Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Suggestions for good discussions about 2D approaches

So if you are developing a 2D engine (whether isometric or top-down), it seems like most agree that tile-based is a good approach for the graphics. You can easily re-use some number of tiles to generate all kinds of terrain and other stuff. I kind of want to try it out.

However, my concern is about using tiles in the game logic itself. Seems like many people suggest using it in both places (graphics layer and game logic layer), since you can use tiles for pathfinding, collision detection and so on. But to me, seems like there would be a lot of issues with that approach as well, like for example if you use continuous movement (e.g. realistic) vs tile hopping movement (e.g. roguelikes), or your characters being smaller than tiles and that affecting collision detection and positioning. I am more used to just having a continuous coordinate grid for the logic layer with exact coordinates.

So I was wondering if you guys know of good discussions about this, the pro's and con's of these two approaches, and people going in-depth into them. Appreciate any links.

Severian Silk

You don't have to have super wide 5m tiles like in a JRPG or roguelike. If you make the tiles just a little wider than a character's shoulders, let's say 1m, it can still look realistic. E.g. Fallout, JA2.

Severian Silk

Fallout Online is real-time and uses tiles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom