Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Strategy/Tactical space game with a battleship

Morkar Left

I'm looking for a space sim / strategy game where you command a single battleship (or a small fleet) with fighter squadrons.

Preferably where you can upgrade the mothership/fighers and the crew can earn experience. Something where your focus isn't on conquering planets but on the mothership. Should give some Battlestar Galactica vibes.

Anybody has suggestions?

DraQ

Arcane
I'm looking for a space sim / strategy game where you command a single battleship (or a small fleet) with fighter squadrons.

Preferably where you can upgrade the mothership/fighers and the crew can earn experience. Something where your focus isn't on conquering planets but on the mothership. Should give some Battlestar Galactica vibes.

Anybody has suggestions?
Nexus: The Jupiter Incident seems to match your requirements.

https://www.gog.com/game/nexus_the_jupiter_incident
1471204850-279016533.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DraQ

Arcane
I haven't played this one yet, but also Children of a Dead Earth seems to match if you are willing to sacrifice some graphicswhoring for ultrarealism and freedom to design your ships and subsystems down to things like railguns' internal ballistics or propellant(s) used and engine nozzle cooling.
http://childrenofadeadearth.com/

(Glowy pew-pews are obviously not LAZORZ nor any sort of futuristic energy weapons, they are mundane tracers.
Yes, you can build LAZORS but they look more or less how laser in space should look like.)

Nirvash

Liturgist
There is almost nothing.

Are you ok with 5 battleships and jrpg?

Infinite space for nintendo ds.

Strategic real time combat, crew (heroes) managment, tetris like module fitting, all kinds of ships, carriers, giant lazors, space marines battle barges, etc.

Yes, is a portable game, yes is jrpg "ultra epic" story bullshit chara driven (well, still not worse than the average sci-fi tv).

Game got some flaws but is one of a kind.

Morkar Left

DraQ Nexus could be fitting. Looks competent. Children of a Dead Earth looks to unpersonal and technical for what I'm looking for.

Nirvash Not a fan of anime but could be servicable. But getting that game on pc - if possible - surely comes with a lot of compromises.

Destroid Theoretically yes, I even played them before (Universal Combat), but it's a really static experience and not not that big ship carrier feel I'm looking for. The X series with mods can deliver that better nowadays (but with even more micro-management).

This one I stumbled on my search and pretty much looks like something I'm looking for: The Fleets of Sol But it has some bad ratings and bad controls, though I'm not sure I should take it...

Nirvash

Liturgist
Nirvash Not a fan of anime but could be servicable. But getting that game on pc - if possible - surely comes with a lot of compromises.

Download emulator, download rom, play.

Yes, is piracy but is not like you can still truly buy one "new", not sure about dd on nintendo 3ds store but unlikely.

Ds emulation is pretty easy and don't need any settings/plugins, games works/run 100%.

Simulated touch screen = mouse pointer.

There is almost nothing.

Are you ok with 5 battleships and jrpg?

Infinite space for nintendo ds.

Strategic real time combat, crew (heroes) managment, tetris like module fitting, all kinds of ships, carriers, giant lazors, space marines battle barges, etc.

Yes, is a portable game, yes is jrpg "ultra epic" story bullshit chara driven (well, still not worse than the average sci-fi tv).

Game got some flaws but is one of a kind.

horrible game. atrocious interface, excruciatingly repetitive, obscure distance mechanics, every little shit is either level or event locked. i waited in anticipation for years to try it, i couldn't bear it anymore after just minutes.

Nirvash

Liturgist
horrible game

I suppose all jrpg/console stuff must be horrible to you.

atrocious interface

Dude, no.

Sure is not the best but you can find like 200 games in this forum with way, way, way, way worse interface, games here regarded as good.

excruciatingly repetitive

No way, some grind in a rpg? Damn, that's new. (actually is not even a problem for the emu since you can spedup)

obscure distance mechanics

Not true, you just have to learn the system a bit.

every little shit is either level or event locked

Is a branching story, you make choices.

There also a "free mode" if you want just the combat.

i couldn't bear it anymore after just minutes.

"minutes".

Raapys

Arcane
The Star Wolves series and Nexus are the bestest. Ceres was okay when I tried it, but indie quality.

DraQ

Arcane
Morkar
There is also Homeworld, it fits the vibe as it is the story of single fleet's epic journey, although mechanically you have a lot of unit production and the action focuses on managing large groups of ships, with mothership mostly away from direct combat, rather than in-depth management of a small handful of ships.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom