Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Steve Jackson's Sorcery!, by inkle studios (Steam, iOS, Android)

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
So which platform is the best one for these games, pc/steam or mobile/tablet?

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
I enjoy them on mobile, especially tablet. the controls work very intuitively for touch screens, and they are the sort of game that stand head and shoulders over other mobile competition, but I feel there are more complex and immersive titles for my time on pc. Sorcery and Banner Saga are probably my favorite things to run on my tablet, whether while on a long trip, or just to take out into the woods and play for a while without being in the darkest dungeon of the desktop.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
finally finished it. i admit i am a bit burnt out in book 4 (due to libra not being there and playing them all in a row)

but that was such a great adventure. explore, investigate, fight, outwit, outspell, your enemies until the great final showdown.

the C&C is MASSIVE and i wonder how much endings there are

i got:

i take fynn to the archmage, took the book of magical prisoner, then forced the archmage to read it and he is imprisoned. in doing so, i released vasquesh or whoever the lady is, who is the previous archmage. i chose to stay in mampang so i can study magic, undo the ZEd curse and become the next archmage. the crown of kings was destroyed

the new game+ is such an awesome addition. definitely will play it at least 2 more times in the future. great game, great game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
HoboForEternity I want to add Book 4 to the Codex curator. What's unique and/or particularly noteworthy about it compared to the previous books?

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
HoboForEternity I want to add Book 4 to the Codex curator. What's unique and/or particularly worth praising in it compared to the previous books?
well for once,

little gameplay spoiler here:

positives:
-it's more "hardcore" than the previous one, since for plot reason, in the main city you cannot rewind as you please (instead there are "check point" system hidden troughout the city) (some example, there are rewind system similar to majora's mask. if you "rewind" everything you do will be undone, but you will retain items, knowledge, clues. NPC wont remember their encounter with you, but you will remember, both your character and your meta knowledge)
-it is part of the strategy on how you play the game too. for example, if you get killed by guards, or get trapped then rewind, there will be a new dialogue choice on evading those guards or trap)
-overall, it is the same experience as the previous ones, but some improvements, for example the counter spells plays a big role in this one.
-mampang is a great, memorable setting with alot of secrets to find. also probably the least linear one. (the games aren't exactly linear, but this feels the most free out of 4)
-endings are satisfying, and ALOT, i mean ALOT like TONS of ways to defeat the final boss (some of it even affected by your decisions in book 2 or 3, especially 3) aside from what i did, i figured out 2-3 more strategy to defeat the final boss, and even a super-hard to find

negatives:

-no free rewind can also be frustrating since everyone forget what you do. if you need someone's help, you have to talk and navigate trough dialouge over and over again everytime you rewind.
-it also VERY ABUSEABLE. duplicates everywhere. since you retain your items every reset, you can go back in time, buy/loot the same thing over and over again. i have like 5 sun jewels and alot of magical artifacts.
-the same thign apply for money. there are gambling place where you can obtain alot of money. because resetting retain your stuff, you don't have to worry about money cos you can always go back and play swindlestones and earn tons of coins

there you go Infinitron

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I bought Books 1 and 2 and played the first game for like about 30 minutes or so, but this is really a fun game so far. Much more enjoyable that I thought it would be. Lot's of choices and a pretty solid magic system (from what I can tell). Interesting combat system as well.

I probably didn't prepare all to well for my journey (provisions), so I expect to die of hunger relatively soon... :negative:

Gunnar

Arbiter
I bought Books 1 and 2 and played the first game for like about 30 minutes or so, but this is really a fun game so far. Much more enjoyable that I thought it would be. Lot's of choices and a pretty solid magic system (from what I can tell). Interesting combat system as well.

I probably didn't prepare all to well for my journey (provisions), so I expect to die of hunger relatively soon... :negative:

Small hint: provisions aren't all that important for the first book.

---

Arcane
They aren't important at all: in my Sorcery! 1 "perfect run" (max amount of items gathered) I didn't buy any provision during the game (there are some occasions in which you can collect free food, though). Instead, it's better to save the money for equip and magic ingredients.

Also, beware, because Chapter 2 and (especially) Chapter 3 are huuuge (I still didn't try the fourth chapter - thanks, fucking work & life :negative:), and muuuch more complex than the first game :)

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Chapter 2, 3 and 4 are waaaaay bigger. 2 introduce us to this huge sprawling city, 3 have new timeywiney mechanics and 4 give us the majora's mask rewind mechanics as well as spell counter.

They are all brilliant games

Darkzone

Arcane
I have bought them in October, but still didn't managed to play them. Are they like the play books?

Gunnar

Arbiter
I have bought them in October, but still didn't managed to play them. Are they like the play books?

Yeah they're just games made from the books. There are some minor differences, like in the books you would cast a spell from a pool of words and if you got it wrong you would lose stamina, that doesn't happen in the game. I've only played 1&2 so far though, the others could diverge more.

---

Arcane
There are a lot of major changes in the narrative and in the C&C.
Overall, no.

Yeah they're just games made from the books. There are some minor differences, like in the books you would cast a spell from a pool of words and if you got it wrong you would lose stamina, that doesn't happen in the game. I've only played 1&2 so far though, the others could diverge more.
Well, the third one is basically an entire new game. Completely different from the book. And so the fourth chapter (from what I heard - I still didn't play it).

Darkzone

Arcane
Tried the first part yesterday out and i recommend it for those who have not bought it yet. Simply made, but a lot of fun.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Just finishing the 4th chapter up, the first 3 games were absolute gems, underrated even on the Codex, and they're sold for literally 3 bux. The 4th I find infuriating because there's a necessary amount of backtracking in and out of the old colleges which doesn't fit the engine very well, but still is pretty much the same quality.

Cael

Arcane
Wow! Steve Jackson has been milking the Sorcery! series for almost 30 years now. True classics.

Ivan

Arcane
Finished Part 2. This is pretty great stuff! While I wasn't won over by the gameplay twist of Part 2, I'm entering Part 3 with some pretty big setbacks:
no dosh, and I burned my spellbook LULZ

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
I played the books when I was a kid (also lone wolf, the King-Arthur-sarcastic-serie, the D&D adaptations; which are great btw, especially the mini serie about the mage Carling).

Huge shit in italy...but I must confess I didn't really play them... I just bought them for the story, and read them like that.

Wut iz this? Is it like the Lone Wolf mobile app that let you plays the books for free?

---

Arcane
Nope, they are actual games based on the books.
There are so many differences from the books (especially in the 3rd and 4th part) that they are almost an original piece of work.

Good differences.

Cael

Arcane
I played the books when I was a kid (also lone wolf, the King-Arthur-sarcastic-serie, the D&D adaptations; which are great btw, especially the mini serie about the mage Carling).

Huge shit in italy...but I must confess I didn't really play them... I just bought them for the story, and read them like that.

Wut iz this? Is it like the Lone Wolf mobile app that let you plays the books for free?
The King Arthur one you are refering to is called Grail Quest. 8 books in all, and the hero is called Pip.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Played the first one... it's funny because I couldn't believe I would remember part of it after so many years (especially the unmistakable art).

It is quite enjoyable and now I am playing the 2nd part... but at first I thought the first module to be quite short, so I couldn't resist and found a walkthrough online and it seems I managed to miss like half the content :(

---

Arcane
The 2nd part is much bigger and better. I consider the first one almost an... introduction, a prologue.

The 3rd and 4th parts are even bigger and more complex. You'll spend literally hours trying to take a certain path or to obtain a certain item.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
I am playing the 2nd part and I am pretty sure I already missed lot of necessary things... do I recall wrong or you need all the lines. I am certain that I missed some already.

---

Arcane
You need all the lines, yes. One is particularly hard to find. If you don't have all of them, at the end of the game you can
time-travel at the beginning of the chapter - you maintain your items/gold, but you loose permanently a point of health - to search for the remaining ones. You can time-travel as many times as you want, but every time you loose health, and every time you are forced to fully re-play the entire chapter.

Shinji

Savant
A little off-topic, but Dragon's Crown is getting a special "Pro" version, and there is a digital gamebook (based on the same game) included with it. It's similar to Sorcery in some ways.

Here's a video showing some gameplay (in Japanese)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom