarding the idea since magic in Enderal seems too interesting to overlook and now I'm investing over heavy armor, two handed and some magical tree that I'm still undecided which to take (the devs claim that by just leveling up you'll get enough to fill up 3 skill trees).

Anyway, the dialogues are fairly good so far, not a ton of options to choose but enough to satisfy some points of view and the questions your character make are kind of valid. Enderal's landsize is immense, I can't manage to grasp how many dungeons are out there, scattered around this seamless world. Good thing every region is set by a level range, It may make exploration risky and rewarding (given you are weaker or just get even when compared to the strength of local hostile npcs) instead of the ludicrous level scaling model that only makes the overall exploration experience a pointless hiking trip.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Quick impressions from an hour of playing:
Intro area looked good, but the intro itself? :hmmm:
SureAI seems to have a preference for mages, making the player some sort of special dude who can into magic, at least in Nehrim and this. Most wouldn't mind but I hate mages and magic classes.
Voice acting's alright, better than Skrim.
And where the fuck do I find a two hander, even a shitty one.
Runs okay, more laggy than Skrim though.

Blackmill

Scholar
Can any one say if the performance improves after the starting area? Even on "very low" it has terrible lag. I'm thinking maybe there's a bunch of stuff going on at the start to cause this. But I don't want to continue since I won't enjoy it with the lag. For what it's worth my laptop can smoothly run Skyrim with quite a few mods and graphical enhancements on medium graphics I think. It also runs New Vegas just fine.

Edit: A reddit thread suggests that it is just the starting area. Do I risk missing anything important if I just go straight to whatever the exit point is?

Last edited:

Zerth

Arbiter
And where the fuck do I find a two hander, even a shitty one.
Runs okay, more laggy than Skrim though.

You'll sooner or later going to stumble upon a plentiful gang of bandits/highwaymen, some of them wield two hander. I also found a enchanted fire claymore in a bandit camp nearby while looking for a diary underwater for a main questline.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I give up.
No matter what I do, that stupid intro video just won't play properly.
I get a black screen, badly stuttering sound, and a completely unresponsive TESV.exe until the intro is done playing.

And this is vanilla skyrim, with no extras other than what enderal itself installs.

The intro video in question is the one that starts at around 7:15 if the timestamp marker doesn't work.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I'm surprised that I'm getting such great performance, considering everyone else saying they aren't. I play with almost everything maxed out with 60FPS on a HD7850. Maybe it runs well on old cards like mine and just doesn't like newer cards? I've even got grass distance maxed out which a lot of people say tanks their FPS.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I give up.
I get a black screen, badly stuttering sound, and a completely unresponsive TESV.exe until the intro is done playing.

And this is vanilla skyrim, with no extras other than what enderal itself installs.

The intro video in question is the one that starts at around 7:15 if the timestamp marker doesn't work.

Maybe your old ini files in Documents are messing up something. Try deleting everything there and start normal Bethesda launcher to create new ini files then start Enderal.

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I give up.

Try going into the Enderal Launcher -> Settings and disabling the "OneTweak" option.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It didn't work for me, but when I was playing with the options it was the fullscreen that got me. I was forcing the game to borderless with third party software, needs to be fullscreen unfortunately.

Can any one say if the performance improves after the starting area? Even on "very low" it has terrible lag. I'm thinking maybe there's a bunch of stuff going on at the start to cause this. But I don't want to continue since I won't enjoy it with the lag. For what it's worth my laptop can smoothly run Skyrim with quite a few mods and graphical enhancements on medium graphics I think. It also runs New Vegas just fine.

Edit: A reddit thread suggests that it is just the starting area. Do I risk missing anything important if I just go straight to whatever the exit point is?

The first area by the sea shore has both a lot of custom grass and a very expensive custom texture for the waves hitting the shore which impacts performance. That's why they say first area, but skipping the first area isn't really advised because there's a fair bit of good content in there, and armor sets. You need every drop of XP you can get early on because the power jump from ** to *** areas is pretty large.

Turn down your water options and try not to look at the ocean IMO, that's where I get my frame drops, but it might just be the case that your laptop is the weakest link.

LizardWizard

Cipher
If you're using a 144hz monitor try capping your fps at 100 (or 60 to be safe). Was getting insane amount water flicker and crashes before I did this.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
I never liked Skyrim and I've given it a bunch of tries with different mods. I like this game though. The only thing I dislike is the buying skill books to skill up and how the trees group skill types together (like lockpicking and archery, shield and heavy armor, etc). But all in all I really like it. I really hate how every twitch game is now a harvesting simulator so I checked to see if there was a mod that auto harvests for you, and there is, and it is called auto harvest.

I like the combat difficulty, I like the graphics, I like the quests, I like the anti-healing thing, everything. This is a very well thought out and executed game that is much better than the original Skyrim in every way. I really like how I don't have to worry about crafting being a separate advancement than combat skills. Lastly, one of the things that gets me about Bethesda games is the overload - just no focus. I like gated content so I know I should be where I am supposed to be. A completely open world that levels with you isn't appealing. This game has a ton of content so far, and I don't feel the overload causing loss in desire to play that I get in a lot of fully open world games.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I never liked Skyrim and I've given it a bunch of tries with different mods. I like this game though. The only thing I dislike is the buying skill books to skill up and how the trees group skill types together (like lockpicking and archery, shield and heavy armor, etc). But all in all I really like it. I really hate how every twitch game is now a harvesting simulator so I checked to see if there was a mod that auto harvests for you, and there is, and it is called auto harvest.

I like the combat difficulty, I like the graphics, I like the quests, I like the anti-healing thing, everything. This is a very well thought out and executed game that is much better than the original Skyrim in every way. I really like how I don't have to worry about crafting being a separate advancement than combat skills. Lastly, one of the things that gets me about Bethesda games is the overload - just no focus. I like gated content so I know I should be where I am supposed to be. A completely open world that levels with you isn't appealing. This game has a ton of content so far, and I don't feel the overload causing loss in desire to play that I get in a lot of fully open world games.
:bro:

Aside from it being buggy, which is no problem whatsoever given that this mod was just released, Enderal is everything that Bethesda's Creation Engine can be.

I've put about 5 hours in, and the environments are varied, packed with content, and the atmosphere is the best I've experienced since playing Risen back in 2009.

Large parts of Enderal remind me of Risen too, for instance, wildly varying landscape that features insane differences in altitude, an excellent capital city with towering buildings, and dangerous wilderness with 1-shot-kill enemies.

The tavern in Ark sort of reminded me of some of the taverns in Baldur's Gate 2.

My only complaints so far is the combat which is identical to Skyrim and voice-acting which is better than Skyrim but not by much.

Zerth

Arbiter
I like the pace of story's events on enderal so far. It's so unlike skyrim, where many parts of the main (and guild quests too) storyline felt like an excuse to rush all the "awesome" moments that eventually fall off due to lack of consistency. The skill advancement by purchasing books reminds me of Gothic, I'm neutral towards this kind of skill development system, but at least its limitations (finite amount of book stocks for vendors ) make it a bit less exploitable than leveling abilities by spamming actions on TES series. Also, It gives purpose to explore every inch of the world in order to get strong.

By the way, the difficulty works the same way as skyrim?.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Eh fellas, anyone know where the forge's at? I'm at Ark and can't find a spot to make me some swords.

Also, the city design in Ark reminds me a lot of the main city in Nehrim.

Mortmal

Arcane
I'm surprised that I'm getting such great performance, considering everyone else saying they aren't. I play with almost everything maxed out with 60FPS on a HD7850. Maybe it runs well on old cards like mine and just doesn't like newer cards? I've even got grass distance maxed out which a lot of people say tanks their FPS.

Have a radeon 380 ,an old i5 and i also have great performance at ultra , thats quite odd . Yesterday crispy who has two 970 in sli had horrible performance, his setup is clearly more powerful than mine. I guess part of it could be explained by his lack of experience with pc hardware.Sometimes i wonder if those guys PC are not running on integrated motherboard video card and ignoring the best one.

Really good mod, they cut of the mainstreaming, you have to read stuff to complete some quests, hand made environements... Really it puts Bethesda to shame . Who would pay for their paid extensiosn and horse armor DLCs , whent hose guys provide so much more for free.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Playing this, impressions:

Your character has a serious problem of teleporting, let's say he almost die like three times on a row and wake up on the strangest of the places right in the intro. Things are go way too fast on the intro, SureAI had a ton of ideas and couldn't choose what was the best so they did all in and the result is... pretty crazy on the very confusing way.
One big improvement over Skyrim, bandits have an improved Ai, well, sometimes they act like their dumb Skyrim cousins getting stuck on fences and all that but when I tried shooting arrows from above rocks, they did try getting around and when they couldn't, the melee human enemies frequently have backup bows they pull out to shoot you.
Spamming the left mouse button won't get you anywhere unless on really shitty enemies, even basic bandits block common attacks alot, only way to break their guard is by attacking them by the sides, wait for them to attack and become vulnerable or through power attacks so investing on stamina seems like a useful thing now.
Two handed weapon melee enemies seem to attack slower than skyrim's metanphetamin maniacs and they have a short delay between attacks, so if you are fast enough, you can avoid their attacks but they have a huge reach so that isn't exactly 100% safe. They love spamming their charge attack much more than Skyrim and is hard to get away from them unless they get stuck on something, kiting specially on small spaces is hard.
You gain very little XP for killing enemies, I'm at level 2 and it would be necessary to kill 20 bandits to reach the next level, leveling up is way slower than Skyrim.
There is a system called magic fever, drink potions? Magic fever. Use spells? Magic fever. Magic fever gets up, you start getting debuffs, reach 100% and you are dead. A potion called Ambrosia reduces the percentage of magic fever, don't know yet if it is a potion easy to get but it seems this isn't a Skyrim where you could fart magic even being a warrior.
With the exception of the confusing start, the writing is pretty solid, ddn't find anything extraordinary but no face palming so far.
Game has a clear european vibe, no excessive grimdark edgyness, very low key world, no excessive epicness so far, walking around on green fields with a sort of melancolic piano music on the background is very different from the "LOOK AT ME! I'M EPIC!" that Skyrim did, it has a slower pace.

Major thing I didn't like is how many enemies have massive health pools or your damage is pitiful at the Master difficulty, I had to hit a wolf 10 times to kill it with an iron mace.

Last edited:

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Skyrim combat makes this unplayable :roll:

is there any way to fix unresponsive mouse clicks? i can't spam light attacks for some reason

Last edited:

the_1990

Educated
I kind of feel this vindicates the case I made for the benefits of games providing mod-support on these forums a while back. It's not just about "unofficial patches" or improving game-play here and there, it's about passionate players creating quality content which other players can enjoy for free. In this case anyone who bought Skyrim now has access to what is effectively a free game. This is why no game can not benefit from mod support, giving people quality content for free.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Been playing this on and off for the last few days, despite the huge effort put into the world design and hand crafted feel, the Skyrim combat ruins everything... It's fucking unplayable.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Yeah, Skyrim combat is why I'm not spending as much time as I want to with it either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom