Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones, a Lovecraftian turn-based RPG, now on Kickstarter

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Cultic Games; Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones

Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones is an upcoming RPG based on H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos, developed by Turkish studio Cultic Games, that first came to the Codex's attention back in March. Although some were skeptical of the idea of engaging in turn-based combat against Lovecraftian monstrosities, Stygian's art and style were immediately popular with our users, as were the uniquely Lovecraftian classes and concepts that Cultic representative Scrawled shared with us on a regular basis. It quickly become apparent that the game was going to have a Kickstarter campaign, originally scheduled for early May but then delayed... until today. The campaign is live now and doing reasonably well. Here's the pitch video and a basic overview:

Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones
is a supernatural horror CRPG (computer role-playing game) set in the strange worlds of Howard Phillips Lovecraft. Embracing the themes of pulp and weird fiction, Stygian will draw the player into a bleak journey from a ruined Arkham to the very depths of the Abyss.

The gameplay experience promises a mix of rich role-playing and turn-based tactical combat, in a 2D environment with an original, illustrative graphic style. In Stygian, you will create your main character from scratch, with access to several archetypal backgrounds, each with its own origin story, skills, traits, and belief system, the last of which determines how your character replenishes lost sanity as well as presenting unique dialog choices.

The works of H.P. Lovecraft are elaborately woven into Stygian’s narrative. For example, you'll use the haunted violin of Erich Zann to lure a fiendish deity, and convince the wretched protagonist of 'The Outsider' to join your party. Our goal is to blend the culture and social reality of 1920s New England with cosmic horror to create a living, breathing anti-Utopia.

The burden of fighting a desperate battle with forces beyond comprehension will haunt you until the end of the game. Physical combat will be challenging, spellcasting will have dangerous consequences, and sanity strained from exposure to the abominations of the Mythos will leave characters psychologically damaged. Sometimes the best solution will be to flee from the terrors lurking in the night.

Stygian is being crafted by designers who grew up reading Lovecraft and playing Planescape: Torment, the early Fallout titles, Heroes of Might and Magic and the like. We want to create the best possible experience with your feedback. Your interest and support will be invaluable.

If you find the video overwrought, a shorter gameplay trailer and story trailer are also available. Stygian is seeking €55,000 of funding, with an estimated release date in November 2017. A basic copy of the game will cost you €15 (€12 Early Bird), with various digital and physical goodies available at higher tiers. It looks pretty cool - let's hope the funding continues to roll in.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
From some tangential experience I once had on a Kickstarter, I've come to the conclusion that this kind of goofy opening is not an effective approach. It's possible that it kinda sorta worked earlier in the Kickstarter life cycle. But basic logic would say that giving primacy to awkward game designers in an awkward sitcom scenario is not the best way to sell a game unless the game itself is worse. I already knew about this project (and I'm excited for it because of one of the team members involved), but otherwise I'd think it was like a low budget web series.

[EDIT: Incidentally, it's not like making one of those sticoms is easy. Clearly they put a lot of time and work into it. But if they cut it entirely, the video would've been much stronger.]

[EDIT2: Then again, Fargo tweeted about the game based on the video's intro, which suggests: (1) someone who knows more about marketing endorses the approach and (2) it was worth it just for Fargo's support.]

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
Looks great! I already backed. However, my feeling that real flavor should have *as little combat as possible*. This game goes beyond that.

duanth123

Arcane
I've come to the conclusion that this kind of goofy opening is not an effective approach. It's possible that it kinda sorta worked earlier in the Kickstarter life cycle. But basic logic would say that giving primacy to awkward game designers in an awkward sitcom scenario is not the best way to sell a game unless the game itself is worse.

They could do worse. And don't you ever forget.

skyst

Augur
I've come to the conclusion that this kind of goofy opening is not an effective approach. It's possible that it kinda sorta worked earlier in the Kickstarter life cycle. But basic logic would say that giving primacy to awkward game designers in an awkward sitcom scenario is not the best way to sell a game unless the game itself is worse.

They could do worse. And don't you ever forget.

I have to watch the entire piece of shit every time I see it.

Gut-wrenching douche chills.

Jinn

Arcane
So many nice kickstarters going on lately. This is another one I had to back. Looks like it's going to be awesome.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'd really like the shirt.
But I'm not going to back at such a high level.
I vote for a backing level that has the shirt, but not the book and other physical items...

Oh well, backed at 15 then :)

Prime Junta

From some tangential experience I once had on a Kickstarter, I've come to the conclusion that this kind of goofy opening is not an effective approach. It's possible that it kinda sorta worked earlier in the Kickstarter life cycle. But basic logic would say that giving primacy to awkward game designers in an awkward sitcom scenario is not the best way to sell a game unless the game itself is worse. I already knew about this project (and I'm excited for it because of one of the team members involved), but otherwise I'd think it was like a low budget web series.

[EDIT: Incidentally, it's not like making one of those sticoms is easy. Clearly they put a lot of time and work into it. But if they cut it entirely, the video would've been much stronger.]

[EDIT2: Then again, Fargo tweeted about the game based on the video's intro, which suggests: (1) someone who knows more about marketing endorses the approach and (2) it was worth it just for Fargo's support.]

If that's true it makes me sad. Extremely slick, obviously corporate kickstarters are a big turn-off for me. If a KS wants my backing, they need to tick these boxes:

* Concept that tickles my fancy (obviously)
* Passionate people who wouldn't otherwise be able to do it, if they're goofy amateurs with epic beards that's always a plus
* Some way of convincing me that they actually know enough about what they're doing that I give the project even odds of succeeding

Stygian was pretty much an insta-back for me. Although the last point wasn't actually about the KS pitch, it was the thread right here. If they had had a professionally-produced, super-slick pitch video that would've counted as a minus.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Let's wash it grow together!

That vid was seriously lulzy. Personally, I think it would be much less effective without the "sitcom" part.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I agree, I think the silliness in that video works.

Dem suit jacket sleeves tho

giphy.gif

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't really enjoy these kind of comedic videos but I think the game looks really good and interesting, so I backed this. Hope it makes it.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ok, since no one else is willing to go this low:

Lh7UIJ1.png

Nice to know, but what about skills more related to crpg design?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer

Mark my friend we disagree! The core of what makes a good crowdfunding video really hasn't changed much, two key factors being it has to grab people's attention fast and it has to feel very personal. I was helping these guys set up their Kickstarter in the last few weeks, loved the video from the moment I saw it, it's instantly attention-getting and full of personality. You can tell be responses on say Torment's facebook post people take to it. I believe Can (or someone else at the studio) has experience as a film-maker and it shows in that video, the pacing is good, the editing is good and the jokes land well. Brian obviously agreed. Of course it's not for everyone but keep in mind they don't really have to target the average Codexer, who've already been convinced by the mechanics and aesthetic of the game, the video is more to grab attention from a wider audience.

Anyway, let's hope they keep rolling. The real challenge nowadays is getting any kind of coverage, a lot of websites won't write about your crowdfunding campaign until it funded, meaning you're gonna depend on organic word of mouth. It's a pretty solid start, let's hope it keeps rolling!

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Mark my friend we disagree! The core of what makes a good crowdfunding video really hasn't changed much, two key factors being it has to grab people's attention fast and it has to feel very personal. I was helping these guys set up their Kickstarter in the last few weeks, loved the video from the moment I saw it, it's instantly attention-getting and full of personality. You can tell be responses on say Torment's facebook post people take to it. I believe Can (or someone else at the studio) has experience as a film-maker and it shows in that video, the pacing is good, the editing is good and the jokes land well. Brian obviously agreed. Of course it's not for everyone but keep in mind they don't really have to target the average Codexer, who've already been convinced by the mechanics and aesthetic of the game, the video is more to grab attention from a wider audience.

Anyway, let's hope they keep rolling. The real challenge nowadays is getting any kind of coverage, a lot of websites won't write about your crowdfunding campaign until it funded, meaning you're gonna depend on organic word of mouth. It's a pretty solid start, let's hope it keeps rolling!
You guys know a lot better than I do, so I defer to you. My own instinct is that the "guys talking" works best in the context of the game, not as a staged thing at the outset of the video. In this case, I think the back half of the video, where the guys are discussing the game interspersed with clips from it, is both personal and compelling. But, like I said, you know better. :D

Trashos

Arcane
Loved the video! It certainly shows that your heart (and your mental state) is in the right place. Good luck from Greece, neighbors.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom