Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SureAI's new project: Enderal - The Shards of Order (Mostly about Enderal SE now)

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Heh, this thing's finally coming out. I'm gonna have to get me a copy of Skyrim again, it looks like. Nehrim had its shortfalls but was great at the hiking sim bit, and cities actually looked like cities.

Doktor Best

Arcane
But in all seriousness the comment section of the trailer is jam packed with entitled shits. "Well yeah it was developed in Germany by Germans but couldn't it have been in English first?"

I'm from the US and I still want all of them to die in a fire.

Well just go outside and light up random people. Chances are high most of them are like those you want to die.

Endereal: Storyline is another take on the "religion is bad hmkay" schlick they already did in Nehrim i take it? Oh boy, it almost never gets old.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Endereal: Storyline is another take on the "religion is bad hmkay" schlick they already did in Nehrim i take it? Oh boy, it almost never gets old.

This part of the trailer sounded like a red flag to me. Also the whole trailer was kinda convoluted, as if it is aimed at people who followed the development and not new players.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You had some choice in whether to let the gods be or not though. Shitty, nigh-cosmetic choice, but it was there.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I played for a bit now. Some quick observations:
  • Enderal uses its own XP-based character system, no more learning by doing
  • (melee) combat is very similar to vanilla Skyrim with a few bells and whistles added (might change later once you have levelled up a bit, there's quite a big skill tree, see screenshots)
  • performance is a good deal worse, it looks better though
  • lots of new weapons and armor
  • no level scaling
  • Nazi VO is better than English Skyrim VO
  • seems solid on the technical side, installation went without a hitch, no bugs or crashes so far
  • not all mods work with Endreal of course, SkyUI is integrated so the UI is useable without further fidgeting
  • can't say much about quests/the story yet, Nehrim has been mentioned a few times already but I haven't played it
Character menu

JGSv6qO.jpg

Warrior skill tree

gmtkCvN.jpg

World map

LPQlRo4.jpg

j56E6Zv.jpg

WUSSaRq.jpg

s3GqgJP.jpg

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Played this for a bit now, too.

First impression: it's about on par with Nehrim from what I've seen till now, depending on the dungeon design I might judge it either better or slightly worse. Just went through my first real dungeon, and have done some coastal exploration before that, and I'm loving it. The explorefag factor is definitely there.

- Seconding Anthedon about the performance, I get sudden spikes of stuttering in the wilderness occasionally, especially in grassland with lots of vegetation. It went better when I set grass and light distance lower, but it still happens
- I love how the game gives you shitloads of reasons to explore every nook and cranny, go through every dungeon, talk to every NPC:
* there are "wisdom" dialogue options that are basically questions about the game world's lore, you get XP for asking NPCs these questions (so be sure to exhaust the dialogue trees before finishing a conversation)
* you get XP for discovered locations
* there are "magic symbols" strewn around dungeons, usually in semi-hidden areas but still easy enough to find, there are 100 of those and finding them gives you XP
* there are, just as in Nehrim, plants that give you permanent boosts, like a mushroom that gives you a permanent carry weight bonus
* there are set items, which makes finding magical items even more fun ("fuck yeah, another item that belongs to this set!")
- Dungeon design is solid so far, not the straight line/loop shit of Skyrim
- There are boss enemies, and of course it's not a level scaled game, just like in Nehrim you can walk into an area that is too hard for you and get your ass stomped
- The beginning is too slow for my taste, lots of cutscenes and story setup shit before you get to the actual explorefag gameplay stuff. Getting to the first town is great though, it's a little way off from where you start and on the way you'll come across dungeons and shipwrecks and all kinds of shit
- There is no fast travel, just like in Nehrim. There are, however, teleport spells and scrolls and shit like that. Just found a "Teleport to [Cityname]" scroll in the first dungeon I explored.

Shit's good. I'm loving it. I'm exploring the area and finding dungeons and going in there and killing boss monsters and finding unique set items and generally having a blast. Exploration is just great in this game.

Oh, and it has an interesting mechanic: everything magical gives you some percentage points of magical contamination. It kinda works like radiation in Fallout 3, you go to a place with a strong magic source, you can get contaminated, you drink magic potions you get it too, and letting it get too high will give you mali. This adds to resource conservation: you don't wanna chug potions all the time and instead opt for eating food between fights in order to heal up.

Deleted member 7219

Played this for a bit now, too.

First impression: it's about on par with Nehrim from what I've seen till now, depending on the dungeon design I might judge it either better or slightly worse. Just went through my first real dungeon, and have done some coastal exploration before that, and I'm loving it. The explorefag factor is definitely there.

- Seconding Anthedon about the performance, I get sudden spikes of stuttering in the wilderness occasionally, especially in grassland with lots of vegetation. It went better when I set grass and light distance lower, but it still happens
- I love how the game gives you shitloads of reasons to explore every nook and cranny, go through every dungeon, talk to every NPC:
* there are "wisdom" dialogue options that are basically questions about the game world's lore, you get XP for asking NPCs these questions (so be sure to exhaust the dialogue trees before finishing a conversation)
* you get XP for discovered locations
* there are "magic symbols" strewn around dungeons, usually in semi-hidden areas but still easy enough to find, there are 100 of those and finding them gives you XP
* there are, just as in Nehrim, plants that give you permanent boosts, like a mushroom that gives you a permanent carry weight bonus
* there are set items, which makes finding magical items even more fun ("fuck yeah, another item that belongs to this set!")
- Dungeon design is solid so far, not the straight line/loop shit of Skyrim
- There are boss enemies, and of course it's not a level scaled game, just like in Nehrim you can walk into an area that is too hard for you and get your ass stomped
- The beginning is too slow for my taste, lots of cutscenes and story setup shit before you get to the actual explorefag gameplay stuff. Getting to the first town is great though, it's a little way off from where you start and on the way you'll come across dungeons and shipwrecks and all kinds of shit
- There is no fast travel, just like in Nehrim. There are, however, teleport spells and scrolls and shit like that. Just found a "Teleport to [Cityname]" scroll in the first dungeon I explored.

Shit's good. I'm loving it. I'm exploring the area and finding dungeons and going in there and killing boss monsters and finding unique set items and generally having a blast. Exploration is just great in this game.

Oh, and it has an interesting mechanic: everything magical gives you some percentage points of magical contamination. It kinda works like radiation in Fallout 3, you go to a place with a strong magic source, you can get contaminated, you drink magic potions you get it too, and letting it get too high will give you mali. This adds to resource conservation: you don't wanna chug potions all the time and instead opt for eating food between fights in order to heal up.

Sounds a lot like Gothic then. I'm interested in this. I just hope I can get the fucking thing to work, the problem I had with Nehrim is that I was able to install it and play it for an hour or so, but when I tried to install it again to give it a proper playthrough it never worked, and it hasn't worked any time I have tried it since.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
From what I read, yeah it does.

And honestly, it was worth the money I spent on Skyrim. I just wish that cash would've gone to SureAI rather than Bethesda.

tet666

Augur
So does this require a legit Skyrim installed like Requiem does these days or what?

nope.
(The Launcher does seem to check if steam is running from time to time though and refuses to start if it isn't but obviously it can't check if you own Skyrim)

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
So, this game has Skyrim's usual location markers that point you to points of interest like farms, villages, ruins, dungeons etc.
But right now I just discovered a bear cave containing one of these XP-granting magic symbols that wasn't marked at all, and was a little way off from a marked point of interest.
This just gave me an explorefag boner. Randomly exploring the wilderness and finding shit that isn't marked in any way on any map is so much fun. As an explorefag-game, this thing does so many things right.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
As an explorefag-game, this thing does so many things right.
Think the explorefaggotry improved compared to Nehrim? 'cause that was rather decent in that regard.

It's pretty much on the same level as it was in Nehrim, I would say, though it's been years since I played Nehrim.
Haven't been through too many dungeons yet but their quality is good. No linear "every dungeon is a straight looping line" kind of design like vanilla Skyrim.

Cromwell

Arcane
JarlFrank

for anyone playing this, is there a way to disable the ugliness that is lensflare and bloom (or whatever it is that makes my eyes hurt)? They state that fiddling with some enbs will break the game, is there a way to still adjust the graphics effects?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
JarlFrank

for anyone playing this, is there a way to disable the ugliness that is lensflare and bloom (or whatever it is that makes my eyes hurt)? They state that fiddling with some enbs will break the game, is there a way to still adjust the graphics effects?

You probably have to play around with the ini, just like you have to with vanilla Skyrim. The only things you can change in the launcher options are anti-aliasing, quality of models textures and shadows, and view distance of objects, grass, characters etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom