Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics Super Dungeon Tactics, based on the Super Dungeon Explore board game.

Posting since this finally got a release date.

A turn-based tactics dungeon crawler with some character development made by a small team called Underbite Games.
If the name or visuals don't ring any bells it is based on the Super Dungeon Explorer boardgame franchize.
Not a 1-to-1 conversion of it though. As an example the video game is centered around the single player experience
and combat in it is more deterministic.

The objective is to form a guild to combat against the forces of the BBG, The Dark Consul.
Members of said guild are chosen from a roster of 15 heroes. So no character creation. Many heroes in the board game are nods
at various video game characters, and further on characters from anime aswell.

Character development is mostly centered around the loot gathered. Armour and weapons. Here is where the difference in combat
between the board and video game comes in to play. While the video game does also feature a dice mechanic its combat is more
deterministic in the way of damage/hits caused/made as there are no dice rolls made.

Dice are used as a resource management of sort adding both active and passive bonuses and special abilities by the looks of it.
Loot is the main source of dice for the guild.

The questing mechanic appears promising and I think it is best if I leave it to the dev on their blog explain it in detail.

Should the video game prove to be even half as successful as its elder board game relative there is a good possibility if
not probability of monetazisation. Super Dungeon Explore has had many an expansion released for it and I wager Super Dungeon
Tactics won't pale in comparison if things go right.

Website

Steam

Blog

Edit 6.12. in relation to monetization. Link
Developer said: 'The game will ship complete. Expansions will either be free or worth paying an addition cost for much more content. There will not be microtransactions for characters or other small items.'

Last edited:

sser

Arcane
Developer
Looks very interesting. I've taken a shine to these dice/card games after Armello. Just have to ignore the weeaboo art style.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Repost of what I wrote in the JRPG section:

It is a tactical RPG strongly inspired by the board game Super Dungeon Explore.
It is not a 1:1 port, even though they got the rights to do so, as it focuses more on the long term campaign than its board game brother.
The character design is not very inspired.
The UI suffers from questionable design choices.
But the missions are quite varied, and have been well designed so far.
It has very little randomness too.
Character building is done exclusively through items.
I have not played enough to tell whether to tag it incline or decline, but what they are trying to do is interesting for sure.
Some more thoughts:
I know this is a tactical game, but then, no dialogue might have been better than cheesy dialogues.
The missions remain interesting and hard, though (as you have to balance fending off monsters, and getting to the objectives before being overwhelmed by reinforcements).
But no save in battle, really?
these can drag on for a while, though...
But why does it have to be paid by enduring the UI and the dialogues? :D
At least, they are skippable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom