Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Strategy games set in the Early Modern period (XVI-XVIII c.)

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm looking for any and all strategy games set in the period, regardless of subgenres - RTS, TBS, economic, wargame, doesn't matter.

Let me see which ones I know:
  1. Imperialism (I & II)
  2. Sid Meier's Colonization (and remake)
  3. Patrician (3 games, technically set a little before the period's start)
  4. Cossacks (I, II, III)
  5. Anno (4 games)
  6. American Conquest (a Cossacks clone set in the Americas)
  7. Waterloo - Napoleon's Last Battle / Austerlitz - Napoleon's Greatest Victory
  8. Pike & Shot
  9. Europa Universalis (4 games)
  10. Port Royale (2 games, Patrician clones)
  11. The Seven Years War
That's all I'm able to come up with. Add more, I'm looking for any good strategy game set in that period.

sovijus

Educated
Rise of Prussia
Thirty Years War
Horse and Musket
Birth of America I and II
For Liberty!

Since you included Napoleonic era:
Victory and Glory: Napoleon
Wars of Napoleon (latest AGEOD Napoleon game, there was earlier one called Napoleon's Campaigns also)
Scourge of War: Waterloo

Oh yeah, Mount&Blade: Warband had an expansion set in XVII c. Eastern Europe - With Fire and Sword. Not a strategy maybe, but something close.

Last edited:

Beowulf

Arcane
Apart from already listed:

Commander: Napoleon at War
Crown of Glory: Emperors Edition
Campaigns on the Danube
Quite a few of John Tiller's games are set in this period
Naval:
Age of Sail
Naval Action (barely)
Oriental:
Nobunaga's Amibtion
Sengoku
Total War Shogun

Last edited:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Some older titles:
Fields of Glory (1993, Microprose)
Battleground 3: Waterloo (1996, TalonSoft)
Battleground 6: Napoleon in Russia (1997, TalonSoft)

Age of Empires 3.

Unwanted

Bésame Mucho

Unwanted
On Matrix Games you can set your period to filter games, like Muskets or Age of Sail.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Don't forget Empire Total War!

Even though when you play it you'll feel nothing but disappointment and shame at a series that fell with that very game. God what a shitty game.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Thanks for the replies. I was not that sure just what kind of game I want to play and I suspected there would be some older titles that I wouldn't be aware of. Now that I look through them I see that I've mostly been missing some very old games and some AGEOD clones. Not particularly enthusiastic about either, unfortunately.

Lol, I really did forget that one. I wouldn't even consider playing it though. I'm all too familiar with the TW games' shortcomings and with how to cheat the cheater AI. It's pretty much "you've played one, you've played them all", and their gameplay is better suited to some time periods than others.

I watched a video of "Scourge of War: Waterloo" and it looked very promising as complexity and graphics. On one hand I'm looking for a complex wargame (such as Austerlitz NGV or Waterloo NLB were), on the other I'd rather play something with prettier graphics. I don't want to have to count solely on my imagination while ordering pixelated smudges around a map.

The AGEOD games do have some draw for me, but the fact that they are played on grand strategy level kind of makes them seem more like AGEOD's World War One (which I've tried out for a few days) than a proper reenactment of early modern wars.

Whisky

The Solution

Even though when you play it you'll feel nothing but disappointment and shame at a series that fell with that very game. God what a shitty game.
Yeah, kinda like the Alamo.

Fitting because the game can accurately simulate the Alamo.

That is, if the Texan volunteers were stuck in the Alamo because their pathfinding glitched and could not ungarrison and not because they were surrounded.

Delterius

Arcane
Stuck there forever because the AI can't handle the bosphorus strait so the turks and russians constantly send their whole armies in teams of 1 or 2 units around the Black Sea, leading to thousand hour long turns.

To say nothing of France and Spain being single regions.

sser

Arcane
Developer
When I played Empire, the strategic AI could not actually use transport boats whatsoever, the battlefield AI was literally just dead, if I watched a replay it would unfold it a completely different manner which was just bizarre, and then yes, there were things like conquering whole countries thanks to the capture of one city.

95% on PC Gamer.

:argh:

kris

Arcane
, there were things like conquering whole countries thanks to the capture of one city.

95% on PC Gamer.

:argh:

AI France pretty much never garrisoned Paris either. you pretty much just walked around their army, took Paris, GG.

dehimos

Augur
Yes. Although it's a game for 19th, the game has scenarios for XVIII (the tactic engine is ok all this period)

http://www.alternatewars.com/Games/AOR/AOR.htm

It could also comment on the mod for Knight of Honor "Muskets Of Honor" but only changes the interface and units: there are medieval castles and diplomacy.

AwesomeButton

Patron
True. And this reminds me of another one - "Blood & Gold: Carribean!" - on Mount & Blade's engine.

Whisky

The Solution
Stuck there forever because the AI can't handle the bosphorus strait so the turks and russians constantly send their whole armies in teams of 1 or 2 units around the Black Sea, leading to thousand hour long turns.

To say nothing of France and Spain being single regions.

Spain is two regions if you count Gibraltar!

Kuattro

Augur
Dragoon: The Battles of Frederick The Great. There's also Horse & Musket, very similar (identical in fact) but with battles from the whole XVIII century, from the American Independence to the Seven Years, through the Spanish Successions. Of course if you're not feeling very inclined to try older games, they probably won't interest you. I think Matrix was selling a more modern version, but as far as I remember it was ugly as fuck (uglier than the originals).

Beowulf

Arcane
Dragoon: The Battles of Frederick The Great. [...]

Nice find, I remember playing this at one point in time. Can't remember if it was any decent, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom