Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Stellaris - Paradox new sci-fi grand strategy game

Discussion in 'Strategy Gaming' started by Perkel, Aug 6, 2015.

1. RhodokMasterRaceOfficialgender: ⚧ Savant

RhodokMasterRaceOfficial
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    It's never going to be "great" until the pop system and tile management get hurled into a fire and replaced with what Vic2 had. I still think it's better than basically every other modern (like, post 2010) sci-fi 4x, though. It's at least got variety even if it's meaningless, all of the others are literally just Civ 5 at their best and Civ 5 with some dumb combat system that makes you draw cards (wtf) at their worst.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Make America Great Again IDtenTgender: ⚧ Contact me for a good time Patron

IDtenT
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Yeah, they should have gone with Vicky II pops from the start. Not going to happen now, obviously.

• Despair Despair x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. I'm With Her Vaarna_Aarnegender: ⚧ for prison Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    Parrots:
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    As much as I love Vicky 2, there are some things about it that I don't wish to see again in their original form. One of those is soldier pops. The regiment building system is made into too much of a hassle because it's tied to provinces and states rather than a single pool, and it'd still be preferable to do away with regiments entirely in favor of a mobilization based system. Another thing would be reducing the number of obfuscated factors affecting pops or reworking them to a more functional and apparent form, like the mysterious ways in which RGO employment and general wages work.

But anyway yea having pops in Stellaris actually represent something numerically would be nice, even if it wouldn't do anything besides make up some number based on number of pops. Tile management needs to have something done about it tho, so you don't pull out your hair when the sector AI fucks up.

^ Top  
  4. Make America Great Again IDtenTgender: ⚧ Contact me for a good time Patron

IDtenT
    Parrots:
    Tile management doesn't even make sense. Sixteen tiles on the entire Earth? It's completely out of place for the scale of the universe.

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. thesheeepgender: ⚧ Arcane

thesheeep
    Parrots:
    Why?
    One factory in China, one factory in Germany, a bunch of robots in Japan, ...

^ Top  
  6. Make America Great Again Average Manateegender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    Parrots:
    Any more would just be micromanagement hell. I mean the newly added Machine races are already hell since you have to keep robots building on all of your planets in addition to building buildings when they are done. In an MP where people wouldn't want you pausing I'd bet its unplayable.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. fantadomatgender: ⚧ Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    Yeah i would love to see a real star/si-fi game.Something like Aurora with some AAA visuals and UI,and little bit streamlining will be the best si-fi strategy game ever.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Mortmalgender: ⚧ Arcane

Mortmal
    Parrots:
    Would be absolutely hell to do that in mp without pause.Sins of a solar empire is a lot better for that.

^ Top  
  9. whatevernamegender: ⚧ Erudite

whatevername
    Parrots:
    There's zero micromanagement when you play with only 1 planet.

• Old Old x 6
    ^ Top  
  10. RhodokMasterRaceOfficialgender: ⚧ Savant

RhodokMasterRaceOfficial
    Parrots:
    you really suck at video games if you ever actually had to pause in Sins

^ Top  
  11. Make America Great Again IDtenTgender: ⚧ Contact me for a good time Patron

IDtenT
    Parrots:
    Not necessarily asking for more micromanagement. Just better abstraction. Economic philosophies, etc. The tiles abstract in a completely unrealistic way.

^ Top  
  12. RhodokMasterRaceOfficialgender: ⚧ Savant

RhodokMasterRaceOfficial
    Parrots:
    I don't even know what a tile and a pop actually represents. Billions of people? But then you're telling me my colonies start with billions people on them after 3 points in expansion? It's too abstract. Needs to be replaced with vicky2's system.

^ Top  
  13. `Helliongender: ⚧ Learned

`Hellion
    Parrots:
    During certain events when 1 pop ends up being killed by something, the corresponding event window states that "an entire city was destroyed on planet X" or something like that. So I guess 1 pop is supposed to represent 1 city, whatever its exact population size is.

^ Top  
  14. fantadomatgender: ⚧ Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    So we on earth can have only 8 cities?!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Mortmalgender: ⚧ Arcane

Mortmal
    Parrots:
    No, i mean sins can be playable without pause, while stellaris is hellish without .

^ Top  
  16. Make America Great Again Alienmangender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I'm guessing it's Mega cities like in Judge Dredd :)

• incline incline x 4
    ^ Top  
  17. Jimmiousgender: ⚧ Magister

Jimmious
    Parrots:
    Seems like we might finally get some combat/defensive station improvements in the near future:

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  18. `Helliongender: ⚧ Learned

`Hellion
    Parrots:
    It's pretty certain that the next game updates will deal with war and diplomacy. Another screen they posted shows what looks like defense stations placed together, so maybe they'll remove their "cannot place around other stations" radius when building them.

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. fantadomatgender: ⚧ Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    Yeah,lets pray that after 10 more dlcs and "patches" the game will be playable.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Make America Great Again IDtenTgender: ⚧ Contact me for a good time Patron

IDtenT
    Parrots:
    Or just make them build without having to place them? That's micromanagement hell. Imho. However building an impenetrable fortress should be achievable. The balance is currently in favour of the aggressor.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. fantadomatgender: ⚧ Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    Only Russians can mount a war winning defence.

• Salute Salute x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Space Satangender: ⚧ Arcane

Space Satan
    Parrots:
    Devs said they wanted to replace spaceports with shipyard. Keeping spaceports to some functions but building ships from some well protected hub. That may be it. They always expressed dissatisfaction with spaceport mechanics, when if you kill all shipyards enemy can't perform a comeback.

^ Top  
  23. krisgender: ⚧ Arcane

kris
    Parrots:
    England/GB done that many times, although some people claim they are using an exploit. (some also claim that about the Russians)

^ Top  
  24. RhodokMasterRaceOfficialgender: ⚧ Savant

RhodokMasterRaceOfficial
    Parrots:
    geography OP please nerf

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  25. Jimmiousgender: ⚧ Magister

Jimmious
    Parrots:
    They got lucky spawn

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)