Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stellaris - Paradox new sci-fi grand strategy game

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
All biophages need food to grow and generate manpower. It will likely not matter versus the AI, as it is too timid, but if you neglect food generation your will have a hard time expanding versus an aggressive neighbour. Not to mention the advantage of outgrowing you.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Wow, I just realized that there was literally no "trade agreement" or something like that in the game. I could exchange strategic resources/money/minerals/maps and that's it. Or I could say, there is literally zero civilian activities between different empires. A space 4X game without trading lol.

Kuattro

Augur
Wow, I just realized that there was literally no "trade agreement" or something like that in the game. I could exchange strategic resources/money/minerals/maps and that's it. Or I could say, there is literally zero civilian activities between different empires. A space 4X game without trading lol.

There will be trade, you just need to wait six months to a year and pay 19,99 €. And if they are feeling magnanimous, they might bundle espionage with it. Otherwise, it's going to be another 19,99 for that.

And so on.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Can you guys point me to the right direction to look at the game so I will not blame myself too much on wasting 70 euros?
70 euros is way too much for any game, imho.

That said, watching your posts is basically watching every Stellaris purchaser react to the game.

Not sure if you bought the expansion, but it adds a few late game goodies and the LEX and ISB mods also add a ton to the late game.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Robots could be modified too in next patch.
DE8oVqqXsAEiSp5.jpg:large

Heresiarch

Prophet
Robots with Power Drills? Intergalactic invaders who can destroy our whole galaxy are in fact escaping from some even more horrifying "hunter"? Guardians of the Galaxy? OH time to pierce the heavens or something

Tytus

Arcane
Robots with Power Drills? Intergalactic invaders who can destroy our whole galaxy are in fact escaping from some even more horrifying "hunter"? Guardians of the Galaxy? OH time to pierce the heavens or something

The power drill is for penetrating your asshole when Paradox fucks you over with the price of their next batch of DLCs.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
There seem to be a separate list of traits for synthetics to replace genetic traits as synths have 200% habitability so most genetic ones make no sense.

The Scourge appeared and WTF, 400k fleets destroying everything in its way? They are still quite far away from me but I can't help but feel it to be a cheap way to give an "END GAME CHALLENGE!!1". And with the way fleets movement, ship battles, and ship design/building/logistics work in this game, it will probably a nightmare to actually fight those space zergs.

End-game crisis is a joke http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...nd-strategy-game.101914/page-121#post-5102516 when you have only 1 planet on insane difficulty. Insane difficulty is meant for people currently undergoing treatment in asylums and is a step up from chimpanzee (hard) difficulty. Paradox employees play on normal.

Also, some codexers were unable to understand what was going on in those 2 screenshots, which was not surprising. There were 2 separate engagements: my 250k fleet vs 117k fleet in the 1st screenshot and my 250k fleet vs 117k + 117k + 117k fleets in the 2nd screenshot.
I wouldn't call them a joke, I'd just say they aren't that punishing, esp to skilled players. The unbidden are kind of weak though. Esp on their first wave.

The ISB mod supposedly has a feature to make crises more difficult.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Yeah the scourge could actually be handled after checking out their stats. They have no shield, ridiculous amount of armor, and use tons of the bomber equivalent and missiles. So I switched my fleet's main armament to plasma + flak + PD, and I could fight them with weaker forces while suffering minimal losses.

Random rant here: yesterday I have actually played a bit more Endless Space 2 and it seems it's even more dull than Stellaris. I was rushing science so I could finish the United Empire's questline and it was super easy. Enemies didn't bother to attack me, hazard worlds were super easy to colonize, and all the buildings were easy to build. I just kept build stuff, end turn, build stuff, end turn...I didn't even need to explore nor expand nor exterminate. The only thing, exploit, was there but it was completely effortless. I was swimming in moneydust and influence, and I could buy literally anything, including strategic resources (IMO the resource market is BADLY made and breaks the game). by turn 100 I have already reached like 3-4k/turn science with only 3 systems + 1 gas giant which allows me to get end-game tech within 4 to 5 turns. Oh well.

Yeah the scourge could actually be handled after checking out their stats. They have no shield, ridiculous amount of armor, and use tons of the bomber equivalent and missiles. So I switched my fleet's main armament to plasma + flak + PD, and I could fight them with weaker forces while suffering minimal losses.
Easiest way is to just hit their homeworld before they've spread too far. All their fleets die instantly if they have no other worlds. At least, that was the way I played it the last time I encountered them. May have changed since then.

rezaf

Cipher
Quests in 4x games were a mistake.

I thought Stellaris in it's current form might actually have worked better if the player filled role similar to that in Drox Operative, as the commander of a single starship (or maybe small fleet) instead of the ruler of an empire.
Flying around discovering story vignettes would make much more sense, the truly atrocious parts of the game could be skipped entirely (fleet combat with few vessels in controlled matchups might actually be quite decent, for example) and you could have a CrusaderKings'esque thing going on with your crew and/or officers.
Generate an already populated galaxy when the game starts, complete with some more story vignettes involving the races that are there (and they might give you missions and such) ... aim for a single game taking maybe ten hours ... it could be really cool.

But yeah, I agree - the quests in Endless Legend also struck me as kinda misplaced...

rezaf

Cipher
rezaf StarDrive is laughable unfinished garbage. I don't think that guy even tried with the tech tree and he moved on to make StarDrive 2 before he ever made things like the resource shipping work right.

Kinda forgot to reply to that earlier - yes, I DID write SD was very flawed, but my statement stands, it's the space 4x I had the most fun out of the box with before the seams started coming apart.

kris

Arcane

The power drill is for penetrating your asshole when Paradox fucks you over with the price of their next batch of DLCs.

LOL. Paradox customer asses are so sloppy you can easily pop in a dozen full price DLCs there.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Quests in 4x is okay if implemented carefully. the problem of Stellaris is that it is a carcass for a dozen of DLCs after which it will be enjoyable. My experience from recent patches that game gradually becomes better. The downside is, of course, that we haveto wait for several years util all that will make game great will be released.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris dev diary. Today we'll be talking about some changes coming to robots in the 1.8 'Čapek' update, including the ability to modify Robotic pops. All changes mentioned in this dev diary are part of the free update.

Robomodding
In the 1.8 update, it will now be possible to create different 'models' of Robot, Droid and Synth pops through a system similar to genemodding. By researching the 'Machine Templates' engineering technology, you will get access to robomodding and a single robot trait point. More robot trait points can be gained through further engineering research. Using these points, you can create templates with different configurations of traits. Rather than using the basic biological traits, robotic Pops have their own set of traits, some of which are not available to the more basic robotic types. Once a template is created, it is immediately available to be used when building robotic Pops on a planet, and existing robotic Pops can be converted into that template through a special Robomodding project that uses Engineering research.
index.php

index.php

In addition to adding robomodding, we've also added support for switching Pop portraits into the genemodding and robomodding systems. If set to be permitted for a particular species class, that species class can have its portrait changed to any other portrait in the same species class as part of the template creation process. This system is also fully accessible to modders. But more on that in a later dev diary.
index.php

One final note: Since the addition of traits to robotic Pops will make them, and Synthethically Ascended empires, stronger overall, we're going to be doing a balance pass on them and possibly making changes and/or buffing the other ascension paths before 1.8 comes out.

Robot Building
We've also made some improvements to how you build robotic pops. Robotic pops are now built through their own 'Build Pop' interface in the planet view, which lets you select what robotic model you want to build and also has the option to start building several Pops at a time. If this option is checked, you will be able to build robotic Pops on any number of tiles with one simple click each, massively cutting down on the clicking needed to fill up a planet. Note that this is only a UI change, and does not in any way change the mechanics of how robotic Pops are built.
index.php

AI Policy & Techs
The way the AI policy works has always seemed inconsistent: Outlawing AI prevents you from building dumb robotic workers, but does not prevent researching Sapient AI or installing it on a spaceship. To address this issue and open up for more varied use of robots, we've changed the AI policy to be about sapience rather than about robots, and reworked some related technologies. The Sentient AI technology has been renamed Positronic AI, and is no longer a dangerous technology in itself (its effect has also been reduced to +5% rather than +10% research speed). The AI policy will not appear until this technology has been researched, as it's simply not relevant up to that point. Once it *does* appear, it has the following effects:
Outlawed: Sapient AI is outlawed. No effect on robots and droids. Prevents research and use of sapient combat computers. Synths can be researched and built, but have their sapience removed, removing their ability to feel happiness and essentially making them into slightly upgraded droids.
Servitude: Sapient AI is allowed, but Sapient AIs are considered property and have their free will restricted. No effect on robots and droids. Synths can be researched and built, but have slight penalties to energy and research production as a result of these restrictions. They also cannot join factions.
Citizen Rights: Sapient AIs are given full individual rights. No effect on robots and droids. Synths have citizen rights and can join factions, but some traits that depend on Synths being property (such as Domestic Protocols, which increases happiness for owner Pops) lose their effect and can no longer be added to new templates.
index.php

index.php

Manual Disassembly
Finally, since outlawing AI no longer purges robotic Pops, we've added back the option to manually disassemble them. This can be done to Robots, Droids and Synths without citizen rights, and works the exact same way as a regular 'extermination' purge, killing the Pop(s) off in a relatively short time.
index.php

That's all for today! Next week we'll be talking about combat balance, ship components and the changes we're doing to put some clothes back on those naked corvettes.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Beyond Utopia
Back in Dev Diary #50, I listed a number of priorities for us going forward from Heinlein/Leviathans. A number of these things have since been added to the game, so I'm going to go ahead and list it again to give you an idea of where our focus will lie in future updates, expansions and story packs, with the items that are already completed noted with a strikethrough. The list is NOT in order of priority, and something being crossed out does NOT mean we aren't going to continue to improve on it in future updates, just that we consider it to be at a satisfactory level.

As before, THIS IS NOT AN EXHAUSTIVE OR FINAL LIST, AND NOTHING BELOW IS CERTAIN TO HAPPEN (unless it already did)!
  • Ship appearance that differs for each empire, so no two empires' ships look exactly the same.
  • More potential for empire customization, ability to build competitive 'tall' empires.
  • Global food that can be shared between planets.
  • Ability to construct space habitats and ringworlds.
  • Factions that are proper interest groups with specific likes and dislikes and the potential to be a benefit to an empire instead of just being rebels.
  • Ability to set rights and obligations for particular species in your empire.
  • Deeper Federations that start out as loose alliances and can eventually be turned into single states through diplomatic manuevering.
  • Superweapons and planet killers.
  • More story events and reactive narratives that give a sense of an unfolding story as you play.
  • More interesting mechanics for pre-FTL civilizations.
  • A 'galactic community' with interstellar politics and a 'space UN'.
  • Buildable Dreadnoughts and Titans.
  • Reworking the endgame crises to be more balanced against each other and the size/state of the galaxy.
  • Reworks to war to address the 'doomstacks' issue and make the strategic and tactical layers of warfare more interesting and less micro-intensive.
  • Deeper mechanics and unique portraits for synthetics.

Besides the bullet points that were crossed out, did they implement others since Utopia? Especially the red colored section?

Last edited:

DramaticPopcorn

Lol "let's add more RP storyfaggotry instead of actually even remotely improving anything that's functionally wrong with our game!"

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Lol "let's add more RP storyfaggotry instead of actually even remotely improving anything that's functionally wrong with our game!"

The quest stuff seems to work alright for Endless Space 2/Endless Legend. Must be something about the way Paradox does it that makes it shit.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Of course big fat Swedish nerds would go and collect stupid nerd toys.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom