Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones - a Lovecraftian Computer RPG

hell bovine

Arcane

mud

Literate
reiPsx7VGNpN_wastefulUI.png

Sounds fun. The Outsider is one of my favourite stories as well, so a companion based on the character is very interesting for me. I hope you can reconsider bloated exploration UI for a more efficient approach however.

Jinn

Arcane
Sounds fun. The Outsider is one of my favourite stories as well, so a companion based on the character is very interesting for me. I hope you can reconsider bloated exploration UI for a more efficient approach however.

I quite like the UI the way it is. It looks stylish and extremely functional. What do you want, a radial wheel?

mud

Literate

I quite like the UI the way it is. It looks stylish and extremely functional. What do you want, a radial wheel?
please don't misrepresent my comment with accusations of consolization request. I was very clear about what I want. Bloat is not functional.

Jinn

Arcane
please don't misrepresent my comment with accusations of consolization request. I was very clear about what I want. Bloat is not functional.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but what exactly do you want? I see a picture with red lines above and below the icons and a red box around the tentacles. Do they indicate what to get rid of, or that the icons belong in the box, or what?

Grathanich

Novice
The combat designer of the game is a good friend of mine (and the drummer of my former band). I can personally vouch for his knowledge of the oldschool gaming approach. When I heard they promoted the game here, I told him "even if you make the best game ever, I wouldn't really share it there because these are the type of guys who actually write multiple-page articles to prove Fallout 1 is better than Fallout 2" but it's cool to see they won you over. I'm sure we'll not be disappointed at all.

---

Arcane
The combat designer of the game is a good friend of mine (and the drummer of my former band). I can personally vouch for his knowledge of the oldschool gaming approach. When I heard they promoted the game here, I told him "even if you make the best game ever, I wouldn't really share it there because these are the type of guys who actually write multiple-page articles to prove Fallout 1 is better than Fallout 2" but it's cool to see they won you over. I'm sure we'll not be disappointed at all.
:mrpresident:

Fallout 1 is for plebs :obviously:

M0RBUS

Augur
these are the type of guys who actually write multiple-page articles to prove Fallout 1 is better than Fallout 2
But Fallout 1 is better than Fallout 2. The only reason why multiple pages are required is that some people can't understand that without reading multiple pages explaining why.

This game is , for me, the most interesting game out there. It has the potential of being original, creepy, fun, and raise up to the incline as Underrail and Age of Decadence. November of 2017 can't come sooner :D
How come this is not developed for consoles?:incline: What would InXile do? :mixedemotions:

Last edited:

---

Arcane
This game is , for me, the most interesting game out there. It has the potential of being original, creepy, fun, and raise up to the incline. November of 2017 can't come sooner :D
How come this is not developed for consoles?:incline: What would InXile do? :mixedemotions:
Fixed :cool:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Update #19

Sep 26 2016

Fresh News from the Lair of the Worm

Greetings Denizens of a Dead World!

We wanted to share some of the recent developments with you.

First of all we've moved our office inside Bahcesehir University which has the most established Game Design department in Turkey. This will speed up the process considerably from a logistic stand point. Also Cultic Games will gain access to fresh and enthusiastic internship power to achieve its ever malignant ambitions. Let's see what unholy practices will be held in this fresh burrow for the Worm.

07d91845e8c1a21f7efd44c5b389d142_original.JPG

The picture of the catacombs section is not included.
We've been at Good Game Expo in Poland. We wanted to thank our Polish fans for the interest and support (and for the hoarse voices of course!). We want to express that we're seriously considering Polish localization and made some good contacts on this matter at the expo. Still no promises as of yet.

18630d3a9e81e407e566bd104eb1d5b0_original.jpg

And on Stygian's production, we've been altering and developing the tools that our designers and writers use in crafting Stygian so we can take the burden off our coders' shoulders thus enabling them to work on other undefinable horrors of alien logic.

We've also recruited new members for animations and turned some of our part time members into full time in order to meet the game's demands. Yes, it is a very demanding entity indeed. Do you also see the dreams?

We're also planning to release a demo in the first half of 2017 (probably to the end of that period). It will exclusively be available for our backers before going public. There will be complete character creation in the demo and it will directly start from the first chapter of the game.

You'll be hearing from us more often in the coming months.

Now excuse us but we should get back to work.

We'll meet amidst the black seas of infinity.

Team Cultic

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
New Game Art: Giving Shape to Strange Visions

Greetings Fellow Dreamers of our Glorious Fall!

As you know, true art can only come from suffering (lot's of hard work is a plus though). We've decided to make this update all about the new art assets of Stygian that we developed after the success of our campaign. For better or worse, you're responsible for them! Take credit dear cultist.

858e4f6b27e958fc9b2160b0c4e9f7ce_original.jpg

Archetypal PC models with various stages of detail

532ffeaa8aab8c8e680bf0212ea1224e_original.jpg

Textures and shadows are absent except the Investigator
As you can see we're altering our characters to fit better with our vision of a more classically stylized game world.

981c76ebb50fdda9ca4098922a22b7ac_original.gif

And here you can see our new approach to character animations. We've changed our animation software, we're now working full time with more animation artists and we're extremely excited about what's to come!

On the downside, we often find ourselves doing crazy looking body movements and gestures to express our characters to animators. We warn you, don't make your best deep one moves in a glass office partition. People look...

5b6b52261edf7cfbba700e6605665266_original.gif

No texturing, test coloring.
Speaking of the deep ones, let's check the evolution of our interpretation of the iconic creature. As you can see, the gills took most of the time!

696625d7560de941971e71c5dac7beab_h264_high.jpg

Basic Lighting Tests in Riverside
Without darkness, there can be no light. On second thought, forget about the light. It's boring and almost non-existent in Stygian.

We're working on a light engine for dark areas such as catacombs and crypts. Get ready to enter some combat scenarios holding your pistol on one hand and your good old lantern on the other!

95a225049e1f1a62c013db2ec04c1319_original.jpg

Honest Bill's Pawn Shop
There can not be an art update without a glimpse of our backgrounds, right? Just don't ask about the fate of Honest Bill, we prefer not to talk about it...

And we'd like to conclude our update with a character portrait. Since we're working on his dialogues these days, let us introduce you the owner of Schmidt's Antiques, Isidore Schmidt. He has a thing for keys...

bdd6a5345c05b1288754558687a9e1f4_original.png

Thanks for your support and interest!

By the way, if you would like to participate the "Cultist of the Week" contest, please visit the link below:

https://www.facebook.com/stygianthegame/posts/1816509095295189

We'll meet amidst the black seas of infinity.

Team Cultic

Scrawled

Cultic Games
Developer
Greetings from the fathomless catacombs of İstanbul!

We now announce the "Cultist of the Week" contest which will start at December 5, 2016 and last until February 27, 2017.

All we want from you is to send us your unusual photos (or videos) depicting you as a member of the Secret Society in your own way.

In this thirteen weeks period, we will select a photo (or video) every week from the pool of your submissions, just like the gif of the cultist on the hoverboard located below this description. At the end of the contest, one of the thirteen contestant cultists -whom will be chosen by you- will receive the dark gift: Your portrait as a cultist in Stygian. The proclamation of the damned will be at March 13, 2017, 13:00 (3:00 PM, UTC +3, Turkey).

The story behind the submitted art must be creative in order for the contestant to be competitive among fellow cultists.

Submit your photographs and videos to info@culticgames.com with your name attached. Feel free to leave a message to us if you wish.

Dark regards from Team Cultic

#cultistoftheweek

source.gif

hemtae

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Welcome to the Fathomless Depths of Stygian's Inventory System!

Greetings Fellow Collectors of Eldritch Artifacts!

In this update we'd like to share Stygian's inventory system.

Let's start with a video showcasing the system, and then talk more about its features and our design approach.

Stygian's inventory consists of the following sections:

Paper Doll - shows all the items the player currently has equipped, including weapons, outfits, artifacts, a backpack and things of that sort. We are pretty sensitive about customization and aim to display the player's choices with as many visual representations as possible. We're also designing unique models for special items such as rare weapons and gadgets. We are keenly aware of the fact that we RPG players love to play with our dolls, preferably voodoo dolls...

5cef67cdb8821af7ea0d17b59d591322_original.jpg

Equip your character, in style...
Statistics - shows almost all of the secondary statistics which affect combat and exploration. Potential effects of the items will be displayed as a tool-tip in the form of colored numeric modifiers.

3999acab34618a5bff60bdc2cd18a3ac_original.jpg

We haven't forgotten you Min-Max scholars
Party inventory - shows all items in the party's possession. Stygian uses a shared inventory system so you won't need to spend time shifting carried items from one character to another. Less item management, more black magic, count us in!

13768881f47351a359842c1f73072722_original.jpg

Did we tell you that we're also fans of adventure games?
Item category tabs - grant easy access to all the items you'll need to prolong your hopeless struggle against the shapeless horrors of the abyss. Tabs are divided into the following categories: Weapons and ammo, outfits, consumables, tools and gadgets, artifacts, books and tomes, quest-related items, miscellaneous, and of course the favorites tab, which can be customized by the player.

3e5052b441ba56f51113866f7eee5170_original.jpg

Quick items - allows you to set certain items to be instantly available during combat and exploration. Don't forget to add your favorite smokes to one of the quick item slots. Cigarettes are essential for reducing stress but remember not to smoke them all because the Cigs have become Arkham's rising currency!

89203b0af64e140a0f5ecd9cdd215465_original.jpg

As you can see, we tried to build upon the inventory features typical of western role playing games while balancing convenience and thematic flavor. We also chose to use larger icons for our items in order to include more detail, increase immersion, and show off the efforts of our talented artists.

Finally, for the closure of this unholy update, Cultic Games present you the talented leather artisan, Master Sebo, working on our Special Edition Game Tomes! These hand made books of madness will bring doom to your neighborhood when the game is out.

9fb9613fee18c794260b3eff4718c29d_original.jpg

No human skin was used in production of our special edition tomes
So please share your opinions with us fellow cultists and seekers of the forbidden knowledge. Are we walking the path of desolation gracefully?

Until we meet again, sailing through the tides of the black unknown...

Team Cultic

There's also a video in there that I have no idea how to embed

---

Arcane
The UI is already pretty good. Still a lot of work, of course, but I think that it's a good starting point.

PS: this is one of my most anticipated games.
I trust you, guys. Please, make it great :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom