Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stellaris - Paradox new sci-fi grand strategy game

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
my bet is that next DLC will be about tiles and afterthat diplomacy, and then trade. Trade is damn dead and rudimentary, just like diplomacy but not as important
JitteryNarrowDuckbillcat-size_restricted.gif

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Under the new planetary management system, the pops of Machine Empires will be organized quite differently and have different needs from those of their former organic masters...
index.php
index.php

Nirvash

Liturgist
Ok, titles were boring pointless micro.

But then there is very little to do in the game.

Tigranes

Arcane
I'm glad that next time I have to explain Theseus' Ship to somebody, I can link them to a video game patch history

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
In the next major update, the upkeep of pops is dependent on their strata - a pop from the ruling class requires far more luxury goods. Different living standards affect this gap by increasing or further decreasing luxuries for lower class pops - with resulting happiness effects.
Under Utopian Abundance, class is virtually eliminated and all pops have the same (max) luxury goods cost. This makes for a happy and stable populace - that is very expensive to maintain.

Diyt5NwW0AEFLud.jpg

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Under the new planet management system, how you use your district slots will shape the ways you can develop a planet - city districts give lots of housing for pops and infrastructure to support buildings with specialized jobs, but come at the expense of raw resource production.
index.php

looks more and more like a better moo3. now it only needs working diplomacy/espionage and a complete rework of terraforming and habitability. i mean, come on, what the hell, i can build teleporting spaceships and starbases as big as moons but as soon as the landscape changes my people can't live anymore? no air conditioning in this universe? but somehow, all the planets have the same atmosphere and same gravity, or instead they don't matter at all.
by game's standards, humans should have +100% habitability. at least.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
looks more and more like a better moo3. now it only needs working diplomacy/espionage and a complete rework of terraforming and habitability. i mean, come on, what the hell, i can build teleporting spaceships and starbases as big as moons but as soon as the landscape changes my people can't live anymore? no air conditioning in this universe? but somehow, all the planets have the same atmosphere and same gravity, or instead they don't matter at all.
by game's standards, humans should have +100% habitability. at least.

This is also,why the abstraction of population system to these dragged pops is horrible idea. You cant reasonably depict a difference between a 2000 mining colony and a 25 billion world. It is either 1 pop planet or 25 pop planet at most. You cant make one pop ultra rich mining colony on asteroid, it will be still pretty crap in terms of mineral production. You can argue that there are robots, and you can use them, but robot pops feel weird, when it would just be autonomous mining outpost with nothing sort of "humanoid" semi sentient robots. Rather it would be a bunch of automatic conveyors, self driving vehicles and excavators.
I really like sliders, or even passing values by popup windows.

Last edited:

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Patch Changelog:

- Remade the game from the ground up. See twenty-page changelog bellow.

I bet whoever is responsible for this mess they're only now fixing, heard some screaming in Pdox
I think it i the contrary. They were very dissatisfied at the state Stellaris have been rleased and now thye are fixing things as they wanted.
The bad thing is that they are doing it at our expense.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
BUILD
THE
WALL
A peek at the new migration mechanics coming to @StellarisGame along with the planetary rework at an indetermine point in the future. Numbers are of course non-final and whatnot/
If anything, the new system will see far more diverse planets if you have a lot of migration treaties etc. More details in future DDs.
Also overpopulation is in
Djc7EGiWwAEr-jk.jpg:large

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Stellaris Dev Diary #120 - New Economy System

Hello and welcome back to the Stellaris dev diaries! Today we're going to start talking about the next major update, which we have dubbed 2.2 'Le Guin' after Ursula K. Le Guin. Right now we're not ready to reveal anything about the precise nature of the update or whether it is accompanied by any DLC, other than to say that the Le Guin will have focus on trade and the economy, and that its release date is far away. Today's dev diary is going to be a bit on the foundational side, going over the new economic back-end we've implemented for 2.2.

New Economy System
The original economy system for Stellaris has always been something of a limitation for us. It's a sort of hybrid system, with resources being both scripted (and thus accessible to modders) and hard-coded (and thus inaccessible) in about equal measures. For example, under the old system ships would always cost minerals, as the code was set up for them to always cost minerals, and the only thing you could change was the amount of minerals they cost. Similarly, most things in the game that had an upkeep were hard-coded to use energy for upkeep, and again, only the amounts were able to be changed. A few things (such as for example Resettlement or the precise resources produced by a building) were more open than this, but generally the system made it quite hard to introduce new resources or change the way a particular empire might use a particular resource. The old system was also quite performance-intensive.

When we decided that we wanted to make the next major update be about the economy, the first thing we knew that we needed to do was to rewrite this system entirely. For the new system, we set out a number of goals:
1: The new system should make it easy to add new resources and swap the way resources are used
2: The new system should be as open to modding as we possibly could make it
3: The new system should improve performance

From this, we've created a new system that we call Economic Templates. Where previously there would be a jumble of different systems for how cost, production and maintenance of the different features in the game would work, there is now one unified system. Any single object in the game that can be owned by an empire and have an impact on the economy is called an Economic Unit. In the database files, an Economic Unit looks like this:

Code:
resources = {
category = armies

# Normal empires pay for armies with minerals
cost = {
trigger = {
owner = { is_hive_empire = no }
}
minerals = 100
}

# Hive Minds pay for armies partially with food
cost = {
trigger = {
owner = { is_hive_empire = yes }
}
minerals = 50
food = 50
}

# If Barbaric Despoilers, produce Energy while on enemy planets
produces = {
trigger = {
owner = { has_valid_civic = civic_barbaric_despoilers }
planet = { owner = { is_at_war_with = root.owner } }
}
energy = 3
}

# Normal empires pay army upkeep with energy
upkeep = {
trigger = {
owner = { is_hive_empire = no }
}
energy = 1
}

# Hive Minds pay army upkeep with food
upkeep = {
trigger = {
owner = { is_hive_empire = yes }
}
food = 1
}
}

For those who cannot read our scripting language, this is an example I just created of how the new system can be used. It's for a regular assault army, which normally costs 100 minerals to build and has an upkeep of 1 energy, just as before. However, if your empire is a Hive Mind, the army will instead cost 50 minerals and 50 food, and costs 1 food in upkeep instead of 1 energy. Additionally, if you have the Barbaric Despoilers civic, armies that are located on enemy planets will produce 3 energy/month, paying for themselves and then some through wide-scale looting. This isn't an actual example from the internal build, but something I just created while writing this dev diary to show the possibilities that the new economic system opens up for for both us and modders - we could have fully biological empires that use food instead of minerals to build infrastructure, ships that produce research while in certain systems, leaders that give Unity... the possibilities are endless.
index.php

Advanced Resources
With this system in place, we've been able to add several new 'advanced' resources to the game. They are as follows: Alloys, Rare Crystals, Volatile Motes and Exotic Gases. These resources are either manufactured from basic resources or found in rare planetary deposits (or both!) and are used to construct more advanced things in the game, such as ship components, megastructures, certain buildings and so on. There is also still a number of strategic resources such as Dark Matter and Living Metal that provide unique benefits, though precisely how many of these we will keep and how they are used is something we're still in the process of figuring out.

As part of these changes we're also in the process of reworking the top bar. Since we will now have rather too many resources to show them all, the top bar will now only show individual entries for resources that are important for your empire to always keep track of, with the rest shown as a consolidated entry that can be tooltiped for greater detail. Science is also consolidated into a total output of all 3 sciences, with tooltip showing the individual production of each. We're going to ensure that only relevant resources are shown individually, so most Machine Empires wouldn't have Food appear as an individual entry in the top bar, for example. We're also considering letting the player manually override this and decide which precise resources they want to keep track of within the available topbar space.

(Please note that the new topbar is nowhere near final and will have some ugly graphical issues. This is not how it will look on release)
index.php

That's all for today! I know this dev diary was rather technical and perhaps primarily of interest to modders, but I felt it was important to explain the fundamental changes that have taken place in the game's back-end, both in relation to the changes coming in 2.2, and the possibilities that this opens up in the future for having empire types with radically different approaches to resource production and consumption. Next week we're going to finally start talking about the new Planetary Management system. See you then!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom