Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Incline Superman/Batman, Flash and a Justice League Movie

Discussion in 'Codex Public Library' started by Grimlorn, Jul 21, 2013.

1. I'm With Her Vaarna_Aarne for prison Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    Parrots:
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Click here and disable ads!
    Exactly, I feel it's just a natural fit in live action to have a black actor play Martian Manhunter. Also quick google search shows it's CGI with the guy having the suit and appearing on set, just with those little mocap pads on his face. Kinda lame, since the image search makes it look like it'd be totally doable as makeup. I guess nowadays it's just seen as inconvenient and actors just can't tolerate the kind of things Michael Dorn went through for over ten years or that time when Tim Curry made the best on-screen satan figure ever at the cost of hours in the bathtub every shooting day. Or in a comics movie context, how perfect Ron Perlman with makeup looks as Hellboy.

This again ties in with how I feel Captain America has easily the best superpowers for film adaptation, since his superpower is essentially to have the on-screen action star powers of Schwarzenegger, Stallone, Willis, et al combined into one being. It's precisely the fact he needs so little obvious CGI with his powers that things like when he pulls to hold a helicopter still and then pull it back in Civil War ends up feeling like a far more awe-inspiring moment than whatever CGI antics Iron Man or Hulk do in the Avengers movies. It's also why Cap's fights are just about without exception the best in the Avengers movies, since Cap's *always* the underdog in these films in terms of superpowers but because of his strength of character he can do this all day with space invader monsters, killer robots, and presumably space gods with power rings. Given also how convincing Chris Evans pulls off being a SUPERHERO in terms of Cap's character, I do hope they continue with the trend of realizing Cap is really the heart and center of the whole bigger team-up movie shenanigans Marvel is doing, he's as close to a franchise protagonist as they've got in terms of character (since Downey Jr is this mostly because of his popularity rather than character he plays).

^ Top  
  2. Make America Great Again The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Parrots:
    The current Cyborg monthly is cool.
    I agree with you. I really don't see much of the appeal in Wonder Woman. Then again I believe she has been a neutered character post-Marston. The whole psycho-sexual weirdness of part of her concept is hard to write.
    I feel Wonder Woman is kept around these days more for diversity/female representation/fame. She IS the most famous super-heroine, after all.

I did dislike that because the character he was masquerading as is not supposed to be black, he's supposed to be DC's Reed Richards.

CGI.

True dat. I really think Chris Evans is such a understimated actor - I like how Chris Evans has Steve Rogers as this fish-out-of-time who seems to be a corny whitebread guy, but sometimes you need a old-fashioned corny whitebread guy to tell people that maybe this whole "worldwide survey" thing is a bit totalitarian. Especially when you got floating air fortresses with on-call artillery from above.

Personally I always had a theory that Captain America is a DC character in Marvel.

^ Top  
  3. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
    Uh, no, J'onn J;onzz masquerades (masqueraded) as the beat detective John Jones in the comics.

Does this guy look like Reed Richards to you?

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  4. Make America Great Again The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Parrots:
    I was talking about the series not comics.

Show Spoiler
    Hank Henshaw

Btw, last animated material has been having a black John Jones.

Btw I remember a blogger who was a big MM buff wondering why J'onn in his "Public" form was often drawn with african features. Coincidence?

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

^ Top  
  5. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    Parrots:
    Yeah, well there's no way Reed Richards would be head of a government law enforcement group. "Hank" (well, both, really) is director of the secret service that monitors supers.

^ Top  
  6. Azrael the cat Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Azrael the cat
    Parrots:
    Evans did an excellent job of making what was, on paper, the most boring character in Sunshine (the 'no shades of grey, all that matters is completing the mission' guy) into the scene-stealer in a film that has a pretty damn good ensemble cast.
    Show Spoiler
    Sunshine's main problem is that it needed the 'Nietzchean nihilist man-monster' guy to be jaw-dropping in performance and character. It sets up this whole action-drama where the characters all have different outlooks, but are still versions of 'we've got to save the world', and then, very late in the piece Mr 'Let it Burn' turns up. It needed to be the kind of actor who you could watch/listen to reading the phone-book, someone immediately awe-inspiring, and it didn't quite have the impact to justify such a late-stage turn in the plot. Still enjoyed it though.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    ^ Top  
  7. ArchAngel Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    Too bad they already cast Anthony Hopkins for a pointless role as Odin.

• meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Azrael the cat Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Azrael the cat
    Parrots:
    Uh....correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the guy you're referring to is a major Superman villain of near-Kryptonian strength and even greater invulnerability, even putting aside the times when he uses his mechanised/computerised parts (no, I'm not talking about Braniac. More recent than that, and he first appears in a very well-known Superman comic series) to fully transfer himself into computers, the internet, etc, and later re-emerge in a rebuilt body (Superman is stronger and overall sigificantly more powerful, but this particular villain is close to 'most indescructible non-deity character in the DC universe' (and probably beats out most of the New Gods on that score too).

I.e.
    Show Spoiler
    Hank Henshaw the 'Cyborg Superman'

BTW, that character does appear later in the series, in a prototype form, and with a different name/origin. They take an existing tv series villain, previously a human governmental agency villain, who goes rogue and starts to 'upgrade' himself over time.

Edit:
    Oooohhh....you're talking about the nu52 version. DC finally got round to getting rid of that shit, so I think we can too.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    ^ Top  
  9. Make America Great Again markec Arcane Patron

markec
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    Parrots:
    JL > A

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Make America Great Again racofer Thread Incliner

racofer
    Parrots:
    Hopefully they don't screw up Flash. It's the only character I care about.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Excidium II Arcane

Excidium II
    Parrots:
    That trailer looks like bootleg avengers. Just watch the cartoon or smth.

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  13. kris Arcane

kris
    Parrots:
    it seems they have the same disposable enemies as the Avengers.

At least the trailer didn't give away the plot this time around. Probably for the best if previous DC movies are to go by.

^ Top  
  14. Mystary! Arcane

Mystary!
    Parrots:
    The scenery looks boring as fuck. Dark generic nothingness, black cityscape, black rocks, black water.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    Parrots:
    I think the only team superhero action scene(s) was the end battle in Avengers 1, and perhaps the Civil War Avengers-vs-Avengers fight.

The cartoon JL shows/movies are way better than Snyder's universe. And that's including the shitty animated movies.

Though, funnily enough, I expected the trailer to be even more shittily dark cinematic so I was actually surprised lol.

Aquaman ain't bad in terms of the "gruff" version. Granted the true "gruff" version got to the point where he had a hook for an arm.

Gisele is such a bad casting choice as Wonder Woman. I know what you guys think of SJW feminism, but in terms of the DC universe, Amazonians are probably manlier most other human cultures. If Supes ain't around, Wonder Woman usually jumps in as leader and leads the league into the bloodthirsty mob. Batman can't do shit because it's like trying to convince a mad berserker not to fight. (I'm exaggerating just a liiiitle bit)

BTW

Show Spoiler
    Out of all the JLers, it's Wonder Woman who got caught killing someone (intentionally planned by the antagonist in order to record and show the world and fuck up the reputation of the JL).

Actually I'm only aware of one other JLer that has killed unnecessarily

• Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Make America Great Again mastroego Arcane

mastroego
    Parrots:
    Looks retarded.
    Superheroes are silly to begin with, and they appear too mismatched and even sillier when put together. The requirements in terms of suspension of disbelief get compounded.

It SORT OF worked in the Marvel Universe because of the light tone and playful approach of the movies (and even then, it's getting old).
    It certainly just looks hopelessly retarded here where they go for a "dark and gritty" tone.
    Just my 2c.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. kris Arcane

kris
    Parrots:
    i am not sure Gisele can act, but I know many who would approve of her as WW.

As of now, the name you were looking for is "Gal Gadot".

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. DJOGamer PT Learned

DJOGamer PT
    Parrots:
    Why Ciborg, isn't he a teen titans character? Why not Green Lantern or Martian Manhunter?

Superman is going to apper in the movie, surprise!

Problems with DC's Cinematic Universe:

Setting the universe way to fast to cash in before Marvel's Infinity War.

The trailers so far had already spoiled the whole movie.

Movies being directed by Snider.

^ Top  
  19. Make America Great Again Irenaeus Self-Ejected Patron Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy

Irenaeus
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Zack Snyder is one of the few competent directors in Jewlywood, with lapses of creativity. Compare the homosexual pedophile (but I repeat myself) Brian Singer or whoever directs the bureaucratic Marvel movies, who is usually a manboon or talentless fat Jew. I think only the one with the space raccoon escaped that fate.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    Parrots:
    More like Snyder is one of the incompetent directors in Jewlywood, with random flukes of creativity. Except for POV Supes punching Zod, and maybe the Batmobile scenes in the beginning of BvS, any action scene was shit. He also has no sense of fucking pacing, which was already shown in Man of Steel.

BTW, you do know that Snyder rose to fame with the super awsum 300, right? (Funnily enough this was another movie was one interesting action scene and then dull for the rest. Movie would've tanked without Gerard Butler IMO.

Just to nitpick, Brian Singer directs the non-Disney Marvel movies (basically all the X-men movies since Disney doesn't have the license to the X-men. Oh yeah, just noticed he didn't do the shitty Xmen "Last Stand").

But yeah most of the Disney Marvel movies suck outside of, say, IM1, Ant-Man, and latter half of Avengers. I have bitterness against Guardians of the Galaxy (the space raccoon one) because they didn't feature my favorite GotG character.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Make America Great Again Irenaeus Self-Ejected Patron Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy

Irenaeus
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Snyder action scenes are the only action scenes worth watching in the comic book genre.

Men of Steel was great, 300 was great, Watchmen was great.

On the other hand, Ant-Man was pure faggotry, forgettable movie. The first Iron Man was cool and the second one was good also, but fat Jews (Favreau, in this case) make poor directors.

Guardians of the Galaxy was amusing, light-hearted, silly.

In any case, I have zero faith in this new Superfriends movie. Maybe I'll be proven otherwise.

• butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. veevoir Klytus, I'm bored Patron

veevoir
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
    I salute them for one thing and one thing only.

They have in JL lineup aquaman - the lamest, gay-est, suckiest DC hero. And in attempt to fix him they cast this guy:
    [​IMG]

If that will not fix Aquaman - nothing will.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Make America Great Again Irenaeus Self-Ejected Patron Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy

Irenaeus
    Parrots:
    That dude looks like a big Mexican, mid-level boss in Final Fight or Streets or Rage:

[​IMG]

Doesn't look like this:

[​IMG]

Then again, Marvel turned Nick Fury into a nigger, so I guess anything goes in Jewlywood.

• butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Mystary! Arcane

Mystary!
    Parrots:
    He'd make a better Namor.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    Parrots:
    Lol. Sigged.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)