Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stellaris - Paradox new sci-fi grand strategy game

Riel

Arcane
if there's something i'd like to see in a space 4x is dynamic borders and skirmished without war declaration. civ4 has the former, but i'd like to see something more dramatic, and asking for the moon i'd like to be able to move them through diplomacy. endless legend tried the latter: when there isn't a peace treaty you're free to attack other units in neutral regions and in your own, and in this case the ai won't even get angry. what we have now are fixed borders set in stone which won't move ever. you'll never claim property of a system because you have huge colonies nearby. i want the means to fight for the annexion of macau, or its indipendence, depending which side i'm on.
of the map in stellaris was fluid, now it's exactly like any other paradox game.

It is important to note that for hard and solid borders to exists they must be accepted by all parts with influence in the area, so for a system like that to exist borders should not emanate from some abstract values like influence, population, etc but from diplomatic negotiations, endless SPACE's idea of starting in cold war could actually be a good foundation for that system if peace treaties included the negotiation of mutually recognized territories, in that regarf close inhabited planets, military bases, military presence and economic activities could be all meshed together into an score system so that some system are cheaper to claim than others.

Yeah, Stellaris is weird. It has Endless Space/Legend's cold war system... for about 30s of game time until you figure out that the spacecraft you're shooting at is actually piloted by an intelligent creature that is part of a political system. Then even Fanatical Purifiers have to step back and obey THE LAW: No attacking without a formal declaration of war!

MoO had skirmishing without war as well. Sometimes the AI would just decide to invade your planet, and it was up to you if you wanted to formally start a war or just take it back and see if they'd declare war themselves or buzz off. Also led to very realistic situations where a Bulrathi fleet was above your planet dropping nukes, you shot them down only to be met with "We cannot tolerate your aggressive actions against our vessels, prepare for destruction!".

I want to like Stellaris but I keep finding that I need to mod more intresting mechanics into it in order to enjoy the game. It's okay with Alphamod and some dumb race mods so the Asari can initiate racial cleansing on Anime Girls. But the vanilla game should be more meaningful.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Also the mechanics prevented you to spam outposts everywhere.
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
You couldn't spam 200 outposts because you'd end with negative influence... Or have they changed it from 1.0?

whatevername

Arcane
Also the mechanics prevented you to spam outposts everywhere.
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?
You couldn't spam 200 outposts because you'd end with negative influence... Or have they changed it from 1.0?
Surely you jest.
mr2zyx.jpg

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Can we see number of outposts? So far we can see only number of spaceports and negative influence growth.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
whatevername

You'd be pissed, I just seen they nerfed Galactic Projection perk. First they fucked borders, now they nerfed ascension perks instead of creating more to encourage diversity...

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Raghar, you should really be playing the game with the Expanded Ascension Perks mod. Along with the Cultural Overhaul and one of the expanded traditions mods. Then add in a few trait mods, and you will see that you can basically build any kind of faction you want. The game's scripting/modding options are pretty powerful.

Vanilla Stellaris should be something people learn the game on, not something they seriously play.

Which basically also goes for EU3/4, Vic 2 and HoI3/4. It's going to hurt when 2.0 comes out, and 95% of my mods become unplayable for weeks and weeks.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I think games should be played as original developers released them.

Using mods should be optional, not necessity, and proper modders would make theirs mods towards latest stable pirated version to ensure compatibility and long time stability.

as an old and tried pirate with a conscience, i strongly disagree. i grew up with games boxes filled with any kind of marvels, posters, shirts, novels, action figures, anything which would fit. buying was worth it. nowadays mods are the last added value which differentiates warez from official release.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
For Paradox games, mods are a huge value add, which is why PDS runs entire Dev Diaries on modding capabilities/improvements in games like HOI4 and Stellaris.

Raghar's attitude to vanilla is understandable, but honestly I can no longer see myself playing PDX games the way they're intended by the devs, when doing that means losing most of the depth/breadth of the content available.

HOI4 without BICE/KR/August Storm/R56 is half a game.

Stellaris without the mods mentioned in my previous post, as well as a bunch of others (Kurogane, Tall White, NSC8, AlphaMod etc), ditto.

Norfleet

whatevername

You'd be pissed, I just seen they nerfed Galactic Projection perk. First they fucked borders, now they nerfed ascension perks instead of creating more to encourage diversity...
I don't think that "fucked" borders is an accurate assessment of the situation. They basically completely threw the system out and redid it. Whether or not the results are "fucked" remains to be seen.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Played a bit. The game is completely different. I like it so far and mainly the tension the initial planet grab provides so far. You really think where to expand and when because you slowly slowly form your borders with the neighboring empires and you have to take care of your chokepoints etc

Mortmal

Arcane
whatevername

I don't think that "fucked" borders is an accurate assessment of the situation. They basically completely threw the system out and redid it. Whether or not the results are "fucked" remains to be seen.
yes its almost as if they released stellaris 2. Waging war is a lot more convenient now and stations means something, you can protect chokepoints, it protects them so good i notice the AI mid game wasnt even able to plan and launch attacks anymore.That and the space mongols settling next to me it probably prevented all attacks and broke the AI. Space travel seems a bit too slow for my taste too.

the problem with chokepoints is that you spend centuries and an ungodly amount of resources to use them to win a war, conquer even a single system past them and suddenly they're useless. fortresses should always give some sort of other military bonus.

edit: i wanted to add some banter.
i have a problem with most of the concepts of planet destroyers. most of the times they're treated like huge, slow, lumbering death machines brought to the battlefield to humiliate an already succumbing enemy. why would i take away from myself some easy to get resources? it makes no sense.
a planet destroyer should be a missile, an orc running with a huge bomb in hand, whose only purpose is to completely remove something you can't get otherwise. "if i can't have it, noone will ever", with severe diplomatic repercussions.

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
yes its almost as if they released stellaris 2. Waging war is a lot more convenient now and stations means something, you can protect chokepoints, it protects them so good i notice the AI mid game wasnt even able to plan and launch attacks anymore.That and the space mongols settling next to me it probably prevented all attacks and broke the AI. Space travel seems a bit too slow for my taste too.
So they removed free travel to allow choke points, and now AI is unable to make any gains? Adding into it a problem of fallen empire on one side, and fanatic purifiers on the other side of only two star lanes that went from your empire? Simultaneously slowing down travel on lanes to previous free travel, and nerfed every ascension perk thus empires are less unique?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom