Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Suggest me a good game

XMark

Novice
A few months ago I was on a turn-based strategy game kick, but after a while I kinda got bored of it. I started out with Freeciv (basically an open source version of Civilization II) but got frustrated in the endgame when I had tons of cities to micromanage. Got a bit tedious. I tried a few other strategy games afterwards and came to a conclusion: I like turn-based strategy but I really don't like how most strategy games have WAY too much emphasis on resource allocation, expansion and unit production. Personally, I think the tactical element is ruined when the only real strategy is to produce as big an army as possible and throw them all at your enemy.

Anyone know of a good strategy game that focuses more on the actual combat? Like something that just puts you into skirmishes with a limited force or something.

Astromarine

Erudite
it's a nomenclature problem. You don't want a traditional TBS, you want a wargame. I'd advise looking at reviews in http://www.wargamer.com/

For a great strategy game with "realistic" options I'd go for Europa Universalis. As for a military-only TB wargame, no idea. Check the site I gave you

Petey_the_Skid

Liturgist
Sid Meier's Gettysburg series isn't too bad...pausable RT combat, good graphics,realistic units, decent battlefield physics and absolutely no resource management. All the units are set up for you, just pick a scenario and go with it, try and complete the objectives and voila. Try and get the whole series though, the Antietam sequel really ramps up the difficulty, and also gives you HUGE battles, if you want to try running everything all at once, where as the first one has the big battle separated into events. The nice thing about the first game in the series is that if you lose a scenario in the campaign mode, it gives you a new mission, instead of having to rehash the same one over and over till you win.

edit: I know it's not turn based, but it actually feels like it is, I'm not sure what to call it, as RTS has been hijacked to mean Warcraft clones, which this game most definetly is not.

XMark

Novice
Thanks for the suggestions guys!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom