Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Sui Generis + Exanima Early Access

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've finally beaten the Axe Lady on novice arena.
5Uu76qL.jpg

I did loot her, of course, which ended up with me wearing a vest that is very accommodating in the chest area. Also, pink boots. I would have put an appropriate codex icon, but for some reason I don't see the dropdown for those.
bdPjMcl.jpg

Then I died to the arsehole with the zweihander...
hrtCHDn.jpg

Zdzisiu

Arcane
I've finally beaten the Axe Lady on novice arena.
5Uu76qL.jpg

I did loot her, of course, which ended up with me wearing a vest that is very accommodating in the chest area. Also, pink boots. I would have put an appropriate codex icon, but for some reason I don't see the dropdown for those.
bdPjMcl.jpg

Then I died to the arsehole with the zweihander...
hrtCHDn.jpg
Its funny how easy the novice arena seems when you get a lot of practice in it. I can beat it naked with the two handed sword. It is not to say that you are just noobs, only that you really get significantly better with practice, I was stuck at the zweihander dude for a long time, and even longer on his counterpart in expert arena.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It seems blocking is harder now. I mean like it require more skill. Having trouble being successful blocking with a buckler. Didn't have to much trouble with it before :salute:

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm mostly practising fighting with one-armed weapons as my second hand is busy with a torch in story mode. I wouldn't say blocking is harder, it's just that your character seems to be more sensitive to input now, so it's easier not to be where you should be and get a sledgehammer in the face instead of deflecting it.

To further educate the codexians about Exanima, take a look at what you will fight in the areana.

The Spiked Schlub is the first guy you'll have to kill. Not too aggressive, not too dangerous. If you have some armour that is. Since you don't, this guy can kill you quite easily. Unfortunately, he doesn't even have anything on him worth taking.

Billy The Hook uses a long polearm with a hooked edge. He has quite a long reach but tends to overcommit, leaving himself open. The hook has a nasty tendency to spike you through your back, so watch out. The spoils of this fight should include boots and tunic.

The Pink Fat Man is as far from being a bro, as he is from being an onion. Wielding a very annoying spiked mace, and covering his blubber with a shield, he can be quite a challenge. Fortunately, he is not very fast, so you can exploit it. His pants are better than the stuff you are wearing.

Der Ritter des Hammerzeit will come at you with a nasty mace that really looks like a sledgehammer. He is also quite well armoured, wearing a chain tunic under that fancy red waistcoat. The hammer is slow, and leaves him exposed, so make sure you dodge the attacks and use the openings. The tactic of ramming the guy to avoid the tip of the hammer, then quickly sidestepping and swiping a sword on his relatively unprotected legs seems to work quite well. Make sure you loot his armour.

The Pink Lady is not a Barbie Girl. A vicious enemy, armed with a battleaxe and a shield, she can really ruin your day. The leather vest she's wearing might not be the most manly of armours, but it shouldn't stop you from looting it.

The Stylish Two-Hander is dressed in a nice combination of black clothes and a dark green tunic. Notice how the colour of his shoes matches the colour of his belt. You would have called him a gentleman if he didn't swing a big two-handed sword at you. This guy can one-shot you, even with the armour you are wearing, so fight smart. Wait for him to do some heavy attack, like overhand, and use his wind-down to strike. Make sure you loot him properly.

The Red Fury has a temper as hot as her haircut. She is well armoured with a nice chain shirt, and protects herself with a big shield. Grieves protect her legs quite well from the front, but you still should be able to do some damage from the back. She does a kind of lunging attack from time to time, you can use that to strike at her back. Make sure you loot that sweet chain shirt and the awesome sword.

There is one more enemy after that AFAIK, but I can't defeat him yet. He wears nice clothes and wields a deadly halaberd. I will post his gear when I put him back to the mud.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Played this for a couple of hours, gotten to the end of (but not yet beaten) the Expert Arena in that time. It's been one of the most enjoyable mechanics-learning experiences I've had in a game and to the people enjoying the Novice Arena; it gets exponentially more exciting in Expert. The final fight is cruel. So don't give up! The best part's yet to come.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
You wont be able to show the gear of the last novice arena enemy as the game automatically pauses at the end of the fight and you cant do anything else than exit and start the Expert arena.

And the expert arena is even more fun, and will teach you why the two handed sword is not always the best weapon.

Also, very quickly in the expert arena you will meet a sister of the Crazy swordwoman, and she is even more of a pain in the ass.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
And I managed to kill the boss of the expert arena! It was an epic battle of two trashcans wailing at each other.

Do5FYtw.jpg

Woot! Managed to clear level 2!
f1RuPk3.jpg

Here's my map, and notes for it (really spoilerific!):
0sPq90B.png

<1,28> Bar Mace

<2,26> Clearly this once was a place... note

<2,28> Two-handed axe

<3,12> Light Plate Couters

<3,23> Wood Debris, roaming

<3,26> That Idiot note

<4,3> Sledgehammer, Roaming

<4,13> The Kingdom Beyond, Thick Leather Vest

<4,23> Machete, roaming

<5,7> Sledgehammer, roaming

<5,23> Polearm, roaming

<6,3> Cleaver

<6,20> Light Lamellar Vest

<6,23> Cleaver, roaming

<6,27> Conservers note, good armor

<7,11> Battle Axe, roaming

<8,12> Candle Holder

<9,2> Hatchet, Roaming

<9,3> Wood Debris, Roaming

<11,6> Gambesons

<11,7> Broom

<11,12> Metal Bar

<11,24> Cleaver, roaming

<12,10> Sledgehammer, roaming

<12,11> Polearm, roaming

<13,6> Armoury!

<13,7> Armoury!

<14,6> Superior Plate Greaves

<14,7> Bill

<14,14> Door blocked?

<14,17> Crutches, roaming

<16,7> Wood Debris, Roaming

<16,17> Bedpan, roaming

<16,29> I'm sitting in a tavern... note

<17,7> Battle Axe

<17,24> Cleaver, roaming

<18,8> Metal Bar

<18,26> Warhammer, Chain Leggings

<19,6> Baradiche, roaming

<20,7> Polearm

<20,8> Rule Violation Book

<22,12> Metal Bar

<22,18> Bed pan, roaming

<23,5> Two-handed Axe, roaming

<23,6> Wood Debris, roaming

<23,16> Metal Bar, roaming

<24,8> Sword, Padded Coat

<24,15> Bedpan, roaming

<24,16> Crutches, roaming

<25,8> Roaming, wood debris

<25,22> The Guardian's Wrath, The Guardian Of The Underworld, I've been avoding relations... Note, I've discovered a truly miraculous... Note

The Proctor is dead (hmm... maybe "less animated" is the proper term), level 3 is cleared. I have a shiny (more like glowing) new helmet and reasonably decent armour. I haven't felt such elation at completing part of a game since first arriving at Anor Londo!
7zNp6OL.jpg

Here's my map of Level 3 (major spoilers, including hidden door!)
pZIoaeK.png
<3,8> Candle Holder, roaming

<4,2> Note to Zuiek, Chain Shirt

<4,5> Metal Bar

<4,7> Sword, roaming

<5,2> Plate Helmet (Light Emitting)

<5,7> Cleaver

<5,18> Two-Handed Axe

<6,14> Machete, Roaming

<6,15> Sledgehammer, Roaming

<6,16> Wood Debris, roaming

<7,8> Cleaver, roaming

<7,13> Heavy Padded Coat

<7,14> Voulge

<9,18> Wood Debris, roaming

<9,21> Buckler

<12,6> Battle Axe, roaming

<12,21> Proctor

<12,23> Roaming, Hatchet

<12,31> The Portal

<14,12> Sledgehammer, roaming

<15,12> Bedpan, roaming

<16,16> Two-handed Sword, roaming

<17,6> Wood Debris, roaming

<17,12> Candle Holder, roaming

<17,13> Sword, roaming

<18,9> Crude Breastplate

<18,12> Candle Holder, roaming

<18,20> Superior Cloth Leggings

<18,22> Damaged Chain Gauntlets

<19,9> Blacksmith's hammer, roaming

<19,14> Sledgehammer, roaming

<19,20> A proctor! Note

<19,22> I am certain that Zuiek... Note

<20,20> I have found a helmet... Note

<20,21> One of my subjects... note

<22,9> Two-Handed Sword (Square Point)

<22,14> Exceptional Gambeson

Onwards to Level 4!

Died to Sir for the first time. That guy is brutal!

Mapping Level 4 is harder than previous ones - whoever built it loved curvy walls and 45deg walls. Grid Cartographer's support of that is kind of sucky.

Finally beaten the novice arena! I had to switch to two-handed sword though...
aa1De4y.jpg

Such shame that you can't view gear of the last dude.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Finally beaten the novice arena! I had to switch to two-handed sword though...
aa1De4y.jpg

Such shame that you can't view gear of the last dude.
At least you can use his weapon, its the polearm you can take at the start of expert arena.

Wow, I actually made it to final boss of expert today. Couldn't beat him, but I think I got pretty close. Will post know your enemy for expert bit later as well.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Wow, I actually made it to final boss of expert today. Couldn't beat him, but I think I got pretty close. Will post know your enemy for expert bit later as well.
See, the experience you gathered in novice is finally paying off. Also, for the last few enemies, it is a good idea to use the two handed polehammer you get from on of the armoured dudes.

Not sure about that polehammer. I have quite a good time beating Mr. & Ms. Tincan with the two-hander. The only enemies that consistently give me lots of trouble are those with two-handers. And the final boss. It's not that I can't hit him, he's just very tough.

Still haven't beaten the expert boss (though I think I got much closer now than yesterday) so no know your enemy yet. But there is another thing I would like to show off - armour. And exactly how much stuff you can wear. The gear shown below is mostly from the second-to-last opponent in the Expert Arena. The only thing from novice arena is the leather cap.

The plate layer:
AoEVjk2.jpg

Vwov6tk.jpg

Extra padding layer (no idea how to properly call it, it's the layer between mail and plate):
Ho9mC70.jpg

yDh4ThU.jpg

Mail layer:
psFQphQ.jpg

9CUM1VT.jpg

Clothing layer:
g5eYwR0.jpg

YsgwgMP.jpg

Underwear layer:
706AmGa.jpg

Unfortunately, you can't customize anything on underwear layer.

I've beat the final enemy in expert arena! Lessons learned: do not underestimate any enemy, do not hurry, do not play this game when tired and can't focus.

So, here is the know your enemy for expert arena:

MEC4B46.jpg

8ldKvkv.jpg

oFm0NtL.jpg

There dude with a two-hander on novice was green. This is red. Will we ever see a blue one?
YYt8wgo.jpg

For some reason, seeing this guy made me think of DS2.
CSFP4Kq.jpg

kClZKTy.jpg

She has better gear than her hubby, probably managed to score some sweet sales in ye olden armour shoppes. You can't really say that it's a woman in that plate (as Exanima doesn't do Boob Plate Armour), but for the screams and grunts she makes.
uaon4na.jpg

His armour is quite beautiful, and a stronger nod towards fantasy than anything seen before. Still, it looks quite ok to me.
aH2J8ef.jpg

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
So, the creator of the game is a pretty cool guy, started playing this earlier, streaming a bit for my brother to see and the guy jumped into the stream and started talking and giving me advice. Didn't actually realize it was him until someone else pointed it out.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
HE SHOULD BE PROGRAMMING OMG WASTING TIME ON SOME STREAMERS OMG

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom