Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Styx: Shards of Darkness - Styx: Master of Shadows sequel

Parabalus

Arcane
I got the amber dagger+stealth/kill ultimates so I took a break from ghosting - it's pretty rad to chain kill people that way, though by the time you get them almost everyone is in heavy armor.

I constantly seem to forget that I have Cloning and Invisibility at my disposal. But it's just more fun to play without soft cheat mode.

There are some scenarios in later levels which are really hard to deconstruct, if you're going for Mercy, without using clones or invis. They are both IMO weaker than the craftables.

once you steal armor and report success you are supposed to finish mission by going up few meters. Couldnt find a way to do so normally. The only path I found was to make few jumps in plain sight and there is elf always facing that direction. I could either use poison dart, invis or clone for distraction. THen I decided to play with egg. Range was too small to throw it any meaningful spot. That being said you can throw it while jumping(possibly doing so while free falling for death?) which gave me enough edge to teleport myself up

I saves myself once with the egg, with the clone tree invisibility ultimate - threw an egg just as I was about to be discovered, then ran away with the clone and later rebirthed to him.

On that part you menationed, I first threw sand at the torch, then died while climbing. Second time "Distraction item" did the charm. The game's levels are really well crafted with a bunch of options.

How do you guys deal with the giant bees? Crossbowing them down is very effective, but I feel like I'm missing something. Also, do you manage to get the gold Swiftness insignia on a first run of a mission? It seems awfully tight to me, but I'm a bit out of practice.

Heretic

Cipher
Only 11 thousand owners on Steam. What went wrong?! The first game has 460 thousand owners.
The game couldn't have flopped that hard, could it? The first part was a good stealth game, this is an improvement... Do people not appreciate this genre? Is it saturated? (Hardly) Is the game not that good? Does it have technical issues?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Only 11 thousand owners on Steam. What went wrong?! The first game has 460 thousand owners.
The game couldn't have flopped that hard, could it? The first part was a good stealth game, this is an improvement... Do people not appreciate this genre? Is it saturated? (Hardly) Is the game not that good? Does it have technical issues?

Those are sales it accumulated over time.

If Sunday passes and it doesn't match or surpass the peak players of the first one, that's a cause of concern.

Parabalus

Arcane

They didn't pay the "professionals" their cut, just look at this :

GAMESPOT said:
GameSpot awarded it 6.0 out of 10, saying "an experience that feels like it's stuck in the past.".

That should be a fucking badge of honor.

I liked it a lot and will probably get the first part when I find the time.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'd like to see a Codex review of these games if somebody is willing to write one.

Parabalus

Arcane
I'd like to see a Codex review of these games if somebody is willing to write one.

I'll do it when I finish the first part, which could take a bit, since it's apparently twice as long.

Review Preview :

Styx 2 has better character development than Tworment.

Eurotrash getting middling scores is nothing new though http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/styx-master-of-shadows

GAMESPOT 5/10 said:
In some ways Styx feels like a stealth game from an earlier era, but one that's more dated then vintage. It tries to pick up a few tricks from more modern games in the genre, but much of its core wouldn't have been out of place alongside the earlier Tenchu or Metal Gear Solid games. 5/10

You're right, the first one got barraged even harder. Frenchies don't pay enough bribe money apparently.

flyingjohn

Arcane
All those sales were probably from bundle sales.
Modern gamer's don't like stealth games that have stealth game play(which styx has in plenty).
It is the same reason a call of duty player will play witness and brag about how puzzle games are awesome(yet the witness is simplistic and almost mobile like compared to any heavyweights like myst or asa),they just want to play something labeled "hardcore and complex " not actual complex game play.
I mean every single modern stealth game play elements is there to remove actual stealth game play(tagging,wall hacks and dumb ai)
Let's just hope when the bundles and discount happen that they actually recover some sales.

Parabalus

Arcane
ive missed one optional objective

loved hunters vilage so much that Ive both put drunken cpt in his boat and gave airship back to imprisoned one. After completing I can see missed optional: spy on dwarfs. Where was that one? I was quite through or so I thought

about equipment, whats the actual bonus of going bare handed into mission?

You can

find a treasure. You have to listen to 2-3 groups of dwarves, then you get a subquest to get to the top of the lighthouse. You can also skip all that and
just take the cloak of invisibility from the well next to the airship. There is also a crouch passage in the left cliff face, when standing at the tavern entrance and viewing the ocean.

It's just for style points I guess, you lose the glowing dagger runes so that's a plus.

Parabalus

Arcane
Can you give me more directions about dwarfs groups? I think something was bugged as even some group of humans that obviously were to talk were just standing there and was forcing them to move by throwing objects.
Went to top of light house without triggering anything but there was nothing of value

also nothing in the well.

There are a bunch of them and you need to listen to 2-3 to trigger the light house. You can't break their dialogue or it won't trigger, which is easy to do since they can smell you, breaking the quest. It's this well, you can just pick it up and bypass them

flyingjohn

Arcane
Well unless the game had a pretty low budget it is a failure according to steam spy.
A jump from 12 to 13k in a day means the final owner count will probably be less then 50k.
I guess this is a perfect example of why it is impossible to make a modern stealth game with any actual stealth game play elements(no wall hacks,tags,etc),unless you include predator style stealth killings as the primary focus.
:negative:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I would have bought a copy already, except it will take me several months to download it so I might as well wait until it looks like patches are done (and if patches are done I might as well wait until it's on sale and so on). :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom