Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Strategy games set in the Early Modern period (XVI-XVIII c.)

anus_pounder

Arcane
I don't suppose there are any games focusing on the Austro-Prussian War (1866) or the Franco-Prussian War (1870) are there?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Dragoon: The Battles of Frederick The Great.
This looks very familiar, I think I played the demo of a game set in the 2nd Punic war that was using the same engine, it was very long ago.

Regarding the games looking like shit, actually that's invariably my big complaint about wargames -- I think the complexity is a must, but it's a huge waste if the atmosphere and colors of the era are not conveyed through graphics and sound. What is a wargame without pretty soldier figurines? I've always thought that's one of the signatory things about the physical games, so why are the computer games always looking so ugly, even the most modern ones.

Kuattro

Augur
Well, I expect finding a good artist is not that easy. At least not one that can work with whole units instead of individual characters.

And even when you have one, the aesthetics of it all are more important, and this games are usually made by hardcore grognards with the artistic sense of a cannonball. Making it pretty is probably not one of their priorities, I wouldn't be surprised if most of them would be happy playing just with a bunch of spreadsheets.

Oh, I've just remembered another one, Field of Strategy. It's a free game, it has both tactical and strategical modes, and modules that cover from antiquity to modern times. A lot of XVIII century and napoleonic (both early and late) fighting in there.

Of course if other games are ugly, this is no better, and I would say it's particularly hideous, specially most of the strategic maps. I'm not doing this on purpose, I swear.

I don't suppose there are any games focusing on the Austro-Prussian War (1866) or the Franco-Prussian War (1870) are there?

FoS doesn't focus on them, but it has some battles and campaigns dedicated to that era (in the II Empire module).

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Sometimes modders come along and actually change stuff for the better. The John Tiller Games stuff usually looks like shit but modders keep churning out pretty and total art overhauls. Wargames have been utterly niche since the 90's and that means they usually got limited budgets and market sales. Unfortunately the art is usually skimped on. They shouldn't. A decent UI and clear graphics do wonders. Just look at for instance Unity of Command. Niche as fuck but it sold more than decently. In part because of its great mechanics and AI but also because of its clear and unique look.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Dragoon: The Battles of Frederick The Great. [...]

Nice find, I remember playing this at one point in time. Can't remember if it was any decent, though.
As the other one mentioned already (Horse and Musket) - the scenarions were very nicely done but the AI... let's say you should only play the side attacking/in offense - which means in this games Prussia 95% if not 100% of the time. AI can't handle an organized attack on large scale but it can defend. At least that is what i remember. Overall a bit disapointing - still i liked those games. Probably because there is so little about this period sadly.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, I expect finding a good artist is not that easy. At least not one that can work with whole units instead of individual characters.

And even when you have one, the aesthetics of it all are more important, and this games are usually made by hardcore grognards with the artistic sense of a cannonball. Making it pretty is probably not one of their priorities, I wouldn't be surprised if most of them would be happy playing just with a bunch of spreadsheets.

Oh, I've just remembered another one, Field of Strategy. It's a free game, it has both tactical and strategical modes, and modules that cover from antiquity to modern times. A lot of XVIII century and napoleonic (both early and late) fighting in there.

Of course if other games are ugly, this is no better, and I would say it's particularly hideous, specially most of the strategic maps. I'm not doing this on purpose, I swear.

FoS doesn't focus on them, but it has some battles and campaigns dedicated to that era (in the II Empire module).

I understand but I've always thought the tabletop wargamers were putting an emphasis on the looks of the figurines, and that making the figurines is a large part of the hobby itself. That this care does not translate to the computer games is something that I find strange. As for artists being expensive, the Cossacks games had pretty nice art even though as games they were cutting a lot of corners.

Last edited:

Xorphitus

Scholar
Sometimes modders come along and actually change stuff for the better. The John Tiller Games stuff usually looks like shit but modders keep churning out pretty and total art overhauls. Wargames have been utterly niche since the 90's and that means they usually got limited budgets and market sales. Unfortunately the art is usually skimped on. They shouldn't. A decent UI and clear graphics do wonders. Just look at for instance Unity of Command. Niche as fuck but it sold more than decently. In part because of its great mechanics and AI but also because of its clear and unique look.

Purchased the Tiller games from Matrix yesterday will certainly be looking for some mods after playing around on the Napoleonic one this afternoon.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Is Cossacks 2 worth playing? Is it better or worse than Napoleon: TW?

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I heard 2 was more focused on realism and napoleonic warfare.

oscar

Arcane
They still fit within the RTS style far more with base building, resource collecting etc

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom