Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stellaris - Paradox new sci-fi grand strategy game

Forcing players to do nothing for 30 mins in order to be allowed to do something is always bad.

I've started playing Stellaris with this update, before I just touched it a bit.

So far I'm liking it, exploring things with my science ships, building outposts and mines, colonizing worlds, etc. Interface seems a bit janky, tho?

Honestly I find the whole "Build Outpost, System is yours" system simplistic. System is full of planets, but I build an outpost, and its now mine forever? Honestly that's simplistic. Remember MoO2, SEIV and other games where you could have multiple colonizers in a system? It would also make the claim system make far more sense if it could lead to colonial border disputes, rather than "lol this planet are mine by rite nao".

Dat diplomacy, tho. Granted, I'm playing my Brotherhood of Steel as Xenophobic, but damn, that diplomacy is just primitive for Pdox standards.

Is there a way for non-robots to start with a subject "race"? I wanted to make my Brotherhood as a small elite of warriors and scientist-monks, with the rest being handled by a separate populace that would represent the post-apoc survivors of the Fallout world that are friendly to the Brotherhood.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Diplomacy is the focus of the next patches/expansions afaik

About the non-robots with subject race, I'm pretty sure I did that once with some form of Caste system but I can't remember exactly what I chose :P

Syncretic Evolution is the civic. Doesn't require slavery but the 2nd race gets an automatic bonus making it a better drone-type race for working mines and farms.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Average Manatee gotta say sorry if I sounded a bit assholy before, its not my style and you seem like a cool dude. I just get tired of the negativity some times is all. No homo.

Mortmal

Arcane
Turns out they completely fucked up the end game crisis, they diddnt even bother to scale them to the new system,so overpowered its like building a card castle on ground and let the dog run in. Dont buy this shit seriously.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Syncretic Evolution is the civic. Doesn't require slavery but the 2nd race gets an automatic bonus making it a better drone-type race for working mines and farms.

The coolest thing you could've done with it is to give it to a xenophobe species. Then, right at the game's start, you could've turned the other species into livestock slavery, making them produce 6 food from the get-go, providing you with a rather explosive growth. Seems to be bugged right now, though.

The coolest thing you could've done with it is to give it to a xenophobe species. Then, right at the game's start, you could've turned the other species into livestock slavery, making them produce 6 food from the get-go, providing you with a rather explosive growth. Seems to be bugged right now, though.

Ehh, not even that good. Food overflow is very inefficient. Stack mineral modifiers instead. You can get like +70% to mineral output from day one.

Turns out they completely fucked up the end game crisis, they diddnt even bother to scale them to the new system,so overpowered its like building a card castle on ground and let the dog run in. Dont buy this shit seriously.

Wasn't that hard at all for me and I set them to spawn in 2300 (actually I think they always take around 50 years for the events to play out and for them to spawn). Took me around 50 years to get a navy capable to fighting them but they kind of suck at blobbing and they are easy to push back wherever their fleets aren't. Of course the other AI empires are equally shit at fighting, so you'll eventually have to do all the hard work yourself.

I'm doing a new game as a pacifist inward perfectionist just to see how overpowered I become sitting still and doing nothing. It's only 80 years in and I have 8 habitats, +600 mineral income, not far from getting ringworlds. Have crises set to 2x but I'm wondering if I should edit the save game and put it at 5x for the lulz.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
How "Aggressive" do you set the AIs? Also what difficulty?
I'm not having such a relaxed time at all

Mortmal

Arcane

Ehh, not even that good. Food overflow is very inefficient. Stack mineral modifiers instead. You can get like +70% to mineral output from day one.

Wasn't that hard at all for me and I set them to spawn in 2300 (actually I think they always take around 50 years for the events to play out and for them to spawn). Took me around 50 years to get a navy capable to fighting them but they kind of suck at blobbing and they are easy to push back wherever their fleets aren't. Of course the other AI empires are equally shit at fighting, so you'll eventually have to do all the hard work yourself.

I'm doing a new game as a pacifist inward perfectionist just to see how overpowered I become sitting still and doing nothing. It's only 80 years in and I have 8 habitats, +600 mineral income, not far from getting ringworlds. Have crises set to 2x but I'm wondering if I should edit the save game and put it at 5x for the lulz.
Medium galaxy crisis at 0.5X, i just got two fallen empire awakening they can field only one fleet of around 80k each, i can field 3X50K . Contingency crisis spawn 4 machine worlds at random , one is in the middle of my empire, the other two ont he borders and only one in a fallen empire. Each of those machine world is protected by a 180K high tech fleet+ 35 K of base , 2-3 fleets of 75K spawn too. Then they keep spawning 75K fleets as soon one is destroyed, expanding everywhere with no resistance from the AI. Also crippled by the ghost signal halving my production , until i sucessfully research the project.Its unplayable and untested, paradox has zero respect towards its customers.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
So what is your point that the crisis should be weak enough that you can crush it immediately as it spawns? You say you have 150k fleet and they only have a bit stronger fleets guarding their planets... Doesn't seem so bad to me.

Mortmal

Arcane
So what is your point that the crisis should be weak enough that you can crush it immediately as it spawns? You say you have 150k fleet and they only have a bit stronger fleets guarding their planets... Doesn't seem so bad to me.
3X50K vs 180k+3X75K+35K and better tech to , right in the middle of the empire, and impossible to rebuild them immediately all of that at 0.5 crisis scale. Its unplayable .

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Imo crises are not supposed to be beaten within 10 years of their appearance or something like that. They are supposed to wreck the galaxy and create a new status quo until you (or someone else) builds up enough power to defeat them.
Also from the numbers you say, I don't see it impossible but you of course need to have a patient approach... which is hard since they spawned in your empire. I guess that's the worst part and is simply bad luck...

Mortmal

Arcane
Imo crises are not supposed to be beaten within 10 years of their appearance or something like that. They are supposed to wreck the galaxy and create a new status quo until you (or someone else) builds up enough power to defeat them.
Also from the numbers you say, I don't see it impossible but you of course need to have a patient approach... which is hard since they spawned in your empire. I guess that's the worst part and is simply bad luck...
Not only that , but the slow travel time dont help plus it can completely close lanes . Fleet reinforcement can become a nightmare they path through enemy system, its just a chore.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Not only that , but the slow travel time dont help plus it can completely close lanes . Fleet reinforcement can become a nightmare they path through enemy system, its just a chore.
You can always resort to hit and run tactics for some time until you can extract as much technologies from the wreckage to update your fleets.
Hit a 75k fleet with your 150k forces and run back to a citadel you have nicely reinforced somewhere. Repeat until you get up to par technologically and then go on the offensive

Mortmal

Arcane
You can always resort to hit and run tactics for some time until you can extract as much technologies from the wreckage to update your fleets.
Hit a 75k fleet with your 150k forces and run back to a citadel you have nicely reinforced somewhere. Repeat until you get up to par technologically and then go on the offensive

Its jut not possible, theres 4 machine worlds like that and they keep expanding only focusing me, ignoring the other empires, so fleet capacity and production keep going down, while their fleet expand , there's stacks everywhere. Its hilariously overpowered.

Medium galaxy crisis at 0.5X, i just got two fallen empire awakening they can field only one fleet of around 80k each, i can field 3X50K . Contingency crisis spawn 4 machine worlds at random , one is in the middle of my empire, the other two ont he borders and only one in a fallen empire. Each of those machine world is protected by a 180K high tech fleet+ 35 K of base , 2-3 fleets of 75K spawn too. Then they keep spawning 75K fleets as soon one is destroyed, expanding everywhere with no resistance from the AI. Also crippled by the ghost signal halving my production , until i sucessfully research the project.Its unplayable and untested, paradox has zero respect towards its customers.

Are you running sapient AI? The ghost signal also nerfs those ships and it can't be blocked like the pop thing. In any case the way to power in Stellaris is ringworlds, habitats, and killing fallen empires to take their OP worlds with OP buildings. If you can kill an FE you should always do so.

In any case crises are still pretty much bullshit where either you can win or you don't. This update was "supposed" to fix doomstack battles being all or nothing but because the chance to withdraw is per hit, and crises have roughly +300% damage bonuses, you actually never get withdrawal chances and lose everything. Go no retreat if you can.

Last edited:

Hellion

Arcane
They've already just released a small patch for Apocalypse/2.0.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...s-2-0-1-patch-released-checksum-fb8b.1073428/

Here's the contents of this patch:
  • Fixed processing/grid amalgamation/livestock purge types being broken
  • Fixed a bug where a fleet split from its parent would forget the previous hyperspace jump and get stuck in systems with FTL inhibitors indefinitely
  • Fixed several out of sync bugs in multiplayer
  • Fixed some missing/broken localization in various languages
  • Fixed upgrading ships wrongly having their XP deleted
  • Fixed some UI visibility issues on certain screen resolutions
  • Fixed misleading costs displayed for building mining/research stations
  • Fixed Admirals being unassigned from a fleet during combat
  • Fixed FTL inhibition effect not being removed when you downgrade a starbase

Mortmal

Arcane

Are you running sapient AI? The ghost signal also nerfs those ships and it can't be blocked like the pop thing. In any case the way to power in Stellaris is ringworlds, habitats, and killing fallen empires to take their OP worlds with OP buildings. If you can kill an FE you should always do so.

In any case crises are still pretty much bullshit where either you can win or you don't. This update was "supposed" to fix doomstack battles being all or nothing but because the chance to withdraw is per hit, and crises have roughly +300% damage bonuses, you actually never get withdrawal chances and lose everything. Go no retreat if you can.
Yes i should have took the fallen empires first, crisis happened right after they awakened although, that was specially poor timing.

One of the really annoying parts of the new claim system is that it's impossible to get anywhere quickly. If the FE with 3 ringworlds to take spawns near you, say hello to easy mode. If its on the other side of the galaxy then forget about it. Can't even claim through wormholes.

Spot the empire with 800 pops (5x nearest competitor), a navy that makes even fallen empires inferior, and is equivalent tech to insane difficulty AI (massive fucking cheaters are nigh impossible to equal normally).

XHTxd3L.jpg

So yeah, just not blobbing beyond basic mineral needs, rushing habitats and spamming the fuck out of them (eventually ringworlds) is OP as hell. Only two wars the entire game and one was killing an FE. Haven't even fully assimilated the FE or inhabited my ringworld, would probably gain another +1.5k minerals from that. Downside is that I have 80% support for materialist faction, which means I can't switch to militarist/fanatic xenophobe and actually conquer things in a reasonable time frame.

Game is really slowing down now. More than during my other huge game where I was just conquering shit. It must actually be some ridiculous UI issue where having too much shit to show to the player grinds the game to a halt. Just gonna let the AI take over and see if it still manages to fail.

Can't even claim through wormholes.
Really? That's weird because Influence costs are calculated as if it's "one jump". I guess it's a bug

Distance calculation takes into account wormholes, but ability to claim or rival doesn't consider wormhole a border. Probably a bug indeed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom