Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Storm of Zehir. B+, lacklustre story, would play again!

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir

<a href="http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3171538&p=1">1up have upped one Storm of Zehir review</a>. Here's a few paragraphs I decided to copy and paste. The summary, basically:
<br>
<blockquote>Since the story centers around a mercantile concern, trading plays a role. Though initially dubious at this Ferengi-ifcation of my stalwart band, as I started playing around with the economy, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Again, it plays into the whole freedom vibe -- by trading resources and goods with other cities and setting up trade caravans, the gold you reap (and materials you find) helps you explore the crafting system. And the desire to set up more caravans and trading centers gives you another reason to explore the map.
<br>
<br>
But like all of the games saddled with the buggy NWN2 engine, Storm of Zehir has its problems. Besides a rather lackluster story, the overland map does a few weird things as well. For starters, every time you go from an encounter to the map, all of your long-duration spells expire. My 24-hour-duration spells shouldn't fizzle out this quickly. Coupled with the game's inability to rest without risking a chance encounter (you may safely rest in towns), this really nerfs spellcasters (I hope one of NWN2's modders comes up with a fix, if the developers don't address this in a patch). And while the conversation and crafting systems allow you to use all of your parties' skills, the overland map oddly restricts you to just your selected character's abilities -- a weird step back, given the freedom of the party system.
<br>
<br>
Storm of Zehir may have a lackluster story, and that's OK, because it doesn't need one. It gives you the means -- the freedom -- to make your own story. And isn't that why we like RPGs in the first place?</blockquote>
<br>
If you think that's fun, try Start ->> Programs ->> Accessories ->> Notepad. Have fun creating your own story!
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="RPGWatch">Where I like to steal all my news, Pinky</a>

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Then why did you buy it? You knew before playing it that it wasn't to your taste in the first place.

JrK

Prophet
He's just an emo whiny boy feeling the need to opress us with his smelly opinion. Exaggerating to get attention is his schtick.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Then why did you buy it?"

I like Obsidian games. I like D&D games. I like the NWN series. I like old school 'dungeon crawls'. Need I go on?

" You knew before playing it that it wasn't to your taste in the first place. "

L0L Simply not true. I thought the game was gonna be fun. And, challenging.

"I looked the box all over and couldn't find 'BIOWARE' anywhere on there"

1. The BIO logo is on it.

2. I enjoyed FO even thoguh BIo had nothing to do with it.

3. i enjoy NHL 09 even thoguh BIO has nothing to do with it.

4. I enjoyed the GB games even though BIO had nothing to do with them.

5. I enjoy pnp D&D which BIO had nothing to do with it.

In essence, your logic sucks.

Then again, i prefer my 'dungeon romps' to have challenging combat, creative/imaginative dungeons that are crafted with love and care, and an actual purpose.

But, hey, I guess my standards are too high. I mean, I liked IWD afterall, and Might & Magic afterall. *shrug*

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Volourn said:
Then again, i prefer my 'dungeon romps' to have challenging combat, creative/imaginative dungeons that are crafted with love and care, and an actual purpose.
You mean they don't?
Bugger :(

I was hoping for crafted dungeons a la IWD.
Alas, my copy doesn't arrive for another week, but you've just tempered my expectations somewhat.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"it isn't nearly big enough then"

L0L I'll give you this. :lol:

"I was hoping for crafted dungeons a la IWD."

Do not expect IWD type dungeons. And, that's not opinion. It's simply a fact. Dungeons are 2-3 rooms. Biggest i've seen is 5, but the areas are so small that when a fight starts, the whole dungeon comes running (which was actually cool in one instance).

But, a crypt with 3 wraiths and a ruin with 4 lizardman are NOT good dungeons. They're basically random encounters with a chest with mostly useless magical loot. :roll:

P.S. Anyone who bashed ME for boring/bland dungeons/planets should NOT be defending SOZ since unlike ME SOZ is designed around these small 'duengons' - though the gameplay mainly consists of running on the world map - load screen - random encounter - load screen - random encounter - random 'dungeon' - load screen - 1 or 2 battles in dungeon - load screen - map run - random encounter... etc., etc.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Shagnak said:
You are listening to Volly? What did you smoke? And more importantly, where can I get some?

That aside, it is advertised for the overland map and the exploration qualities. Why did you ever think it'd be a game with great dungeon crawling?
It makes the most of the shitty NWN2-engine and more of D&D 3rd edition than any other crpg since IWD2 (as fucked as D&D is in RT).

And contrary to what Volly claims there are many encounters and locations that are challenging for your party if you explore/meet them early.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"You are listening to Volly? What did you smoke? And more importantly, where can I get some?"

Are you denying the FACT that the dungeons are, as a whole, nothing more than small cubicles no bigger than random encounetrs for the most part? If so, stop bullshitting.

"And contrary to what Volly claims there are many encounters and locations that are challenging for your party if you explore/meet them early."

Yeah, possibly, if you zerg straight towards them for no logical reason. Then again, by the time you reach them, you've probably gained some levels, and they become easy. HAHAHA!

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The story itself is kinda nice, while nothing really special.
The problem is the presentation...

If there is this giant threat to the Sword Coast, then why is NOTHING of it shown to the player?
No burning cities, no tragic happenings. Nothing to give the player the idea that anything in this land is in danger. This is one thing where I feel that Obsidian really could and should have done better.

Just someone who tells that you have to stop the Snakes at the temple and a new kind of encounter on the map...

notnats

Novice
Shannow said:
It makes the most of the shitty NWN2-engine and more of D&D 3rd edition than any other crpg since IWD2 (as fucked as D&D is in RT).

No it does not. If you know your engine is shite you
a) make your game combat heavy with many small area transitions to show off how shitty the engine really is, or
b) make a story driven game, with less combat, to cover up the fubar?

Black

Arcane
If SoZ gets any more good reviews we will need to hate it to save our faces.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"b) Most likely wouldn't sell enough. Easy as that."

MOTB did well enough to warrant a 2nd NWN expansion. On top of that, it got great reviews and press.

On the other hand, SOZ has had exactly one 'big time' review that I've heard (at least according to the Obsidian site) so it doesn't seem to be getting as much traction.

Honestly, despite my hatred for SOZ. I wouldn't mind another expansion. hell, I'd want another SOZ like dungeon/map crawing expansion. Only better.

The idea of SOZ isn't bad. The implementation, however, is HORRIBLE.

notnats

Novice
thesheeep said:
b) Most likely wouldn't sell enough. Easy as that.

Maybe, and maybe not. Did MotB sell badly? And besides, who's buying the 2nd expansion anyway, outside the hardcore NWN/RPG crowd?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
MotB was quite combat driven, too.

The difference is the open world, which doesn't allow a similar great presentation of the story. I mean, it does, but only for a longer development time, etc.

notnats said:
And besides, who's buying the 2nd expansion anyway, outside the hardcore NWN/RPG crowd?

People who just like to do the fighting?

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
This actually seems like good news. I hate dungeon crawling. I'm all about open spaces, perhaps I have a complex or something, but I if I don't have to go into a dank dark cave, I won't.

notnats

Novice
thesheeep said:
MotB was quite combat driven, too.

No, MotB obviously had combat, the least amount of combat of any NWN game to date btw, but it was not combat driven.

The difference is the open world, which doesn't allow a similar great presentation of the story. I mean, it does, but only for a longer development time, etc.

That's the point, the NWN2 engine doesn't handle open world exploration and combat very well, so why make a game focused on it?

Shannow

Waster of Time
Volourn said:
"You are listening to Volly? What did you smoke? And more importantly, where can I get some?"

Are you denying the FACT that the dungeons are, as a whole, nothing more than small cubicles no bigger than random encounetrs for the most part? If so, stop bullshitting.
Nope. I'm saying that your taste in games is so weird that nobody who has any kind of "normal" taste, be it mainstream or hivemind, should ask your opinion in anything. I'm saying that anyone who does so and then bases all his expectations of a game on your opinion must be high. (And lets face it. You are a phenomenon. I cannot imagine that there are many people like you.)

Yeah, possibly, if you zerg straight towards them for no logical reason. Then again, by the time you reach them, you've probably gained some levels, and they become easy.
Go to the ruined yuan-ti temple, the ogre cave, the banite enclave (probably many more) as soon as possible and then tell me that all you need is "some tactics". Not to mention that many encounters consist of mixed spellcasters + melee. Volly, are you denying the FACT that SoZ provides many locations that you are quite probable to encounter before they become a piece of cake? I had 2 or 3 locations that I left alone after reloading for the 3rd time to come back later with some more levels under the belt. Sadly, the game seems to go to shit after you hit around level 12. Haven't had any challenge in ages... :(

No it does not. If you know your engine is shite you
a) make your game combat heavy with many small area transitions to show off how shitty the engine really is, or
b) make a story driven game, with less combat, to cover up the fubar?
First b). Which they did with MotB.
And then c)
You show that your engine, as crappy as it is, is capable of more than you have shown before. Maybe I should have amended that they did the most of it as far as they were able to, but otherwise I stand by my statement.

Lurkar

Scholar
Ignoring the bizarre fascination with responding to Volly, it amuses - and horrifies - me to see that "SPELLCASTERS ARE NEEEERRRRRFED" because you can't rest wherever you want in the middle of monster infested areas

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Shannow said:
You are listening to Volly? What did you smoke? And more importantly, where can I get some?
You mean he's lying about the size of the dungeons? Volly has always been pretty "straight up" with me, so I have no reason to think he'd be telling fibs about this.

Shannow said:
That aside, it is advertised for the overland map and the exploration qualities. Why did you ever think it'd be a game with great dungeon crawling?
Oh, so it does have tiny dungeons, then? Glad we cleared that up.

Partly wishful thinking, admittedly.
But also partly due to some preview articles seeming to imply it was a throwback to earlier dungeonsfests. Talk of old fashioned stuff like making a whole party from scratch and I extrapolated (wrongly) from there.

I'm not certain why the talk of overland map improvements (etc) should mean the almost total nerfing of dungeons, however. I mean, a D&D game without some decent dungeons? Blasphemy! :)

Shannow said:
I'm saying that anyone who does so and then bases all his expectations of a game on your opinion must be high.
Now, now. "All of his expectations"?. You do know what "tempered" means, right? My joyful anticipation has merely been reduced by the knowledge that there are apparently no decent dungeons. I didn't say anything like "oh well there is absolutely no hope for this game then". I like me dungeons, yessirree, but I'm not totally close minded, despite my kidding about blasphemy directly above.

Shannow said:
And contrary to what Volly claims there are many encounters and locations that are challenging for your party if you explore/meet them early.
Oh well, that's good. I'll keep my toes crossed for a positive outcome.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom