Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Stellaris - Paradox new sci-fi grand strategy game

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by Perkel, Aug 6, 2015.

1. trais Arcane

trais
    Parrots:
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Click here and disable ads!
    If the debuff will be insignificant enough, you will just bite the bullet and doomstack as normal, and if it would cripple your fleets then you will just cycle - emergency retreat the first one, then immediately hit the enemy with second one and so on. Essentially the same effect, but with more tedium of managing sub-fleets.

I cannot understand why people a cheering Paradox for cutting out feature sets that made the game somewhat unique, instead of fixing them where they're broken. Fucking brainless fanboys.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. LizardWizard Savant

LizardWizard
    Parrots:
    CK2 is their best seller and that's without factoring in accurate Gamergate numbers where it was originally released.

Also it appears that Stellaris has jumped Eu4 in steam sales as well.

^ Top  
  3. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    Parrots:
    The mess is that Stellaris has a broken movement paradigm where FTL between systems is far quicker than STL in systems

Main difference is that MoO doesn't have magical impenetrable border during peace or magic EU4 space forts during war. The idea that your ships can't fly somewhere due to space borders is ludicrous.

wtf?

^ Top  
  4. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    Parrots:
    Endless space allowed SLOW travel outside lanes.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Jimmious Arcane

Jimmious
    Parrots:
    Man the BUTTHURT in the Stellaris forum is glorious. People really like to LARP their favorite scifi series ingame apparently and the different FTL travel methods were vital for that

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    Parrots:
    Can't really blame them. Paradox is removing game features and the feature they are removing is probably the most important feature with regards to empire uniqueness and game replayability. Aside from what hyperdrive you use the only real decision that matters is whether you go for research ("tall") or minerals ("smart"), all of the other empire customization options are about focusing on one of those two. I guess games shouldn't be released in an early alpha state where major features might need to be scrapped?

^ Top  
  7. Jimmious Arcane

Jimmious
    Parrots:
    I kinda agree but simultaneously the game simply didn't work with all these funky FTL travel systems and so on. I really dont think there was a way to improve the tremendously boring combat other than this

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  8. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    Parrots:
    The game "worked" just fine. To draw an analogy, Checkers "works" as a game, Chess is a better game, but plenty of people still like to play Checkers.

I agree that the new FTL setup creates a better overall game but it also creates a new game and it's not invalid to like the old one. It's a fundamentally different type of change from e.g. CK2 adding in that coaltion bullshit (which was eventually disablable in options anyway!)

Stellaris combat is unsalvageable, anyone who thinks FTL has anything to do with the problems is delusional.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. thesheeep Arcane

thesheeep
    Parrots:
    I'm having fun right now, LARPing my way through the Star Trek mod as the ruthless Sheliak Corporate.
    And what kind of intelligent life do I meet first?
    Ferengi :?

^ Top  
  10. ThisNameIsFree Learned

ThisNameIsFree
    Parrots:
    They have a point thought. In current state Stellaris only good for LARPing purposes :lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Grif Learned

Grif
    Parrots:
    More or less. But at least it's a very forgiving sandbox.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. MadMaxHellfire Magister

MadMaxHellfire
    Parrots:
    all they had to do was to force travels through the nearest ftl inhibitor, as citadels do in eu4. after all if good placing of inhibitors fucks up your invasions plans it's all the defenders merit.
    fuck removing fun =_=

• Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Prime Junta Arcane

Prime Junta
    Parrots:
    Combat is unsalvageable but warfare isn’t. I approve of this change.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Jason Liang Cipher

Jason Liang
    Parrots:
    I read through that whole post. I can understand why they would change Wormholes, the Wormhole generator implementation was stupid to begin with. But why get rid of warp drives? They're just being lazy.

Warp+Hyperlane seems like the obvious win-win.

Also, the obvious way to differentiate Wormholes from Hyperlanes is to make all Wormholes (even the natural ones) one-way only. Enter at your own risk.

^ Top  
  15. `Hellion Arbiter

`Hellion
    Parrots:
    Sneak peek of the upcoming War Goals system:

[​IMG]

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    Parrots:
    inb4 space diplomats required to fabricate claims on systems?

• Funny Funny x 9
    ^ Top  
  17. thesheeep Arcane

thesheeep
    Parrots:
    "I'm a space diplomat!"

^ Top  
  18. Alexios Educated

Alexios
    Parrots:
    dead fucking game lmao

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    Parrots:
    You can use the old pirated version.

^ Top  
  20. trais Arcane

trais
    Parrots:
    Most likely just pay influence for instant claim. Resource management, you see, choices and consequences. Deep (derp) gameplay, such improvements, much wow.

^ Top  
  21. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    Parrots:
    Here I was expecting it just to be a "select provinces that you'd be interested in" system like how EU4 handles provinces of interest (which lets you see where the AI is angry about expanding and where it wants to blob). But requiring influence to conquer is definitely the kind of shit Paradox would add to slow down expansion. If that's it then Influence is now literally paper mana.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Space Satan Arcane

Space Satan
    Parrots:
    Setting demands on victory at least will make game interesting. EUIV had many flaws but war demand system is not one of them

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. trais Arcane

trais
    Parrots:
    In EU you're not bound by claims, you can demand whatever territory you want in peace "negotiations". In EU4 specifically, claims are basically casi belli + slightly less expensive coring afterwards. Might be the same here, but I have a suspicion that it won't.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Jason Liang Cipher

Jason Liang
    Parrots:
    Yeah I think it's a terrible idea. Let Stelllaris be Stellaris, not CK2/ EU IV in space. Like the way Alpha Centauri ended up its own unique thing, not "Civ II in space."

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Space Satan Arcane

Space Satan
    Parrots:
    Current Stellaris is a piece of boring and tedious shit.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)