Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Suikoden

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
It does, but it was early PS2 and Konami obviously didn't have the budget of Final Fantasy allocated to Suikoden 3. Some would argue Suikoden only really transitioned well to 3D in the last core entry.

mcfd76.jpg

I've always wanted to play one of these games, but feel like completionist OCD would never allow me to truly enjoy them. Do you need a guide to get all of the 108 characters? Is it not that big a deal to miss a few of them?

Hyperion

Arcane
Most of them involve needing 107 stars to get the 108th who is either dead, dies, or a misguided asshole turned traitor. Most of them had a few missable characters. I'd say the further in the series you went, the more obscure recruitment became. I find Suikoden V the most frustrating, and requiring of a guide compared to the others. I also find it the hardest to play to completion because it gets boring pretty quickly, heh.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Having all 108 SoD in S3 also unlocked a bonus chapter that had you play as Luc, seeing some of the events from his POV.

Indranys

Savant
Holy hell, after all this time, Luca Blight is still the best character in the entire series men.
Damn I miss him but I can't stand jrpg gameplay anymore.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I've been trying to psyche myself up to play this. I got it on PS3 hoping to play it through the Vita Crossplay feature, but that stuff is a bit too cumbersome to just boot up out of the blue. JRPG's also are incredibly hard for me to get into these days. I think my problem is I would prefer to play it on the system it originally came out on.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
I miss the series :(

2>1=5>3>4 for me. Suikoden 5 in fact borrows A LOT from 1 and 2 in terms of plot points and gameplay.

Although the game is rather easy (you can have the meteor girl equips rune that restores 1 random Rune charge when she hit an enemy, basically infinite meteor), Suikoden 5 has by far the best battle system. Basically improved version of Suikoden 1 and 2.

Although the 3D in the battle is rather simplistic it is also much better than the awkward quality in 3 and 4.

Sigh. Maybe somebody will buy the IP off Konami. Or make similar series and name it Water Margin or something instead.

Suicidal

Arcane
Suikoden 1&2 were some of the very few non-dungeon crawler JRPGs I actually liked. Now that the PS2 emulator is no longer a piece of shit, would you guys recommend playing 3,4 and 5? I see a lot of people are saying 4 sucks, so would I miss anything story-wise if I skipped it. Are the stories even connected?

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Suikoden 1&2 were some of the very few non-dungeon crawler JRPGs I actually liked. Now that the PS2 emulator is no longer a piece of shit, would you guys recommend playing 3,4 and 5? I see a lot of people are saying 4 sucks, so would I miss anything story-wise if I skipped it. Are the stories even connected?
Ted from Suikoden 1 is a party member in 4. That's all.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Suikoden V references (and even has a small section take place in) some of the places, events, and people that were in S4, though it's nothing that would make the plot incomprehensible if you weren't aware of the references. Then, of course, is Suikoden Tactics, which is a direct sequel to Suikoden 4.

As for the plots connecting in general, the mainline series of Suikoden 1 - 5 (plus the side games Tactics and the Suikogaiden series) all take place in the same universe and have pretty tight continuity with various subplots continuing into different games. Suikoden 3 is easily the most continuity heavy of the series.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Suikoden 5 was pretty good in combat, plot (although so lengthy) and characters, but they switched the battle mode to RTwP (I think? maybe just RT) and that sucked ass. Still, 2>1>5>4/3 is about right.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
There are so many OP unite attacks in 4 hitting entire enemy groups that the game becomes a joke. Thought the unite between protagonist and Kika was OP, but the Beauty Attack of Kika, Jeane and some other chick does 2,000 damage at times. But many other characters have ridiculous combos like this. A mage is not even needed safe maybe against certain boss enemies.

In previous games at least you could either use AoE unite once or either characters became unbalanced.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Love the series too, although they are so fucking easy. You can autobattle through everything.

Saw that someone made a hard mode patch for Suiko1 at least, and from the looks of it it seemed quite reasonable (ie no retardo hard). Might try it out actually. All the games in the series would benefit from it.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Started Suikoden V.

"Prince! There it is: Sol-Falena"

9-year-old looking "bodyguard" with a high-pitched squeaky voice. This is a worse first impression than the duck from 3.

Alenia should've been bodyguard.

Hyperion

Arcane
Modern JRPG's really don't like pragmatic PC's because your average teenage dipshit can't comprehend it.

Strangely though, Sgt. Joe was one of the better supporting characters in the series. Were he a human he'd probably be a popular favorite.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Started Suikoden V.

"Prince! There it is: Sol-Falena"

9-year-old looking "bodyguard" with a high-pitched squeaky voice. This is a worse first impression than the duck from 3.

Alenia should've been bodyguard.

I am amazed there are people who actually like Lyon. Not only is she a blatant waifu bait who gets it into her head she has some claim on the MC, but also that annoying walking "hint book" stating what you should be doing next that never ever shuts up about it and butts into every conversation possible. I mean, this was always in Suikoden games like how you could go back to the war room and talk to people in order to remind you what your next course of action should be in Suikoden 2, for example, but it was never in-your-face like this.

Also, story asspull I don't want to spoil.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
This is a worse first impression than the duck from 3.

I really like the ducks in 3 :(

And yeah Lyon is obvious waifu bait. She and the Prince being a packet is pretty much official in one of the ending anyway. I like her tho :desu:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
lel

if Prince insists on saving his imouto during palace attack the chibi bodyguard actually knocks him out

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Speaking of waifus, I'm surprised none of the Suikodens ever did any sort of affection system like Persona 3 - 5 or even the .hack//G.U. series did. Although I guess it'd only really work for 2 and 5 since their heroes don't really have regular True Runes and thus potentially aren't immortal, avoiding the somewhat dark ending to any relationship of the hero never aging like hinted at in S2 if you recruit McDohl with Kasumi in your party.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom