Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

suggestions:teudogar3:rebbelion

Anonymous

story of the game:after the roman germania conquest and the failed alliance with rome.a reunion with the all ancient chief of clan(ex:teudogar,thoralf,radomund,ortwin,priestess,heremod ect).the rebellion start.you are one of general of heremod.your mission: defeat the roman and win the power with a small troop of 40 men.

in the game you can:

1.attack the roman and and deliver german town of the roman rule

2.meet with women and have child

3.use catapult and balistic

4.leading your troup to victory

5.make roman prisionner

sorry for my bad english am french

Wolf Mittag

Wolf Mittag Software Development
Developer
Hi QuebecGuy3003,

thank you for these suggestions!

Indeed, Teudogar is kind of set up for a trilogy - 1 = Alliance with Rome, 2 = Roman Rule, 3 = Uprising against Rome (or, as you put it, rebellion).

This 3rd part could follow regardless of whether you've concluded an alliance with the Romans, since - no matter if defeated or allied - the Romans would treat your tribe the same way colonial rulers everywhere and over all ages have treated barbarians under their rule.

Liberating a Teutonic town would definitely be part of that. Boy-meets-girl-plot plus you later have children have also been requested by several gamers, and might be fun to write. Taking Romans prisoner might also be interesting. In reality, Teutons who did this crucified their victims, or cut their throats to tell the future from the streaming blood, or cut out their tongues (this was especially done to Roman lawyers after the uprising). These examples might tell you what an intense hate many Teutons felt against the Romans by the time there finally was a Teutonic rebellion. It would be the job of Teudogar 2 to give reasons for this hate, which would result in the uprising in Teudogar 3.

This uprising may have elements of both the historical Arminius guerrilla war as well as the historical Batavian rebellion. I love the anarchic, wild, anything-goes atmosphere of that time, with numerous Roman commanders declaring themselves emperor; cowardly, mutinous Roman troops; the sleazy bon-vivant Roman-Teutonic city of Cologne; barbarians plotting great conquests only to fail with even small tactical attacks; Teutonic seers directing war operations; and so on; this was a colorful period. During that uprising, Teutons managed to capture the ship of the Roman general in a nightly raid (however, since he spent the night with a famous whore in the city of Cologne, he was absent); anyway the Teutons navigated this large ship over numerous smaller riverways all the way from the Rhine to far inland Germania, to the seer Veleda's tower, where they gave it as a gift to her, in acknowledgement of her so far eerily accurate prophecies. (Imagine Sierra-Leonian rebels capturing a U.S. aircraft carrier (whose commander is on shore with a Sierra-Leonian whore at that time), and giving this huge ship as a gift to a Sierra-Leonian witch-doctoress.) Of course since Teudogar 3 would play once again in the Cheruscan and Chattan tribal areas, there wouldn't be Cologne but smaller Roman-founded cities; and during the late Augustian age, Roman discipline was probably still somewhat better than after Nero's death. But elements of the following chaos and insubordination would already have been in place.

By the way, catapults &c wouldn't make sense in that environment; it doesn't play to your strengths. Teuton technicians were incapable of building these, even if they'd known how to, and Teuton armies were far to undisciplined to make reasonable use of such machines. Besides, there weren't many fortifications to overcome in Germania (no walled cities there). And attacking Roman legions holed up in fortified camps has always proven costly for the attackers (and would have been so even if they had ballistics); the only viable tactic are guerrilla attacks on Roman troops while these are on the move through difficult terrain.

As to the size of your force, a few dozen men are good for inter-Teutonic intrigues and coups, as well as for plotting subsequent military action against the Romans; however that action would require a real army (Roman governor Varus marched through Germania with about 20,000 men - these would be pretty hard to defeat with just 40 fellows on your side, even with catapults); so similar to Teudogar 1, part of Teudogar 3 would have to be about yet again forming an alliance, and setting up a secret guerrilla army with sufficient strength to do real damage to the Romans.

However that'd only be part of the game. I'd provide for far more direct, hands-on action in all future Teudogar games, i.e. more chances for you to actually act/fight/do/realize things, instead of just planning, scheming, and convincing others to do them for you. While that's much more difficult for me as a developer, I realize it'll also be much more fun for everyone who later plays that game. In retrospect, I think Teudogar 1 has been a bit too intellectual - too much dialogue and not enough action. I won't repeat that mistake.

Anyway, one word of caution is that I'm a bit like Richard Wagner, though not in quality, but certainly in development time (Wagner took over 20 years to finish all 4 parts of his Ring tetralogy); i.e. it's likely that some years will pass until Teudogar 3...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom