Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones - a Lovecraftian Computer RPG

Scrawled

Cultic Games
Developer
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1698219403/stygian-a-lovecraftian-computer-rpg
Steam Greenlight: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=682776986

http://www.stygianthegame.com

https://af.gog.com/game/stygian_reign_of_the_old_ones?as=1649904300

Greetings RPG Codex denizens,

We are a gaming studio called Cultic Games. As a team we're developing a Lovecraft themed computer RPG called "Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones". We hope that rpg admirers, etc. like you (and like us :)) can get interested in our game. You can find some screenshots and info below. We want to create the best possible experience with your feedback. Let's be in touch!

0tXcLoF.jpg

INTRODUCTION

"Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones" is a supernatural horror roleplaying video game which takes place in the strange worlds of Howard Philips Lovecraft. Stygian will draw the player into a bleak journey from a ruined Arkham to the very depths of the Abyss.

The gameplay experience promises a mix of rich role-playing and turn based tactical combat in an authentic 2D graphical style reminiscent of 20's illustrations.In Stygian, players create their characters from scratch with a robust selection of archetypal backgrounds with different origin stories, attributes, skills, traits and lastly belief systems which determine how characters replenish their lost sanity, also presenting unique dialog choices.

The narrative of the game is strongly connected to the works of H. P. Lovecraft. In your quest, you'll use the haunted violin of Erich Zann to lure a fiendish deity and convince the poor wretched protogonist of "The Outsider" to join your party among many others.The heavy burden of fighting a desperate battle with forces beyond recognition will haunt you to the end of the game.

Physical combat will be scarce and difficult, spellcasting will have deep and dangerous consequences, sanity loss will leave its marks on characters as mental illnesses and sometimes the best solution will be running away from the terrors that lurk in the night. Stygian embraces the original themes of gothic, pulp and weird fiction, incorporating them into the computer roleplaying genre, promising a fresh (or putrid from another perspective) breath of air for roleplaying fans.

amN7y72.png

HISTORY

Your former life was in bliss of ignorance until you've awakened to the darkness waiting to devour our very existence on the doorstep of our fragile dimension. Something terrible left its eons old slumber and the reality as we know it, collapsed. The town of Arkham was pulled to somewhere not from this world and its residents are in the shadow of absolute terror. As a survivor of the catastrophe you should investigate the strange occurrences in the city and survive the rising darkness physically and mentally, if possible...

OY3MJFW.jpg

FEATURES

• A hand drawn 2D world which reflects the mood of Lovecraft and the pulp era of horror.
• Quests and storylines which capture the iconic themes of Lovecraft. Take part in your favorite horror stories and shape their outcome according to your role-playing style.
• Weirdest of the companions will accompany you in your accursed journey. Lonely antediluvian of "The Outsider", a dead WW1 soldier reanimated in the hands of "Herbert West", a psychic narcissistic cat from Ulthar and more will be among your eccentric cast of companions.
• Sanity and the mental state of the character will have influence on the dialog options. Mental conditions create benefits as well as hindrances. Sometimes being mad in a mad world helps.
• Belief Systems determine what the characters find comfort in and regenerate lost sanity alongside providing unique role-playing opportunities. A rational character gains sanity after completing a research on a mythos creature while a divine one gains sanity after converting a lost soul to the path of God.
• A unique spell system which sometimes takes more than what it gives. The black magic of Stygian is very potent but will cost you your mind, health and sometimes your very soul. Being a master of the true occult is not like flinging colorful missiles from your finger tips.
• Turn based strategic combat in beautiful 2D with "Heroes of Might and Magic" like perspective.
• 7 different backgrounds with completely unique prologue stories and specialities to breathe life into the Lovecraftian archetypes.
• The struggle is not for saving the world, that battle is lost already. Track your personal goal for salvation or vendetta in a doomed world.

oJ4ClFV.jpg

www.stygianthegame.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Blackstaff

Arbiter
Long time we didn't have a promising project like this. Is there a kickstarter in the making ?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Lots of games use that presskit site layout, it doesn't mean they're working with Vlambeer.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
hmmm. At least 3rd Lovercraftian themed rpg that is coming. (Witch House and Call of Cthulhu are the other ones)
Perhaps one of them will be good.

e. 4th since I forgot Witchmarsh.

Hegel

Arcane
Aren't those polyp monsters super rare and powerful? Fighting two at once and in broad daylight seems a bit over the top.

V_K

Arcane
Aren't those polyp monsters super rare and powerful? Fighting two at once and in broad daylight seems a bit over the top.
Well, since the game takes place after the Old Ones had already awakened, they're probably not super rare anymore.

Aenra

The art is dead wrong for something even remotely Lovecraft related. Too clean cut, too clear in its depictions, too bright, too.. NOT leaving anything to my imagination.
(just to be clear; taken out of context, sure, it's glorious)

In this camera mode, the 'horror' element can be a bitch to nail down. I pair up what i just said about the art with the fact we can have companions? You got a lot of convincing to do.

*edit: And you have yet to show how (unlike most ''RPG''s that attempted to), you "get" what Lovecraft horror is. And it ain't about the combat, nor about the big ass monsters.. not even remotely.
/catiously not fapping. At all.

Best of luck however, will be very happy to be convinced otherwise in due time :)

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
I kinda like the "Wicker Cthulhu" on the first game screenshot.
But if the game's gonna be faithful to HPL's works then all the characters will have to suffer gruesome and sad endings by the end of the game.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
This looks awesome. One question - you stated we create characters. Does this mean we create two of the three party members or just one? Do you have to take your companions or can I create three of my own?

Lastly, I hate to sound superficial, but lately I have been into portraits and downloading portrait packs and installing them into games. A few of the portraits I see look decent, but more would be better. I doubt portrait packs will work since it seems the portraits are the pictures of the character's onscreen. I like tough looking guys with angry faces, preferably not white but not ridiculously stereotypical dark blacks with big lips and afros. Since this is Lovecraft maybe a well muscled guy in a shadows with an angry face with an ambiguous race? Tough, mean looking, not scrawny, no weird facial hair, that is the ticket. No long haired hippies either. Also, maybe a guy with a crazy, unkempt and non-groomed wild beard sounds kind of fitting.

Also, how many equipment slots will there be? Please don't go rpg-lite in the equipment slot and itemization department.

Crichton

Prophet
I love the first two screenshots but the third leaves me cold; the idea of fighting it out with mini-Cthulhus reminds me of the hordes of generic "Jedi Masters" in KotOR2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom