Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Storm of Zehir 10 minute walkthrough video

dagorkan

Arbiter
Jaime Lannister said:
Why is a real-time overland map bad? What games use turn-based overland maps?
I mean that time runs whether you take an action or not. Good travel systems let you look at the map and decide where you want to go. Only once you've clicked on a destination or waypoint will it start looking at encounters or events or whatever. I don't mind other groups (other than your party) having their own existence and moving on the map (at least if they add FOW), but I only want time to progress while I'm moving, when I've selected an action.

Realms of Arkania 1/2 had a great travel system, you picked a direction and then camped at the end of the day. Depending on your party and your route and skills could find things or have things happen to you along the way.

The SoZ one looks like an action game, a more elaborate Pac-man mini-game.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Do we even know if time passes while standing idle on the overhead map? Or if time even has any significance to the game?

Sodomy

Scholar
Pastel said:
Warden said:
Pastel said:
Does it make any difference what character you say something with, though? Or are all checks done before the available lines are determined?

Of course, silly. :) If someone has a rank 5 in intimidation and someone else 15, that makes a lot of difference (if [intimidation] comes as an option).
That's my point, pumpkin - if the option only shows up on a success, what will the difference be?
You've played NWN2 and MoTB, right?

Some options come up regardless of chance for success. Others require checks in order to see them in the first place.

Crichton

Prophet
I don't mind other groups (other than your party) having their own existence and moving on the map (at least if they add FOW), but I only want time to progress while I'm moving, when I've selected an action.

Do we even know if time passes while standing idle on the overhead map? Or if time even has any significance to the game?

PAUSE BUTTON FTW!

Movement on the overland map works exactly the same way as movement in any other area in NWN2 in terms of the engine, there are a few new parameters (movement across difficult terrain is slower), but the command system is identical. As for time, I don't know if any quests keep track of the date, but if friendly merchants are attacked on the overland map, you have a limited window to rescue them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom