Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Subterranea Kickstarter Goes Live

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Kickstarter; Subterranea

Kickstarter for turn-based 3D fantasy RPG Subterranea, which you may know from a thread in Codex Workshop, has just gone live:

Adventure through a world rife with peril and intrigue, to solve a dangerous mystery in this fantasy, turn-based CRPG.
  • Tactical Turn-Based Combat: There is a wealth of tactical options available to each of your characters, each round. Melee attack, ranged attack, cast spell, sneak attack, attack of opportunity, bull rush, use magic item, drink potion, feint, overrun, read scroll, ready defense, total defense, use skill, use ability, etc. This wide range of tactical options requires a turn-based combat system that lets you weigh up your best move whilst the game action is paused. Enemy artificial intelligence has access to the same range of actions, and in addition will perform strategies like flanking and using cover and elevation, to attempt to get the best of you.
  • Physics-Based Emergent Gameplay: Want to cast Earthquake to bring a cave roof down? The Physics Engine calculates what happens next - who has to make Reflex saves to avoid or reduce damage and who is safe from flying debris. Physics introduces an extra element of randomness beyond just dice rolls and can lead to a series of connected events that result in entirely new outcomes in each encounter.
  • Puzzles and Traps: The world of Subterranea itself will provide a number of environmental challenges. Collapse a rope bridge to plunge some enemies to their death? You'll need to figure out how to get across that chasm now. I hope you've packed your rope.
  • Branching Dialogue with Choice and Consequence: You'll need to develop some skills in Diplomacy, Bluff and/or Intimidation to thrive when pitted against the machinations of the game's antagonists.
  • Deep Character Customization: When creating your characters, you will be able to assign ability scores, race (7 options), class (11 options), gender, appearance attributes, skills, feats and spells to produce highly customized characters.
The game features deadly intrigue, murky and conflicting agendas, a sprawling megadungeon to conquer and ultimately a mystery that lurks far beneath the surface of Vengarth Swamp!​

To learn more about the game's premise and the reasons it seeks exactly 12,500 Australian dollars, check out the Kickstarter page. You can also support Subterranea on Steam Greenlight.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Looks like NWN2 and TOEE had a baby. And by that I mean the rage-inducing 3D camera of one with the awful UI of the other

The enviromental interaction sounds interesting if it isn't just gimmicky shit.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
At this point I have to stay: fuck fantasy.
Welcome to the 1980s. If you're tired of fantasy how do you even play RPGs?

Plus most RPGs have bsb and derivative settings regardless of fantasy.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Starting on saturday?
They are lucky that is such a low sum.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
At this point I have to stay: fuck fantasy.
Welcome to the 1980s. If you're tired of fantasy how do you even play RPGs?

Plus most RPGs have bsb and derivative settings regardless of fantasy.
Sorry for hoping for something more. I was mostly reacting to Dorateen quoting the fantasy part of the pitch as a positive, but I really am getting fed up with the Standardized Fantasy Setting(TM).

I just want a sci fi RPG :(

Dorateen

Arcane
Hey, I played the Buck Rogers Gold Box games, and played table-top Star Frontiers, Gamma World back in the day. But swords & sorcery always feels like returning home.

jdinatale

Cipher
I'm not a graphics fag by any means, but why do the graphics look like Neverwinter Nights 1?

JMab

Augur
Mainly because I don't the budget (or the talent!) of developers like BioWare! The Kickstarter is all about making the game look great though...

JMab

Augur
There was some concern about the radial menu in the Workshop thread...

I've got other options on my TODO list to try, including quick cast bars, and other more recent UI approachs taken by NWN2 and MMORPGs...

I find radial menus pretty quick to operate, but you've got to listen to the people!

kentable

Scholar
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Backed. Looks interesting so far. UI is just UI as long as it's not totally ba-dunk-kaclunk. I persevere through rogue like UIs so I can handle a little clunk.

Alchemist

Arcane
I've been following the dev thread on this with great interest so I'm definitely in. I'm sure any camera or interface concerns can be sorted out during development / testing, with backer feedback. JMab has been very responsive to hearing our ideas in the workshop thread.

JMab - do you have any thoughts on who you might use for a soundtrack composer if funding succeeds? I'm thinking of bumping up to the soundtrack tier. Knowing who the composer might be helps in that decision.

Good luck with the campaign!

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
Video has vague seductive breathy voice of an English woman. BACKED!!1

:takemymoney:

Now with honesty: the game looks mildly interesting, but it relies on too generic a D&D fantasy setting. Combat looks like it could be promising if it isn't too tedious. The graphics remind me of neverwinter nights, which I like.

I'm not in yet, I'd have to hear more about the story and combat before I make up my mind.

JMab

Augur
I've been following the dev thread on this with great interest so I'm definitely in. I'm sure any camera or interface concerns can be sorted out during development / testing, with backer feedback. JMab has been very responsive to hearing our ideas in the workshop thread.

JMab - do you have any thoughts on who you might use for a soundtrack composer if funding succeeds? I'm thinking of bumping up to the soundtrack tier. Knowing who the composer might be helps in that decision.

Good luck with the campaign!

Hi Alchemist, the game composer who did the track for the teaser trailer is Matthew Pablo http://www.matthewpablo.com/

I found his track on http://www.opengameart.org and liked it enough for the trailer. I reached out to him a month or so ago, and he told me to run with it and we'll talk post-successful funding.

I've also had contact from a couple of other composers. I need to put aside some time to figure out what I'm going to do. Matthew has a leg up due to supplying the track in the teaser trailer...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom