Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Strategy Games

Seven

Erudite
I was just wondering given the sad state of affairs in the RPG markey who else has turned to strategy games to fill the void?

BTW, the Total War series has been a life saver.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Seven9 said:
I was just wondering given the sad state of affairs in the RPG markey who else has turned to strategy games to fill the void?

BTW, the Total War series has been a life saver.

Actually, since I can't afford to get Silent Storm right now, I've turned to some of my older CRPGs that I haven't played in quite some time. Also, I am working my way through TOEE once more now that I have the patch installed. I play alot of Age Of Wonders 2 though, so I guess that would be my strategy game I turn to. Working on my own campaign.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Psilon said:
Cool. Have you tried Shadow Magic yet?

Yeah, actually. That's the one I am making my campaign with. I really like the extra level it gives you for maps. I was one of the original beta testers for AoW and have been a big fan of the series. The first one was really a learning process for the people involved and was riddled with bugs and a bunk AI. But it still did well enough that they decided to pump out the sequel. And what a sequel it was! Some people say it was too hard. Well, it was a challengs, that's for sure. But that's why I liked it. :)

Shadow Magic is way better I think though. I really love the new additions and tweaks they threw onto the AoW2 engine with it. And the maps can be downright beautiful. I still consider HOMM3's map editor to be among the best though.

I guess I've always liked strategy games, so it's not so much that I turn to them when there's not many RPG's. Honestly, I can't think of a time when there were (decent) RPG's cropping up all over the place; it's a fairly rarefied genre.

I still haven't gotten Shadow Magic though I keep meaning to. AoW2 was awesome. I just got Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising for $1.99, and finally got around to playing it yesterday. Did just no one ever hear about this game? It's really pretty good IMO, but the price (which has been like that for over a year) seems to indicate they're losing money just desperately trying to empty out the stock.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
The "Total War" series is indeed very good, especially Medieval: Total War. Otherwise, I feel that there's not many good strategical games out there, but quite a few decent tactical ones.

Sharpei_Diem

Liturgist
Man that EU engine just won't die...

AOW:SM is quite good: an improvement, even, over AoW 2. They tidied up alot of little things, particularly the interface and campaign screens, and it really adds some polish to the predecessor. Highly recommend it...

I think the problem with Hostile waters is that, when it came out, it had some pretty severe hardware requirements that scared people away....I've always heard that it was a good looking game, but not much beyond that...

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Sharpei_Diem said:
I think the problem with Hostile waters is that, when it came out, it had some pretty severe hardware requirements that scared people away....I've always heard that it was a good looking game, but not much beyond that...

I waited for the multiplayer that Interplay promised and never delivered, which is why I never bought it.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Well, heck. If anyone is interested in a game of Shadow Magic, feel free to message me. I haven't really played it much multiplayer. Once I finished the SP campaign, I dove right into the map maker and began experimenting.

dunduks

Liturgist
Walks with the Snails said:
I just got Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising for $1.99, and finally got around to playing it yesterday. Did just no one ever hear about this game? It's really pretty good IMO, but the price (which has been like that for over a year) seems to indicate they're losing money just desperately trying to empty out the stock.
I very much enjoyed the game - it had good graphics, witty and fun characters (I still rember old Patton - "Son, and you call this (*&^*&^*( a tank") + i really liked the unit construction that was instant.

John Syron

Novice
I'm on the last few levels of Homeworld and have been hooked on it for a few weeks now. Shogun:Total War was great too. The only problem with Homeworld is that it's too short at 16 missions, though the multiplayer was probably challenging.

Seven

Erudite
Cool. Have you tried Shadow Magic yet?
Excellent game that shows that TB can be fast paced.

"Warrior Kings" is quite a good game imo.
I've never heard of this one, but I'll check it out.

The "Total War" series is indeed very good, especially Medieval: Total War. Otherwise, I feel that there's not many good strategical games out there, but quite a few decent tactical ones.
The tactical level of detail in ME: TW is pretty good too, IMO.

BTW, I have HW2, but I haven't had a chance to play it, so at least that's something to look forward to.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
I've tried Homeworld 2, but it wasn't my cup of tea. Too much fiddling around with the camera to get a good view of the action for my liking. When on the third level I was "teleported" right in front of an enemy battlegroup much more powerful than anything I had the chance to build before that, and was subsequently ripped to shreds, I uninstalled the game in disgust.

Spazmo

Erudite
Having seen screens of HW2, I'm disturbed by how ginormous the interface is now. One thing I loved about the original is how the screen is essentially free of any kind of interface stuff aside from yout cursor most of the time. That was pretty neat and very helpful in a game like HW where you need to be situationally aware all the time.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Spazmo said:
Having seen screens of HW2, I'm disturbed by how ginormous the interface is now. One thing I loved about the original is how the screen is essentially free of any kind of interface stuff aside from yout cursor most of the time. That was pretty neat and very helpful in a game like HW where you need to be situationally aware all the time.

Well, one of my friends bought the game and let me borrow it for a bit since he got disgusted with it. I played up until mission four before finally uninstalling it. I was pretty upset with the interface as well. Plus, you can't capture ships and that really pissed me off. I mean, you can 'capture' them, but they just fade away once you do. No being able to use them, no being able to scrap them for resources, nothing. That alone was enough to make me really not like the game. Give me the originals anyday.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Actually, this whole topic has caused me to pull my SNES out and fire up one of my all time favorite strategy games ever: Ogre Battle. I really would like to see more games like this enter into the market. The game's an absolute blast to play. And with the multiple endings and different paths to take, it has severe replay value. Anyone who like a decent strategy game should give this one a try. :)

I was pretty disappointed with the Warlords 4 demo, and I was a big fan of Warlords 3 and Warlords Battlecry 1 & 2. The gameplay just seemed rather shallow to me. I was really looking forward to it, too.

dunduks said:
I very much enjoyed the game - it had good graphics, witty and fun characters (I still rember old Patton - "Son, and you call this (*&^*&^*( a tank") + i really liked the unit construction that was instant.

Yeah, I was just playing it and put Borden in a repair Scarab, which didn't make her too happy. At the carrier she said "I blow things up, I do NOT clean them up." Then whenever someone came by for repairs she'd say in a very soft voice "Come to Nurse Borden" and when she was done she said "Does that feel better?" or "There you go, all better", like she had just put a band-aid on a 3-year old. It was really funny.

Seven

Erudite
Kizmiaz said:
Have anyone here tried Warlords 4?
I downloaded the demo but I haven't really tried it out. Nice graphics though. And reminds somewhat of HoMM.

It's streamlined. This is to say: there's no diplomacy, no buildings per say and dumbed down combat that doesn't reflect your force size of composition at all.

ecliptic

Liturgist
I much preferred the combat in 3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom