Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Strategy games which include ancient civilization?

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Reporting back from the front lines:

It's good. It's very good.
How does it compare to Great Battles -series?

Speaking of which I should complain to GOG about Great Battles of Caesar which doesn't seem to work very well.
Some battles have missing or corrupted scripts that crash the game.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Reporting back from the front lines:

It's good. It's very good.
How does it compare to Great Battles -series?

Speaking of which I should complain to GOG about Great Battles of Caesar which doesn't seem to work very well.
Some battles have missing or corrupted scripts that crash the game.

Did you ever play the original FOG? Think original FOG, but merge it with the Pike & Shot / Warring States games so that single player is actually worth playing. If you liked the Great Battles series then I don't see why you wouldn't like FOG 2. The big difference is how the orders are issued to the units, but otherwise it's very similar and pretty much better in every way.

Plenty of multiplayer action, reasonably fast paced, cool army lists, there's an interesting campaign system that's more combat-oriented/event-driven than Pike & Shot, etc. Judging by the original FOG, we can also expect a lot more army expansion packs.

Last edited:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Did you ever play the original FOG? Think original FOG, but merge it with the Pike & Shot / Warring States games.
Never played played original FOG.
And I'm probably going to buy this one a bit later.

I'm probably going to buy Mare Nostrum first for the sheer novelty value, besides I'm nowadays trying to get handle on WEGO-systems; been playing couple of games that have it quite recently (Star Hammer: Vanguard Prophecy, TASTEE and Flashpoint Campaigns.)

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Mentioning Mare Nostrvm reminded me that Turntopia's previous game Qvadriga hasn't been mentioned in this topic.
It's about managing chariot race team.

There is a demo available.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
http://www.slitherine.com/news/2407/Mare.Nostrvm.releases.on.November.2nd!

Mare Nostrvm releases on November 2nd!

We are very happy to announce that the release for Mare Nostrvm is scheduled for Thursday this week!

On November 2nd you’ll have the chance to set sails and get challenged with one of the finest simulators of ancient galley warfare ever made!

From the product page:

Mare Nostrvm is a strategy game by the developer of Qvadriga, and it is set during the turbulent war galleys era, when the civlizations along the Mediterranean Sea started to extend their ambitions towards new lands.

Ram enemy ships, board them, or make use of your on-board harpax to make their encounter with Neptune the last!

Get more information about the game from its official product page

Mare Nostrvm will be available on Steam too!

Check out our Preview!

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yep I have Mare Nostrum followed and on my wishlist, definitely a first day purchase.

I played Quadriga, too, and it was a lot of fun. A relatively simple game but it's solid entertainment.

catfood

AGAIN
Try Ancient Conquest. It's a unique RTS from 1998 that is about ancient naval warfare, but it also has a mythological twist to it. You can also customize your ships with heroes, crew and weapons. There's really no other game like it.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
Try Ancient Conquest. It's a unique RTS from 1998 that is about ancient naval warfare, but it also has a mythological twist to it. You can also customize your ships with heroes, crew and weapons. There's really no other game like it.

Where can I buy it? Or do I have to procure it by other means?

Since you mention the pre-400BC time period, check out the Age of Bronze custom battle mod for Rome II : http://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...-Release-1-3-Download-Last-Updated-01-22-2016
Doesn't have a campaign mode so you'll have to do custom battles with the AI but its the only thing close to an RTS that I know of that touches the Bronze Age(other than AoE1 ofc).

catfood

AGAIN

Where can I buy it? Or do I have to procure it by other means?

Since you mention the pre-400BC time period, check out the Age of Bronze custom battle mod for Rome II : http://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...-Release-1-3-Download-Last-Updated-01-22-2016
Doesn't have a campaign mode so you'll have to do custom battles with the AI but its the only thing close to an RTS that I know of that touches the Bronze Age(other than AoE1 ofc).

You can't buy it. You'll have to not phisically remove it from an inventory. Check the corsair's cove or theisozone, they might have it.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
08EEB577D0361C2275D8D18C8C4339FE68733595

edit.
Etrurians rammed my formations while I was expecting them to try swarm and grapple my smaller force.
1/3 of my fleet didn't survive initial contact.
This might prove to be interesting game.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Seeing how good this thread is,i decided to contribute a little.

Empires: Dawn of the Modern World
2adf968cf76ca08627864b462c36088cbf299d49ce553a0e1d6fa5a9a6f2ba0d.jpg

https://af.gog.com/game/empires_dawn_of_the_modern_world?as=1649904300

praetorians_patch_v1.05_install.png

https://af.gog.com/game/praetorians?as=1649904300
5 bucks,will recommend trying it.

tzar_thumb.png

https://af.gog.com/game/tzar_the_burden_of_the_crown?as=1649904300

Celtic Kings: Rage of War
f90c8825149af5c59bd3f73fba359f2fa03294fcadc4f489996c7719f521f26e.jpg

https://af.gog.com/game/celtic_kings_rage_of_war?as=1649904300

Grand Ages Rome
258004-grand-ages-rome-gold-edition-windows-front-cover.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/23450/Grand_Ages_Rome/

Knights of Honor

knights_of_honor_supreme.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/25830/Knights_of_Honor/

Hope you find something new worth trying out ;) .

Last edited by a moderator:

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
edit.
Etrurians rammed my formations while I was expecting them to try swarm and grapple my smaller force.
1/3 of my fleet didn't survive initial contact.
This might prove to be interesting game.

I like it so far, I just got home and tried the tutorial battle. Then I tried a few turns on Lade.

It's a much different feel from land-based TBS games. It does remind me of Quadriga, a lot of predicting where your opponent is going, and general positioning strategies. I am not entirely clear on what to do after you capture a ship, so I'll need to read this manual I think.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
I am not entirely clear on what to do after you capture a ship, so I'll need to read this manual I think.
You'll want to reverse those entangled ships away from each other.
Captured ships (and ships with no manpower left in general) seem to be only good for ramming.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom