Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stellaris - Paradox new sci-fi grand strategy game

pbrand

Novice
How nice of them. After buying the game when it is in alpha we can pre-order dlc before their release. They are trying hard to become the new EA.

Wasn't it Paradox who invented the modern concept of DLC in the first place? So it's more like EA being more Paradoxish, but being wildly more successful

Hellion

Arcane
Paradox did a Stellaris April Fools' joke by announcing the "Paradox Cross Title Multiplayer: Connect to Stellaris with another Paradox title and appear as a primitive race in the galaxy!"

17621986_1881640565438513_3828823483367323991_o.jpg

17637240_1881640568771846_1975573506779280364_o.jpg

This would have been so awesome if it were true.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Rome -> ??? -> CK -> EU -> Vicky -> HoI -> ??? -> Stellaris

That would be one hell of a playthrough :lol:

You could probably fill the gaps with other publishers' titles ;)

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Utopia adds a bunch of new content, art and game mechanics.

Compared to EU4's expansions - which were similarly priced - it's a bargain at $20. But, obviously, if you're not into the game, why would you put down any money at all? There's no way it adds/changes enough to alter your views in any fundamental way.

Hellion

Arcane
Just received a review code for the DLC, will write my impressions as soon as I get into it.

trais

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
You can always not remove from inventory a demo version of the game to try it out before you decided whether or not you want to buy it...

Anyways, the game made me chuckle right from the start (yes, I am easily amused):

ddqDR9f.png

Hellion

Arcane
The new Authority and Civics options during species creation provide a ton of new opportunities, I spent my first hour in Utopia just playing around with the available selections.

d08937f77dc34c28bc620b1dc28813e6.png

Eventually I started my first ironman attempt, and before I even started exploring the nearest star systems I stumble upon my friendly neighbours: the Yibrak Decimators.

2041dbe303dd46c6a621f912059b4d84.png

Needless to say, they purified me fanatically within the next 2 years.

Attempt #2, here we go.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Diplomacy is more active. Before, noone even contacted my fanatic xenophobes, now, some deals are made and even defensive pacts vs democratic crusaders. Already a huge improvement

Отправлено с моего SM-G900F через Tapatalk

Hellion

Arcane
Lots of small but crucial changes here and there. Planetary Capitals now produce Energy and the new Unity resource instead of Food and Minerals, and also Food is now an Empire-wide resource (that caps at 200 and starts dropping if you have a general food shortage) instead of being counted individually for each planet, so theoretically you could even build all your farms on a single planet and feed your entire empire that way.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Good to see I'm not the only one that got this :P
I'll play in the weekend but already from the first 30 min I tried yesterday I really enjoyed the options for Civics etc. Took me 20-30 min just to create my empire

DramaticPopcorn

Lots of small but crucial changes here and there. Planetary Capitals now produce Energy and the new Unity resource instead of Food and Minerals, and also Food is now an Empire-wide resource (that caps at 200 and starts dropping if you have a general food shortage) instead of being counted individually for each planet, so theoretically you could even build all your farms on a single planet and feed your entire empire that way.
Jesus christ how horrifying

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Whole update is a joke.
>can not purge or enslave single pops - slavery or purge is specie wide
>aliens with resident rights migrate even if happy and well treated and they move into shitholes all the time, and what is worse you can do nothing to stop it, there is no policy to forbidden it and even closing all borders will not stop them buying tickets
>combat or planet management is still the same
>diplomacy is still the same
>AI can not still develop their planets
>fanatical purifiers Armageddon is little buffed version of heavy bombardment, if you thought that you can actualy erase something with bombardment think again
>fanatical purifiers still use war-goals the same way as other empire do
>hive gets zero new mechanics , they just cut existent ones and call it a deal,
What you get is some perk trees and reformed governments plus megastructres that add little to game - its still boring and with tall available its even more boring stuff - which is fine but its not worth 20 bucks

Kuattro

Augur
Whole update is a joke.

A 19,99€ joke. Don't you get it? :smug:

People buying this (any Paradox DLC in fact), at full price. Now THERE'S a joke.

>aliens with resident rights migrate even if happy and well treated and they move into shitholes all the time, and what is worse you can do nothing to stop it, there is no policy to forbidden it and even closing all borders will not stop them buying tickets

To be fair, I seem to remember that always beeing the case with migration. Your pops, or other empire's pops, just randomly decided to move from their very cozy planet, where they were incredibly happy, to some random hellish nightmare that would make their life eternaly miserable. And then they blamed YOU for it, which is probably one of the most accurate representations of human psyche in games, as a matter of fact.

Them being able to migrate even with closed borders is maybe a bug that by some miracle got past by the incredibly efficient Paradox QA department, famous for their abilities all around the world.

Norfleet

To be fair, I seem to remember that always beeing the case with migration. Your pops, or other empire's pops, just randomly decided to move from their very cozy planet, where they were incredibly happy, to some random hellish nightmare that would make their life eternaly miserable. And then they blamed YOU for it, which is probably one of the most accurate representations of human psyche in games, as a matter of fact.
I was under the impression they would not move to a planet with habitability below 40, so they'd never move on their own to a total shithole. They will, however, move away from happier planets to these less happy planets, to escape the crowding thereof, because it's better reign in hell than serve in heaven.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Minerals are important now. Before, you can shit on them and turn all your mines to labs and power pants. Not going to work in Unity and 1.5. Minerals are very taxing now

Minerals are important now. Before, you can shit on them and turn all your mines to labs and power pants. Not going to work in Unity and 1.5. Minerals are very taxing now

I'd say other way around actually. Prosperity is OP as fuck. Private Colony ships are basically 1/4th cost colonization (energy being 1/2 as expensive as minerals), so you just throw down a unity building immediately, tech up to private colony ships, then spam them out. Minerals can come mostly from stations early game (which are also discounted) and if you combo the -15% building cost ethics and tradition everything on planets is massively cheaper too. I have 25 worlds by 2225 and I didn't even optimize that well.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The factions are an interesting mechanic I've to admit. They act a bit like "quest givers" of sorts. You set small goals to keep them satisfied and that makes some menial stupid tasks more involved.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom